2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 24, 2008
This review is from: The Lucky One (Hardcover)
I have read the reviews by others here, and I am most definitely in the minority. But then, everyone has their own opinion.

I found the book somewhat tedious. Initially, I liked the development of the main character Logan Thibault, as well as the antagonist, Keith Clayton. I thought the development of Beth, the love interest was quite a bit weaker. During some of the chapters developing her character, I found myself scanning and skipping along, rather than absorbing the detail.

The development of the characters of the antagonist and the love interest vacillated in the story telling. In the case of the antagonist (the love interest's possessive ex and father of her son) the author paints him first as a sleeze and then later gives him a decent side, and then back to sleeze again, etc. Very confusing. The love interst character repeatedly switches from being a solid, thinking, quality person to one who flips easily to an irrational/emotional side. Again, disconcerting. One of the late scenes describes her anger at being supposedly duped by Logan. Thereafter, with almost a one sentence reason, she almost instantly reverses herself and goes by to make up after just trashing Logan's life. Either a bad scenario or unrealistic writing.

Finally, the ending just leaps from the exciting danger scene to an epilogue type conclusion, in which the author jumps from the danger scene to several months later, leaving the reader in the dark as to what happened in the interim and how. In the final page (literally), we find that the antagonist died but has miraculously become a beloved father, and, at the same time the protagonist survived. No explanation of the fact that the last time we saw them they were both together, and in the same immediate danger, or how things proceeded from there.

I had not read any Nicholas Sparks books before; I tried this one to see how it would go. Based on the reviews I have read, I'll try one more but this time I think it will be one of his earlier efforts. I am wondering if reading Sparks is like reading Robert Ludlum's writing; which initially was good but ultimately became a caricaturization and lost its originality.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2008 7:25:13 PM PDT
B. Dale says:
I too was a first time reader of this author, although i have saw his movies. I liked The Lucky One and read it in one day. So, the next weekend i went and got my daughters collection. I read Nights in Rodanthe and was very disappointed. It was just a little too far out in left field for me. My daughter loves Sparks and says all his books involve someone falling in love, a mild sex scene, and someone dying. I guess I was expecting the mystery of the Lucky One to be in the other books too. Maybe I am trying to read the wrong genre. I think Sparks is an excellent writer though. Very easy to read and you can visualize the scenes. As a first time sparks reader and a first time romance novel reader, I would give the lucky one 4 stars.....

Posted on Oct 29, 2008 2:39:25 PM PDT
D. Sellers says:
For a first time Sparks Reader I recommend The Notebook. It's his best, most thought out story line, well developed characters in my novice opinion and my favorite. Have a great day!
-D

Posted on Oct 31, 2008 6:31:42 AM PDT
you are intitled to your opinion and luckily so far the comments to you were civilized. most times people actually act as tho it was a personal assault on their taste, I know, lol...it's happened to me ! . too bad tho. I always check two of the lowest , mid. and highest reviews before plunking down hard earned bucks . If we all agreed , what sort of site would this be ???
Getting back to Spark's book " you can always count on the fact someone dies " . I think he counts on the tear jerking factor .
This time he managed not to kill off our main character .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 1:49:33 PM PST
Spoiler alert!! I'm ok though. Read half at the beach and need to finish. After EVERY book I usually say "That was good. But it was no The Notebook!"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,402 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01