1.0 out of 5 stars An Unfortunate Final Season, November 3, 2007
This review is from: Gilmore Girls: Season 7 (DVD)
What to say about a show that outdid nearly every show on the books. Unfortunately this show's seventh season was nothing at all like the show we all loved the first six years. As an avid fan of GG I own the first 6 seasons, which have been lovingly watched again and again. I do not plan on buying season 7. As far as I am concerned the show ended with season 6! It broke my heart to see the show I loved more than any other morph into a substandard version of itself. Sadly Amy Sherman-Palladino's shoes were just too big to fill, and the new showrunners failed miserably to capture the original essence of the show. Gone was the quick-witted dialogue we all adore, the biggest deficet of this season. But there were other problems. The scenes during this season didn't flow very well, and many were just too long. Previously the show did a superb job of keeping things moving, giving us enough in each scene without over-cooking. In seasons past it was artful, allowing the audience to put together a fantastic puzzle of our favorite girls. But in this last season there were far fewer scenes, fewer puzzle peices to work with, and the scenes they did deliver were too long and frankly got boring. This more rapid pace in previous years also allowed us to get more of all of our favorite characters that populated Lorelai and Rory's lives. The longer scenes of the seventh elimiated more time with these other wonderful characters, especially Emily and Richard. The unfortunate tone of this last season was also hampered by the odd lighting. There is a rather big difference in the lighting between the seventh season and all the others. What happened to the warmth of Stars Hallow? The warm hues were replaced by drab, colorless gray tones that in the end couldn't help but contribute to the rather blah feeling that best describes this season. Plotwise my biggest complaint centers on the Lorelai/Chris/Luke situation. I'm not a Chris person or a Luke person per se. I found myself pulling for each during different times. In the end I did believe the Chris ship had long sailed and Lorelai belonged with Luke. I think it was a mistake to spend so much of this season focusing on Chris. The marriage and divorce should have been quicker so that the show had time to do justice to the eventual reunion of Lorelai with Luke. We watch the show for seven years, witness the marriage of Dean, witness the marriage of Lane, witness the marriage of Liz and even witness the renewal of vows by Richard and Emily, but for Luke and Lorelai all we get is a kiss? A stinking kiss! For that matter this show could have ended with season four!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2007 12:16:23 PM PST
John D. Lamb says:
I love your analysis! Especially the last line. The kiss was weird and too brief of a moment. The closing episodes in general looked like they were wobbling to the finish line. David Rosenthal's original ending for S7 if there had been a S8 was Lorelai to find out she was pregant/then get together Luke. I don't know which would have been the better choice. One thing is clear Amy Palladino- is the only- I mean only ONE who could of given us a proper send off. Hopeful the tv movie wil happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 9:38:03 PM PST
samroe says:
"Hopefully the TV movie will happen." Amen to that! And if it does and Amy S-P does the show justice, then and only then will I buy season 7! Oh TV gods, let there be a GG movie!

Posted on Nov 15, 2007 10:53:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2007 11:08:40 AM PST
J. SHARP says:
You put your finger on the problem with S7 right off the bat. It was extremely sluggish. It lingered on all the wrong things, shortchanged the right ones, and was as colorless intellectually as it was chromatically. The crispness of pacing, plotting, and patter was lost to the four winds. Whenever they tried to contrive some witty banter it sounded like an SNL parody of GG. The writing was a train wreck and effectively removed the characters from the show. People who followed only the soapish aspects may not have minded as much but those of us who lived for the pop culture riffs and literary references were appalled beyond the telling of it. If LifeTime had decided to do a ripoff of GG and had shoddier dialogue, worse plotting, and mediocre directing yet managed to steal the entire GG cast away from CW, it would look like this.

Here's where I may draw some ire: I love Lauren Graham. Honestly, she was the only reason I started watching GG to begin with. Every word of praise written about her in other reviews is earned and then some. But she also had a bigger hand in the Palladinos departure than is typically indicated. Her (justifiable) anger over Lorelai's stupid behavior at the end of S6 caused a huge rift between her and Amy in particular and when the network had to choose, they had to weigh the happiness of the extremely popular star of the show (who was now bestowed with story control powers of her own) with everything else.

Posted on Nov 25, 2007 9:43:40 PM PST
You really got it spot-on. I was outraged at the season premiere of season 7. You were right when you said the show pretty much ended with season 6. Season 7 was simply awful.

Posted on Dec 6, 2007 11:32:49 AM PST
Hootsky says:
I agree with so much of what you said, ESPECIALLY the lighting and the colors! That scene in the grocery store (not Doosey's) between Luke and Lorelai, in the frozen foods section looked like a completely different universe. I also remember a scene with Liz and her boor of a husband and Luke -- they're all having dinner at Liz's place. It was SO drab, and none of the wonderful little tchatchki's that characterize every scene in all the previous seasons. For me, that was a big downer.

Yes, the kiss was disappointing. One bright spot in that last episode is the banter between Emily and Lorelai -- a promise of their ongoing healing and connection. I always LOVED their arguments. For me, their relationship was probably the most believable and real and heart wrenching.

Posted on Jan 30, 2008 5:10:00 PM PST
Doris says:
The show ended with Season Six and the departure of the Palladinos. Season Seven was not even worthy of the title.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 5:26:09 PM PST
sorry to say, as big a Gilmore Girls fan as i am - the show was showing signs of weakness before Season 7.
yes, the Palladinos were missed. but they also set up most of what Season 7 was. basically, the first three
seasons (Rory's Chilton years) were near perfect. but as soon as she headed off to Yale, Gilmore Girls was
never quite the same. Was Season 7 great? no. but one star? gimme a break...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2009 8:28:07 PM PDT
ladylex says:
I must have missed stuff about Lauren Graham being involved in the Palladinos departure from the show. What was that about? I would think that rumored GG movie isn't going to happen, since it's been over 2 years now since the show ended (and in my opinion, it ended weakly and badly). I can't help wondering if Amy Sherman Palladino deliberately messed things up if she knew she was leaving the show at the end of Season 6, as a way of giving the show the "finger" as she left. I wonder also what it was about Lorelai's actions at the end of season 6 that upset Lauren Graham. I remember reading a TV Guide article written in 2005 or so where she said she thought Lorelai should wind up with Christopher, which is where the plot went for around half of season 7. I haven't watched season 7 since it aired and don't ever intend to buy the season on DVD, but I will be watching it when ABC Family shows it for the first time starting next week.

Posted on Oct 23, 2010 1:16:02 PM PDT
Erica Reid says:
I wholeheartedly agree.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 12:11:20 AM PST
L. Omar says:
I do agree with you.. however give season 7 another watch! I have come to appreciate it a LOT more than the first time I saw it. I think the writers did the best they could without Amy Sherman Palladino.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (382 customer reviews)

$59.98 $19.99