2.0 out of 5 stars I had already paid for this TWO times, October 7, 2011
This review is from: Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World (Kindle Edition)
I like Mr. Lewis' books. I admire his entertaining style and his insight, and I read all his new books. His series of articles on the European crisis is a must for everyone, and exceptionally well written. But I had already paid for this content TWO times.

For example, take his first essay, "The Wall Street On Tundra".

I bought a Vanity Fair's issue (April 2009) where it was first published. And it is difficult to buy this magazine in Europe.
Then in September 2010 I paid for this article as part of "The Great Hangover: 21 Tales of the New Recession from the Pages of Vanity Fair" by Harper Perennial. Fair enough.

And then in October 2011 I found this book, "Boomerang", on Amazon and I thought, this is the extended and revised version of the text I liked so much, I should buy this. But this was the very same article, without any changes.

It is normal for a journalist to sell his article two times, for a magazine and for a book. But repackaging the content for a second book in a year is too much for me. Mr. Lewis could have extended this text, he could have described subsequent events or at least he could have edited this article in order to make it more readable (why should I automatically understand that the phrase "On February 3" means "On February 3, 2009", because this was first published in 2009? Or maybe I should because I already have read this two times). A month's work would have make this book worth paying for, more interesting and more up to date. Instead, two and a half years after it was first published, I mistakingly paid for the same text and got nothing new. I was disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2011 12:10:52 PM PDT
Alek . . . Your point is well taken when you state that you've purchased some of this stuff more than once. I am convinced that Vanity Fair is perpetrating its own little fraud When it "slices and dices" it products a la Wall St. mortgage-bond traders. Thanks for pointing this out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 12:54:08 PM PDT
Alexey B. says:
But still that collection of essays by Vanity Fair was outstanding, I enjoyed it very much.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:56:20 PM PST
J. Gonneau says:
I just had to click on the one and two star ratings, and pretty much every one boils down to "...but this was already in Vanity Fair". Yes, that's exactly what it says on the copyright page. Why is everyone so surprised? Considering the very topic of the book, i.e., caveat emptor, the irony is delicious.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›