4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, does require break-in, January 18, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Finlay Casual Shoe (Apparel)
This is my first pair of Keen shoes. I am coming from a Merrell Jungle Moc, which I still think is more comfortable at this point. But I wanted something a little more capable for hiking, and I live near Seattle so good traction on wet surfaces was important. Basically, I wanted something for everything I do outside of work and church: hiking, sports, around town... That's a lot to expect from one shoe but I think I made a good choice. The Merrell were slip-ons, but I did go hiking in them many times and they did quite well for what they are, and they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.

The first few days, the Finlays were very stiff and somewhat hard. They actually made my feet a little sore. I considered returning them, because I had read many reviews where people said Keen shoes don't seem to need a break in period and they are comfortable right away. But I had tried on so many Keen shoes in stores and they all felt wonderful, so I gave them a couple weeks. That turned out to be a good decision, because they did soften up and they are quite comfortable now. These are VERY well made shoes, so it stands to reason if they are going to last 5-10 years, they'll take a week or two to break in and soften up.

Haven't been hiking in them yet, but I did play volleyball the other night, and for not being a basketball or purpose-built sports shoe, they did quite well. Good shock absorption in the heel when I run or jump. Great lateral grip and control for dashing from side to side. The "toe box" is quite roomy compared to other shoes I've had, but as a whole the shoe feels snug and not loose on my foot. There seems to be a very stable heel platform. The heel sole doesn't look that wide, but when you are moving, it feels like your heel sits down into it in a way that provides great stability.

My sizing strategy was to try on as many Keen shoes in stores as I could. Never found Finlays, but trying on other Keen models the sizing seemed consistent, and I think I got the right size when I ordered online. Took a little extra time, but it saved me from exchange hassles, and I learned more about Keen shoes in the process. I had actually never heard of them, but when I wore all the tread off my Merrell slip-ons after 5 years, my wife suggested the brand, and I checked it out.

For such a solid shoe with high grade materials and a chunky looking sole, they are amazingly light and comfortable (once they break in a bit). For a capable multipurpose shoe, I'm happy with my purchase.

[Add comment]