5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong., December 8, 2013
This review is from: Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
You can't go wrong with this book if you have or want a dog. An excellent book to get before you bring a dog into your family. It should be required reading before anyone gets a dog. I asked Vine to send me this book for the reasons most will be drawn to it: I have a dog that has behaviors I don't understand and I need some help. I did not find the solution, but no book is perfect. What I did find was solid information about the overall training of and living with dogs and some insightful, credible, science-based information about why dogs do what they do.

I did not know the book was written by veterinarians, which may have turned me off. HOWEVER, author Steve Dale has done a great job of making the book readable or the vets were good writers because the book is engaging and clever. Information is presented with examples of specifically named dogs, which brings the information to life; pictures are included; and each chapter has a wrap up "What Did we Say?" Since each chapter was written by a different person as is common in books by academicians, there is no index*, which I would have liked, but each chapter is a jewel. The chapter "I Know They're Normal Behaviors, but How do you Fix Them? Common Problems That Can Drive any Dog Owner to Howl," should be required, like a marriage license. "Can't we Just Talk?" and "Creating a Mensa Dog?" are also standouts. As I have an older dog in my family and have ushered two other dogs through their older years, I really appreciated the chapter on "Dogs with an AARF Card." The chapter on phobias, "I know it's going to rain, and I hate the Fourth of July," is another that can save lives because as the book points out, "unwanted behaviors is the number-one reason dogs are relinquished."

This is a much-need book from experts in a critical field that can help more dogs remain in the home and not homeless. If you have a dog or want a dog or know anyone who has or wants a dog, you owe it to yourself or them to get this book. It's great. I wish I had thought of it.

*Update: Per the comments below, after further inspection, apparently an index is a part of the final version.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2014 3:12:47 PM PST
Joe M says:
I don't understand why multiple authors would lead to the lack of an index, especially with the writing/publishing tools available today.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 7:13:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2014 7:50:19 PM PST
Born to Read says:
You are absolutely correct, and I presumed that the the lack of index was because of the multiple authorship. Indexing is a complicated process even with electronic assistance. Typically, authors are asked to suggest terms they feel are important and then programs are used to generate the index. In this case, someone (or a program) would have to organize the various important keywords submitted by each author. Some publishers do not include the index because it takes more time and requires editing and checking that each term points to the correct page in the final copy. I reviewed a proof of the book and perhaps the index will be included in the final version. That would be great. For that I would buy another copy of this informative book.

Update: A closer look at the copy revealed a page titled "Index." Apparently, there will be an index. I apologize for not seeing this page and presuming the index would not included.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 1:08:36 PM PST
I've been doing professional DTP for decades. There is no technical reason for not having an index. The quality of the index is a different matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 1:43:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2014 1:43:37 PM PST
Born to Read says:
I love the picture of Crom on your website, Mr. McAllister. I read a little about him and will go back to it. Dogs are my favorite people. My forever dog died that year, too. You are a gifted writer. Reading "site logs" must be interesting. I did not know such a thing existed. I started trying to figure out what DTP was and became curious about you and looked at your site, mentioned in your Amazon profile. Did your logs tell you that. Just kidding. Anyway, time to get back to work and not spend too much time reading about your great dog and getting sad over missing mine. :) Sorry everyone else for this little diversion, but I was captivated by Mr. McAllister's great site and his wonderful dog, Crom. Dog lovers will gather around these reviews and go off on tangents. I apologize.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›