1,980 of 1,993 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars It's much better than most reviews make it out to be, but not perfect, November 24, 2011
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Touch Lighted Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite) (Accessory)
First of all, this cover is not nearly as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be. It doesn't feel like "cheap" plastic, nor does it feel like it's going to immediately disintegrate into a pile of rubbish. So let's start having a look at it in detail:

1) The back. Mine is very thin leather, formed around what appears to be a rubber-like shell. In my opinion, the leather on the back looks pretty good. It's tightly form-fitting, and form-fitted and bonded to the shell, so I can see where some casual users might mistake it for plastic. It is in my opinion, most definitely leather. Is it "quality" leather? Well, I suppose so, but it'd also have to be extremely thin quality leather.

2) The shell. The next layer would be what I call the form-fitting shell. It comprises the structure that makes up the back half of the cover. The kindle touch fits very tightly into this shell. It's certainly not going to fall out of there. In fact, it might not be all that easy to remove the kindle, it's so tightly snapped in. The shell tends to increase the bulk of the kindle a bit, which I actually like. It feels like it'll give me some shock/drop protection. Contrary to some other reviewers, I don't think it makes the kindle overly bulky. I think it gives a very thin device some much needed weight and substance.

3) The light. It's on a snap up arm on the top. There's no adjustment to it, it's either fully up or it's fully down. It gives off plenty of light to read my kindle in the dark. The light is at a fixed angle. It's slightly brighter at the top of the kindle than the bottom (it does after all, have to obey the laws of physics). The light is of course powered by the kindle's battery. That's your reason for buying this case and not some other case.

4) The front cover. It's made of the same thin leather as the back, with some hard material sandwiched inside, and then a felt-like inner layer. The front cover is extremely thin. It's not flimsy as other reviewers have claimed; it's actually quite stiff. However it's thin enough that it feels like you could snap or crease it if mishandled.

Pros:

1) The cover looks good, fits good, and is compact. It's just the right size, and it's just the right weight. It feels like the cover is designed for the kindle. It doesn't feel like a sloppy poorly fitting aftermarket case. Your kindle and the case become one.

2) The light illuminates well, it lights up the whole surface of my kindle, making it easy to read.

3) It offers adequate protection. The rubber shell will protect from drops and shocks. The front cover, provided it stays closed, will protect the screen.

Cons:

1) The light distracts me while I'm reading, particularly if I read while laying on my back in bed. I wish it had more of a glare shield. I might try fabricating something from a piece of black electrical tape, just to see what happens.

2) The light feels fragile. It articulates up and down, but does not articulate front to back. If you ever whacked it a good one front to back, you'd probably bust it off, at which point you'd have a non-lighted kindle cover.

3) The front cover has no means to stay closed. I wish it had magnets to give it a little extra staying power. My K2 cover had nothing to keep it closed either, so I don't feel slighted, but you'd think on the 4th generation someone would be able to figure out a way to stick some magnets in there.

4) The front cover is both stiff and thin. It feels like if I mishandled it that I could easily damage it. For example, tossing it into a briefcase or a bag and letting the cover get caught in just the wrong way could leave me with a big ugly crease. This wouldn't be so much a problem if there would have been something to keep it closed.

In short, I'm both impressed and disappointed in the quality. Impressed because it turned out to be much better than the reviews led me to believe. Disappointed because it's a very pricey case and I'd like the light and the front cover to be a little more hefty in design. I also really wish the light had a better glare shield. I deducted one star due to the perceived lack of durability and one star due to the lack of value for such a high price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2011 3:11:50 PM PST
I did not mind the cover but agree that some type of closure would be beneficial. Does this fit the wi-fi 3G Touch model?Kindle Touch 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers I purchased this model as well a the non-lighted cover; however, the cover did not fit the Touch wi-fi 3G.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 7:27:33 AM PST
I agree about the light...it's great but it needs a shade or a pivoting head. The light shines in your eyes when you're at anything but a directly-overhead position.

I've put pictures up on the main product page showing what I did with a piece of electrical tape. Your post gave me the idea. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 3:33:13 PM PST
Thank you for you review. Its nice to get a concise well rounded opinion thats right in the middle so i feel its actually honest and something that will help me make the decision on my purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 2:43:33 PM PST
Mick M says:
Great review. Thanks. 2 questions...
Knowing all you do about it, would you buy it again, say if this one were to be damaged/stolen?
Any idea on the drain of the battery?
Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 10:54:16 AM PST
I purchased some Moleskine-like black elastic to sew into a loop to hold the cover closed. Not as cool as a dodocase, but it at least closes the thing and mimics the look of a Moleskine (since this cover seems to be going that design route).

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 7:05:59 AM PST
Is there another option for a case with a light? I've always wanted one! These reviews make me think it may not be the best option? Suprised Amazon itself would make this suboptimal case.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 12:29:44 PM PST
Scott Fraser says:
I totally agree re: your comment about the glare from the light when reading on your back. In fact I find the glare from the light annoying at almost any angle. They should have put more thought into the light - my previous gen kindle "keyboard" lit case from Amazon has a bend in the lights arm that keeps the LED from glaring in your face - it works much better. I have the same thought about trying to manufacture a little glare shield with tape to make it better.

I am very disappointment in the light on this case, and will be giving it one star.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 8:06:50 AM PST
I. Graham says:
Yes it dose. It fits any kindle touch.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 9:02:59 AM PST
Very well written comments. This will really help me make a decision. Thanks for taking the time to provide such informative feedback.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 2:15:39 AM PST
John says:
Verso Rechargeable Arc Light for Kindle (Graphite)
I purchased the verso rechargeable light and feel it gives you most everything you get with the Kindle unit. The only problem is you cannot close the cover all the way; however it does not draw it's energy from the Kindle battery but you can close the cover all the way.
I am going to buy this Kindle Cover so I can close the cover completely.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›