3.0 out of 5 stars I was told it was just part of the device, December 6, 2010
Here goes. I bought this device because I love that it combined the full qwerty keyboard with a touchscreen. I found out that not everything that glitters is gold.

I love:

Full keyboard, camera and display on this device. It has a very smooth track to open the keyboard. It's simply a perfect idea in its conception.

I hate:

It's slow and I mean slow on the processor end. It takes some getting used to in order to delete multiple messages, but the WORST is that when I am on a call, the darn thing intermitently pushes numbers (like if your toddler was trying to get your attention and starting pushing the button on the phone to make them beep). It also has put people on speaker phone while we are talking which is a big no-no for me. Lastly, it hangs up while I'm on a call, which is the worst insult of all. And no, I don't have a fat cheek.

I can't imagine that RIM's engineers and beta testers didn't run into the problem. At least with my IPhone, the screen goes black when you put it up to your ear so this doesn't happen. I say back to the drawing board and I'm sending this back.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2011 11:51:44 PM PDT
T. Kligerman says:
I have the same problem with my storm II Blackberry about pushing the buttons or hanging up when talking, so it seams that they actually didn`t notice this problem at all!!

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 5:39:21 AM PDT
Chris says:
I think your phone has tome trouble with the light sensor.. that detects when your face is on the screen so it can shut off the touchscreen, that´s all.

I´ve had mine for almost a year and other than the screen getting greasy, there are no other undesired effects.

Posted on May 9, 2011 8:09:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2011 8:14:35 AM PDT
Freshtex says:
ha ha ha, i just had to laugh, i get the same problem with mine, i love the concept of the phone, but i just hate the stupid behavior when in a call, once your ear touches the screen it's problems, the thing is once in a call it gives you four bars on the screens lower half "speaker, mute, hold & add participant. that's why i use my headset for most calls to avoid this issue.

Posted on May 16, 2011 11:14:41 AM PDT
gabes says:
does bbm still work if bought from amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 11:34:33 AM PDT
Freshtex says:
yes, bbm works just fine.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 4:18:14 PM PDT
Ivan says:
I have had it for about a month, and it works perfectly, deactivating the screen when I'm in a call (face on screen), since some time all the touch phones do that. My previous phone was a Nokia Xpressmusic 5800, and it did the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2011 6:28:48 PM PDT
can we do that? is it really possible to deactivate the screen when you're actually speaking? I was ready to buy it, but pushing numbers at its will when I am in a call or the "It also has put people on speaker phone while we are talking which is a big no-no for me. Lastly, it hangs up while I'm on a call" post...just killed me...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2011 11:06:59 PM PDT
Freshtex says:
actually "YES" you can deactivate the screen while in a call, there is a button on the left top of the phone for doing just that, not just for when in a call, but for all the occasions that you may really need the touch function disabled, after all you REALLY won't want to be in a meeting & while your girlfriend is telling you in a private call that she's sorry but it's over, everyone is sitting listening to your conversation/predicament. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 12:00:10 PM PDT

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 11:49:08 AM PDT
The phone comes with a "proximity" sensor which disables de touch screen while on a call. If the sensor is not working correctly you might want to try a "RESET". There are two types of resets, "hard reset" or "soft reset". I recommend a "soft reset" first, then a "hard one"

Here is the link where you can find the instructions on how to perform a reset:

If this doesn't fix the problem, then you might need to take the phone to a service shop.
I hope this information helps.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›