4 of 5 people found the following review helpful
A fantastic but often flawed Star Wars game,
This review is from: Star Wars The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition - PC (Video Game)
Developed by LucasArts/Aspyr Media and published in 2009 by LucasArts, Star Wars The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition is a third-person action video game. The Force Unleased's story centers on Starkiller (a.k.a. Galen Marek), Darth Vader's secret Sith apprentice. Vader uses Starkiller to aid him in hunting down the rest of the galaxies Jedi who survived Order 66, the Emperor's command to purge all remaining Jedi from existence. Vader convinces Starkiller that after exterminating the last of the Jedi that they will overthrow the Emperor and rule the galaxy together. As the story progresses, Starkiller learns that not everything on the Dark Side is what it seems (There's a shocker, literally!). Here are my thoughts on Star Wars The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition;
+ Beautifully crisp graphics, gorgeous environments and smooth character animations.
+ Excellent story addition to the Star Wars universe and really had the classic feel of the franchise that's been lacking since the new films.
+ A plethora of different costume and avatar choices. All of them very cool.
+ Plenty of unique enemies and bosses to defeat.
+ Great voice acting.
+ Phenomenal soundtrack by Jesse Harlin, Mark Griskey and of course John Williams.
+ Physics when using the Force were very impressive.
+ Force powers are extremely cool and a ton of fun to use. You really feel powerful.
+ Ability to change your lightsaber color and abilities based the force crystals you can find and use.
+ Easy to pick up and play.
+ Bonus "Infinities" missions (Hoth, Coruscant and Tatooine) were top-notch, unique and by far some of the best experiences in the game. They added plenty of fun "what if" moments to the storyline.
- Sloppy port overall to PC.
- Fixed/zoomed out camera during boss battles. I absolutely hated this and can't stress my dislike enough. It actually made me wish there were fewer boss battles and want to avoid them all together as they were quite often an exercise in frustration.
- Hitting any key on the keyboard automatically skips cut scenes. Sure you can watch them later in the extras but it breaks up the story if it happens.
- Changing of keyboard layout keys isn't reflected in the tutorial hints.
- No advanced graphics options.
- Gameplay was too linear.
- No mouse support on options screens, only keyboard arrows.
- Some stuttering, lag and framerate issues, especially when entering and loading new areas.
- Plenty of invisible walls.
- Buggy targeting system.
- Too many things explode and damage you while fighting with your lightsaber.
- Troublesome camera.
- PC controls are exceptionally frustrating and tough to master on bosses. It took me over an hour to bring down that stupid Star Destroyer because the prompts were wrong. Something that should have been really cool ended up being one of the worst parts in the game.
- Cut scenes were often short and jerky.
- Sound and music would periodically cut out during some levels.
Star Wars The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition was many things. It was refreshingly fun and really brought back a classic feel that many of us Star Wars fans have been longing for since Jedi Academy. Leveling up, learning new weapon combos and force attacks, slicing down friend and foe alike in your quest for power, Force Unleashed introduced many great things. Unfortunately, along with this greatness came plenty of groaning, frustration and disappointment. Everything from the fixed/zoomed out camera boss battles to the awkward keyboard interface to the multitude of annoying bugs. As a life-long Star Wars fan I was willing to overlook a lot of these things but the fact remains that they're still there. It almost seems as if the developers one day just said "screw it" we're not fixing anything else. Despite all of its problems I really did enjoy The Force Unleashed. I just wish more of the kinks had been ironed out before the final release. The Force Unleashed is a perfect example of the Light side being unable to outshine the Dark side.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 11, 2012 7:55:45 AM PST
R. Nicholson says:
Nothing worse than a partially great game...just didn't 'polish' up some of the unfinished edges that lowered its overall appeal.
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 8:11:21 AM PST
Media Man says:
I really liked this game a lot but the PC port was just frustrating at times. Playing with a controller would probably have made some of these ideas more tolerable but I generally prefer the control of a mouse and keyboard. But as I mentioned there were still many areas that lacked polish as you said. So much potential lost. A shame really. Thanks as always for the visit!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›