1.0 out of 5 stars Wait...wait..Please wait before buying the Via1405TM., June 15, 2011
This review is from: TomTom VIA 1405TM 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Maps(Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I purchased the Via1405TM from Staples on 6/14/11. As you can tell from the title please wait till the end of the year before purchasing this model. I have a TomTom one that I used for last several years and it has been a solid device. It functioned as promised right out the box. So I felt good about purchasing another TomTom. Still I read reviews of both TomTom and Garmin I felt the Via might serve my purpose even though the reviews indicated problems with new MY TomTom service and incomplete firmware/software. I can now verify that both problems are true.
Now the three factors that drove me to look for a new GPS, are my son has started driving and several of our trips coincided, I wanted spoken directions and street names and the final reason was a sale with coupon and rewards gave me $80 off the price.

So upon getting it home I want straight to the TomTom site to update device. This went smoothly right up to the device being plugged into the USB. The MY TomTom service replaces the TomTom home service but it is not fully functioning and is thrown haphazardly together so as it is not easy to use at all. The site does not yet recognize the different 1400 models, they are not a selectable option on drop down list and it does not recognize their firmware/software. It does however recognize them as generic 1400 but that will not get you your lifetime map updates. As a matter of fact it tells you that the software version on the device is wrong. My other big problem is the Via lacks password protection but it does show you a symbol of a man stealing to remind you to be cautious of it being stolen. Lastly side by side on my computer table my old TomTom found the satellites within 40 seconds of it being turned on the Via still had no signal after 5 mintues and 45 seconds I had to take outside and sit for 1 minute and 48 seconds longer to find the satellites. So you will not be able to just check trip times inside the house.

So on 6/15/11 I called tech support to see about map updates and how to set the password. Here are the highlights; you have to send proof of purchase via fax or scanner to TomTom to have them add map service to your account. They may add the password feature sometime this year because it is a huge request. They were presold before they were ready so they just released them unfinished and features will be added as they come. The website is unfinished and will be updated with time. They recommend buying the One or XXL because the bugs are worked out.

Oh yea it found my home and work place so it is a GPS. So there you are.

UPDATE: Well on 6/16/11 I decided to put the Via to the test side by side with my One. I drove 20 mins to a baseball game and 30 mins back to my house. Here is what I found.

Sound Loudness: Winner -The TomTom One.
The One is much louder and I can easily hear it with the radio going, family talking and the windows down. The Via is difficult to hear under those conditions both were at 100% volume.

Directions: Winner- Tie
They were both dead on within seconds of each other and agreed on directions.

Easy of Use: Winner-Tie
The same basic layout no real learning curve if you have owned a TomTom.

Finding Satellite: Winner TomTom One.
The One found the satellites hands down faster. The lag with the Via is noticeable and this is while in the car.

Traffic feature: Winner Via by default.
The feature works in my city as well as surrounding cities but they are small places and we don't really experience traffic jams.

Spoken Routes: Winner Via by default.
I did enjoy this feature and it was a major reason for my purchase. The only thing that I found curious was on the way home it stopped talking unless I tapped the screen. The directions showed on the screen but no voice guidance.

Route assist: Winner Via by default.
It did work on my trip coming up just as shown directing me to the right lanes. I was impressed and my daughter was amazed and amused.

My impression so far is this is not a full price product. It is not at all worth almost $200.00 dollars. If you can get it with for about a $100.00 like I did it's just about worth that. I probably will keep it. One more big trip this weekend will be the deciding factor.

Final Update: 6/27/11 Will not log on to computer anymore for updates says contact customer support. I am returning to store for a refund.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2011 9:12:48 AM PST
John Dorian says:

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 7:29:06 PM PST
Thank you for this informative review and the update. You made up my mind to pass on this GPS.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 6:21:49 AM PST
Neal Gibson says:
I bought this despite the problems reported with My TomTom and I'm regretting it. It's already January 2012 and they still haven't fixed the website. I can't get my map updates or do anything else on My TomTom.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 10:01:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 10:02:10 AM PST
L. Panagis says:
I wish I read this review before I bought mine... It is now 26 Jan 2012 and the bugs are still there (see my review) my Via is going back to TomTom. I remember VIA chipsets for PC's had this half finished product feel to them... I guess it must be something with the name Via... Bad choice for a technology product apparently... :-)

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 6:49:46 AM PST
F. French says:
I've had an almost identical experience down to the first GPS being a ONE which created a good deal of brand loyalty for me. I would not purchase this unit if I had it to do over again. TomTom support has been non-existent.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 7:17:18 AM PDT
R. Willemsen says:
I have a VIA 1435 TM given as a gift. My computer is an eMac using Mac OS X 10.4.11 at 1.25 Ghz through a cable modem. This is supposed to meet requirements.
TomTom software is installed, my GPS is recognized on my computer USB list but no icon appears on the desktop and the TomTom software says No Unit Connected. Therefore I cannot connect to download maps or upgrades. Now their satelite access for this and several other units has gone down so I am dead. Their support group is unable to help at this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 8:40:56 AM PDT
Neal Gibson says:
I had the same problem using Internet Explorer but when I changed my default browser to Firefox everything worked fine. You might try that.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 5:58:33 PM PDT
Keybear says:
Thanks for such a clear and concise review. I'm going to pass on the VIA too. Seems this is becoming an epidemic for companies and their newer products. I also have a TomTom One and it works great. Wanted to upgrade since map updates cost so much and you can get lifetime updates (technically). Now I'll just put up with my 3 year old map and hope for the best.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:59:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 7:03:40 AM PST
Tia Mimi says:
Thank you so much for your review. I'm trying to decide wich GPS should I'll buy to my husband this Christmas. Do you have one in mind to recommend me?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:10:29 AM PST