5.0 out of 5 stars Significant Savings, Smooth Installation, June 15, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Office Professional 2010 Key Card 1PC/1User [Old Version]
Purchase of a product key card for Microsoft Office 2010 saved me a substantial amount of money, given that I needed only one license. (The CDROM product provides licenses for installation on two computers, e.g., a purchaser's desktop and laptop.)

Office 2010 was not preloaded on my target computer, so I downloaded the software from the web site named in the key card instructions. To get the download, you must enter the product key, which is case sensitive. (You must use caps for the letters in the key.) The web site gives you the option of purchasing a backup CDROM if you're a nervous nellie like me. The web site also gives clear instructions on how to proceed after the download.

The software download (585MB) took about two hours with a relatively slow DSL connection. Installing the software requires the product key to be entered for a second time (include the hyphens). The installation itself took about 15 minutes on a 1.67 GHz netbook, which had a trial version of Microsoft Office 2007 installed that needed to be removed. (The installation screen gave the option of removing a previous Office installation or leaving all or parts of a previous installation on the computer.)

As often happens with Microsoft products, the "installation progress bar" finished a few minutes before the installation itself was finished. The product then required a reboot to finalize the installation. For me, the only really anxious moments involved in the entire operation were the moments spent waiting and watching the screen while the computer was verifying the legitimacy of the product key.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2010 11:09:23 AM PDT
Nice review. Let's me know I need the disc for 2 computers.

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 4:17:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2010 4:19:50 PM PDT
Rocketdad says:
Let me get this straight...your laptop get stolen or dies, you have to buy a new product key for $310. You want to upgrade your home computer with a new motherboard, you have to buy a new product key for $310. You buy a new computer and decide to make that your primary computer, you have to by a new product key for $310.

Explain to me how this product key version deserves 5 stars???? It would be much more honest to sell a one year version for $100...but that opens a whole new pricing can of worms.

I highly recommend you do NOT buy this product key version. I forecast much backlash from the poor people that buy this version.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2010 4:36:57 PM PDT
Lynne E. says:
As I understand it, the product key is a license for MS Office to be installed on a single computer. When you download the software, you are given an option to purchase a backup disc, so it is clearly contemplated that you might need to reinstall the software for some reason, using the same product key. (I did purchase a backup disc, and received it a few weeks later.)

I don't know what Microsoft's policy is regarding installation of the software on a replacement for a lost, stolen, or dead laptop. I suspect that the policy is the same as for installation of the disc version, which has two licenses, on two replacement computers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 9:55:36 AM PDT
DianeN says:
How much was the backup disc?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 11:50:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2010 8:46:57 AM PDT
Lynne E. says:
The backup disc was $15.35, including shipping and tax. If you order the disc, it insures against a corrupt download. In fact, you don't need it, as long as you back up your download.

The Microsoft receipt for the backup disc even advises: "If you did not purchase a backup copy of the software, we suggest you copy your software to an external hard drive or DVD, just in case you need to reinstall it in the future."

Posted on May 25, 2011 12:52:06 PM PDT
All Microsoft software requires activation. Making a backup disc only enables you to reinstall the software but not beyond the trial period.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 6:49:46 AM PST
michiganmiss says:
Help, I need help. I currently have a Dell with 2003 Office Prof., I need Word, Excel, would like to also have Pub and OUtlook. Now, on my new Laptop, it came with 60 trial of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and starter tools ( Organizer? Picture Manager? )..I have been researching this for hours now... which was do I go? Is there no upgrade to my 2003? My starter is only for Word and Excel, but I want Pub and Outlook, dont really care about access, Product Key? Upgrade? Start all over fresh? I just spent thousands on 3 new Dells and 2 printers, but could not afford the cost of the 2010 MS, but so far since I loaded my 2003 on my computer, It is hobbling along, complaining that we may have some compatibility issues, and have, but nothing too serious...Help!! I see now when I try to open a document from 2003, it sometimes says " sorry, you have to get our upgrade...Syl

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 7:06:25 AM PST
michiganmiss says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 12:11:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 12:19:05 PM PST
Lynne E. says:
As far as I know, Microsoft never offered any upgrade deal from Office 2003. I have been using Office 2003 for years, and it works fine with Windows 7. However, I had it installed on the computer that is using it before I installed Win7.

Do you by any chance still have the Dell installation disc for Office 2003 that was supplied with your old computer? If so, you might try using it to install 2003 on your new computer(s). Technically, you're only entitled to install it on one computer (plus a laptop, I think) if you only had a license for one computer.

Also, you might try Googling for an available copy of Office 2003. It will probably be hard to find. You could try contacting MS, but they usually aren't very helpful when it comes to using older versions of any of their products.

You may have to buy a full copy of Office 2010, which is pretty good. (I would purchase a full boxed copy (or a copy with a disc), rather than this one that is a single license, because it allows you to install the suite on at least two computers).

You also might want to switch to a different Office Suite. There are free ones available (sorry, I don't know the names). Corel's is good, and can handle old Word 2003 files. However, my husband has always found that even later versions of MS Office were reluctant to handle his old Access 2003 files. Possibly the MS Knowledge base or Googling for advice will turn up some solutions for you. Wish I could help more. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 12:12:33 PM PST
Replied above.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (71 customer reviews)

$459.95