5.0 out of 5 stars Wanna buy a Roku box?, August 8, 2012
This review is from: Samsung BD-ES6000 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (Black) (Electronics)
I'm setting up a new TV room and bought this little player for the new room and a new (undecided) TV. I set it up with my existing TV and love this little box. It could not have been easier - found my wifi network and joined effortlessly. All apps seem to be working OK. Picture and sound are both excellent. Have not tried the browser yet.

I've been planning to install an AppleTV and Roku box in our new room with the new home theater setup. This player has the apps I need from Roku (Netflix, Hulu+, PLEX, etc.) PLEX even accesses my iTunes folders and plays all my video files. The end result is, even though I am a big fan of AppleTV and Roku, I don't need Roku or AppleTV to match what I currently have. (If you don't know PLEX look it up - great media server, expecially for Mac users.)

I bought this unit "used" through Amazon for $93, including shipping. It arrived in excellent condition. Such a deal!

UPDATE - JULY 2013

We still love this blu ray player but ROKU 3 seems to handle PLEX better. we use PLEX a lot to play video files from my Mac computer. Netflix works great! This is a really fine blu ray player.. had it almost a year now. I cannot comment on 3d performance yet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2012 12:24:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 12:35:19 PM PDT
I noticed you mentioned PLEX, which is primarily why I purchased this unit. I was disappointed when I couldn't find PLEX in the Samsung app store...how did you install it?

The following states that 2012 models will be supported soon, along with a compatibility chart stating "not available yet" for our model.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 9:45:21 AM PDT
Nicholas says:
I was juuuusssst about to pull the trigger on this based on your review when I saw Alex Firestein's question. If you could answer his question, I'll jump on this in a heartbeat.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 2:45:20 PM PDT
Couch Potato says:
The Plex app for this 2012 model has not yet been approved by Samsung. I bought this after using Plex on my son's Samsun BDP. Then I discovered his is a 2011 model. I use my Roku Box now to access Plex but am hoping Samsung and Plex will get together and issue the 2012 app.

I love this player as-is but will love it more when Plex becomes available on it.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 2:51:09 PM PDT
Couch Potato says:
I posted this before I discovered the 2012 Plex app was not yet available. I had used Plex on my son's Samsung BDP and assumed it would be there when I wanted it. WRONG. But it looks like Samsung and Plex are working on it. I hope we get it soon.

My apologies for any confusion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (58 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $185.00