4.0 out of 5 stars "Please. I don't want to fight", June 9, 2010
This review is from: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (The Twilight Saga) (Hardcover)
"Please. I don't want to fight"
Bree Tanner was a fifteen year old runaway before she became a vampire. Now, a three-month-old vampire, Bree has to find ways to stay alive, to feed without getting caught, and to find the truth about her new life. But Riley, the leader of this gang, is spurring them to war.

I Liked:
Right off, I need to say that I have recently finished Eclipse and did actually find myself interested in the character of Bree Tanner. She seemed interesting and was the first time we had seen a newborn vampire that wasn't so hostile. This book expands on her small part in Eclipse and there are many fascinating aspects.
Bree Tanner, for one, is not a Bella clone. She is far more independent and curious, a lot more proactive and a lot more involved in her own life. I thought she had way more spunk than Bella has ever shown. Sure, Bree has no hobbies either, besides reading, but Bree is a newborn vampire. I don't expect to find her in a knitting circle.
Fred needs to seriously have his own novella. He has a power that is absolutely creative and interesting and this novella (focusing on Bree) barely gives him a chance to show it off. Maybe if this book does well enough, Meyer will write his story (starting, hopefully, before he goes vampire).
Learning more about newborn vampires in general was eye-opening. Finally, Meyer gets to explore her creation. We get to see newborn vampires have absolutely no loyalty to each other, no self-control, and no qualms about sinking their teeth into their poor human food banks. I liked reading Bree and Diego roam Seattle.
I also loved how Meyer acknowledged the other vampire mythos by having our newbie vampires believe that sun is bad, they can get staked through the heart, and to fear garlic.

I Didn't Like:
You know it's a Stephenie Meyer book when after meeting a boy for two seconds, the girl cannot live without him. Yes, my fellow readers, Bree becomes very friendly (never exactly romantic, though) with Diego and when he is gone, she is devastated to the point of giving up on living. Oh, please. Spare me.
Another part that really irked me is how, when the whole "army" of newbies appears in daylight, they spend most of their time commenting on how "pretty and sparkly" they are. Uh, the girls, maybe, but the guys? Particularly fifteen year-old guys? Have you been around fifteen-year-old guys? I can almost bet you they would comment on it, but I bet it would have a far more negative tone than "My you are so pretty and sparkly" (I won't recount it because I have no desire to reproduce such offensiveness here). Geesh.
I guess one of my biggest complaints is that Meyer takes a character, who was in the big battle with vampires and werewolves, and TOTALLY AVOIDS WRITING THE BATTLE SCENE! Bree ends up avoiding it by hanging in the back for two seconds, and POOF! When she appears, the battle is all gone, the werewolves are elsewhere, and I am so confused about how long this battle took, who was where, who did what, and what was the point of writing from Bree if you can't even write the battle that she would have taken part it? Lord!
Lastly, I have to mention that Meyer's writing is a little sloppy. I mean, she's not the best writer in the world (most elaborate, most spellbidning, most whatever), but this is her first book I had to reread certain parts over again to figure out what she was trying to say.

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
I didn't catch anything.
Victoria and Riley head off to a "gingerbread house" in the middle of the forest to "smoochie smoochie".
There is a lot of violence near the beginning, with multiple feedings, vampires' losing limbs, and burnings.

Overall:
I did like this book. But I wasn't happy when I learned that Meyer is hosting this novella on her site for free while I spent nearly $14 (okay, not quite) on it. Yes, the free version is only up until July 5th, and I probably would have bought it anyway because it is a rather nice looking book (and I have a terrible time reading books on the computer and don't want to fight with my printer to print out nearly 200 pages), but I still want to warn those who are on the fence. It may be better to read it online, see if you like it, and then shell out the 14 bucks or whatever sale you can snag (and there are tons of sales to be found).
So, nice book, neat insights, new characters. Is it brilliant? No. Is it interesting? Yes. Is it absolutely vital to understanding Eclipse? No. Do I recommend? For a nice, quick "time waster", sure.

Brought to you by:

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2010 4:56:18 PM PDT
E. Weiland says:
The free version is now up til July 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2010 7:02:16 PM PDT
Thank you for the update! I will revise my review appropriately.

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 11:51:50 AM PDT
Ginger Rose says:
I almost entirely agree with your review. Especially about Fred needing his own novella (a spin-off spin-off? haha) but he was very interesting, also totally agree with Meyers nearly pathological avoidance of writing battle scenes. The only thing about which I disagree with would be about Bree's reaction to Diego's death-being so distraught she can't live without him. I think, had Bree survived, she would have been able to move on. I got the impression that the friendship she developed with him, as well as her brief interaction with the Cullens, gave her a small glimpse-however minute-into the potential for vampire life to be good. For whatever it was worth, and perhaps it was worth nothing, as the story ends with her death and without any mention of afterlife, she got the tiniest bit of an idea that it did not have to be all death and suffering, that one could live that life with love, compassion, and relative peace. I think that what she had with Diego was representative of what could have been rather than what really was. He was the first and closest thing she had to a real friend, though Fred was becoming one as well. Had she survived and gone off to meet Fred, perhaps something concrete would have developed between them, especially had she taken him back to meet the Cullens and learned their ways. I think that's what makes Bree interesting, the "What Could Have Been" aspect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2010 1:13:09 PM PDT
Ginger,
Thank you for your kind words! I hadn't thought of Bree in that way, about her glimpsing the Cullens'' compassion and love and being able to take it on in her further adventures (had she been able to avoid death, of course).
Thank you for taking the time to comment, I love hearing new insights and opinions!

Posted on Jun 16, 2010 6:30:42 AM PDT
E. A Solinas says:
Very nice, insightful review. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2010 8:20:57 AM PDT
E. A Solinas,
Thank you very much for your kind words :)

Posted on Jun 16, 2010 4:51:44 PM PDT
Crystal,
Really well thought out review! Reviewing is the new OCD for me. Clicked your profile and added you as an Amazon friend. Hope you don't mind. Keep on reviewing! Julie

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2010 8:08:31 AM PDT
Julia,
Thank you! I've added you as a friend as well...can't wait to read more of your reviews!

Posted on Jul 1, 2010 2:45:24 PM PDT
Shasta says:
Don't feel bad about paying money for the book. Its not up for long and you can't download it anyway. I'd rather pay and have it to read for later. Besides that it says "One dollar for each book sold will be donated to the American Red Cross". I rather pay for the book and help people.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 4:25:05 PM PDT
Shasta,
True enough. I am not big on the whole ebook/computer reading thing anyway. And knowing that a dollar of the price is going to a good cause is always nice.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›