43 of 57 people found the following review helpful
The only thief review that needs to be read,
This review is from: Thief [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Please read this review if your a games developer, especially if you worked on this game. I am about to state the only review you need to read about this game and why it's fared so poorly. I am not about to flame you, I actually want you to succeed in future for your own and our benefit. (you want to make money, we want DECENT games!)
Reasons why this game has failed and completely sucks and is worse than it's predecessors:
1) Button bashing "E" to lift windows and planks etc (or button bashing period) is NOT an edgy, skillful or dramatic/suspenseful part of game design, it's actually quite irritating. You do not see people talk about how they wished there was more button bashing in games because it is just lazy and poor programming and is plain boring. How can you possibly make a game, with all this new technology and all your development resources, WORSE than a game that came out fifteen years ago on a modest budget? How is it even possible? Do you not feel ashamed? Because you really should.
2) You removed the ability for people to jump when they want to. Why? Does it make it easy for the 10 year olds - if so, why add all the porn to the game? If you're old enough to be watching boobies then you should be old enough to complete simple tasks... Or is it just too inconvenient for the linear plot? Wouldn't want anybody accidentally exploring, would we?
3) At the end of thief 3, Garrett became a keeper. In this game what happened to the keepers? He enters an old keeper compound and mentions nothing of it, same with the hammerite cathedral - almost nothing in there correlates to the rich history in the previous thief games. Does he now have amnesia? Is it all forgotten? If you wanted to make a new game in a new direction, then make a new damned game! Don't ride the name of a classic such as thief, make a new game with a new theme and call it something more appropriate - like "the man who opens dressers" or "The collector".
4) Why does a thief who's main way of living is to steal in order to fence stolen items to pay the bills, collect jewels and paintings? I really doubt Garrett appreciates fine art or cares about having a collection of useless trinkets lest he become as bad as those from which he stole. What is the point in having a collection if he can be caught at any moment? We don't need achievements to feel accomplished or to have our hands held all of the way with parts of the landscape that become "highlighted" when they are interact able. At least make that loot sellable; speaking of loot - since when has an ink bottle become loot? Why is all the loot the same everytime? Spent so much time on graphics, lighting and sound that you forgot about using a little imagination and creativity?
5) The old thief games lets you explore, you can plot your own way in, pick which rooms you do or do not wish to enter. This game is linear - you are forced to go the way which you are told to go, that is very boring and UN-immersive. Indeed you can't even fire a rope arrow at any piece of wood and climb to get to places. You have to climb at developer approved places, which is horrible because it removes using the terrain and building structures to your advantage.
6) You turned thief into an action/fps type game - all of a sudden Garrett is a super hero with focus (magic) abilities and he wants to save the world and the girl - all completely over-done, un-imaginative, copy and pasted crap from all the other action/fps games! He is a damned thief! A villain! He will help if it helps himself, but now he has a girlfriend he wants to rescue? Completely lame and shameful. You had something nice here and you turned it into something generic and crap.
7) BOOM HEADSHOTS! Yes! What this game really needed was headshots. Fine, headshots should be an instant kill. But I think the only reason you added this feature is to appease all those dude-bro FPS gamers that want yet another generic "woah lol" feel to a game they probably won't play and enjoy and isn't your target audience.
8) Sorry but Assasin's creed already exists. Thief existed before it, in fact. Personally I find the original thief games far more thrilling. So stop making this game into something it isn't and shouldn't be.
9) I can't believe you added a "boss". Yes, a boss...complete with almost invulnerability - the thief-taker general. Seriously. Think about it. Before you made this game, you should have all been instructed to at least play the previous games to have an idea of what you are going to do in this one. We don't need end-bosses, it's not that kind of game. He shouldn't be getting caught by him all the time because he's a master thief. If the trickster (you "developers" probably don't know about him) can not see Garrett and the trickster is a god, then why can the thief taker general? And why is his health points all buffed up? Is he super human? Is this world of warcraft and we need to tank him? Why the hell does he shoot fire arrows all the time? And yes, predictably you can finish him...yup, just like mortal combat. You guys really screwed up this game to the point of you hated what you had to work with so you decided to go your own way with it. You should do, but again - don't use the thief name. I doubt this game would have sold many copies if you didn't ride the bandwagon I guess.
10) Techno music. Just...no. This is a sneaky stealth game, generic, boring techno music when you've been caught doesn't add to the feeling of the game, it adds to your failure as a games developer. The music in theif should be sinister and creepy, like the original thief games you've tried to imitate so poorly.
11) Achievements. Enough said.
12) A talent tree? Really? Why not just add XP and level up system too? Oh, that's right - you were going to until the fans protested. The whole productions should have been protested had we known how much you'd mess things up.
13) The game is so linear you might as well have removed all of the movement keys (why did you stop at jumping? the rest is on rails so why not go all the way?) The only part of this game where you can actually do as you please is in the city...but we don't play thief games to peruse the streets.
14) Running away from a burning bridge and other things that stop you from back-tracking. Again, this is thief, you should have the option to go grab the things you missed before exiting the area.
15) The plot is ridiculous, incoherent and full of plot holes so large you can fit the entire population of burricks into it and still have room to spare. Save the girl...who's inside your head? and teleports you to random places that umm...we don't know where. Why steal those boring ideas from other boring games.
16) A big annoying sound effect when you die and he looks at his hands for 3 seconds and it doesn't give you a chance to quick load once the pointless sequence has started. In fact the person that did all the music in this game probably thought he was creating the soundtrack for a generic FPS game. Fire him/her and get someone with talent who understands the game.
17) The light gem. It actually looks worse than the 15 year old original did. It's just a white/black ying/yang ball.
18) You removed an immerse system that let you plan your thieving activities and replaced it with a mini-map...awwww! Just like in counterstrike! Yey! It was much more immersive when he had a map that was basically a poor, hand-made one and you had to kind of make a best guess at things. You used to have a compass to navigate with - that was enough. But then, console gamers might get all confused, right? Same with the documents you collect. The system for looting scrolls and being able to re-read them was nice the way it was, now it's just like checking e-mails in game. Are you monumentally stupid? Or do you just not understand the whole conceptual idea behind the game? This game is an insult to the original developers and ideas. You know they actually spent time, going around Europe, taking pictures and creating the buildings from them. It's called research. You did none. The graphics is about all that makes me awe at this game, oh and looking through keyholes was an excellent idea too, so it's not all bad.
19) Navigational arrows, highlights above guards heads to show they are "alert". If you made the AI better, you wouldn't need to have alert signals above their heads. Do you think the Nazi's in world war 2 had little eye symbols above them to show the great escapees how "alert" they were? No. Point is - you took away the realism from the game. It feels lifeless and...uh...checkpoints? Sigh. Being sneaky and paying attention to your surroundings is yet another aspect of the thief series that you screwed up. Why not just add a GPS system to track guards too? Opps, giving you ideas for a sequel - my bad.
20) Blackjacking is now a fully automated "action" sequence. Taking the gaming out of the game. Why don't you just create a movie if you don't want people to actually interact with the game in any way?
21) You pandered to the lowest common denominator and dumbed down the game so much that all the jar-heads with simple minds could play it. You didn't need to. You could have just made it like the previous 3 games and been a huge success, but no, you just pander to the majority instead of continuing a unique game. A sad and lost opportunity if you ask me.
22) Garrett how the fans know him is a stealthy thief and doesn't get caught up in high speed chases and climb clumsily up drainpipes making a hell of a noise.
23) Picking locks is terrible and designed for control pads. The thief 3 lock picking system was far superior and controller friendly.
24) Blackjacking guards is now all a scripted event - simply stand close (not even behind) the guard and yes, you guessed it, press "E". Ya know? Because it's waaaay to difficult to time it perfectly and sneak up to them stealthy like a thief.
25) Guards have boring and predictable conversations with each other. Voice acting is good but what they had to say was awfully written and boring, it's like Chinese that has been translated sometimes too. We miss guard "Benny" and all the dumb stuff they used to say.
26) Story - I wrote a story much better when I was 12 years old writing a short for my school teacher. The storyline in this game was probably written by one of the game designers little (8-10 year old) girl/boy so they can make a claim to fame and to make daddy proud or whatever. Cute, but costly and an embarrassment. Probably one of the worst stories ever written for any game/movie ever.
Tracked by 2 customers
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2014 11:54:46 AM PDT
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2014 3:07:28 AM PDT
Posted on Mar 25, 2014 3:38:10 PM PDT
John K. says:
i liked the review... i don't think he was trolling... and i'm not buying the game because of his review...
Posted on Apr 2, 2014 10:56:19 AM PDT
D. L. White says:
Actually, you did "flame" them. Repeatedly and with imagination. That being said, I'm glad you did. I was thinking of buying this game until I saw your review. It spells out why I shouldn't. Other bad reviews just said "it suxxor d00ds, totally don't buy it" or somesuch. You explain "WHY". That is far more useful. Thanks again.
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2014 9:32:00 AM PDT
Bob Nolin says:
D.L> I agree, it's a negative but helpful review, and I agree with most of the criticisms here, after playing the game for many, many hours. It's a lot of fun, but could have been much, much better. It's much too scripted and limited, the maps are small, every building looks like every other one (some imagination would have helped here), you really feel, after awhile, that you are being manipulated, when what you want from a game like this is a sense that you are discovering things no one else knows. When there's splashes of white paint everywhere saying "you can climb here!", it makes it a bit like, gee, someone else has already been here. And no one is ever home! Break in, no problem, no one's home. etc. Fun, but beware, it ain't what it coulda been.
Posted on Apr 15, 2014 12:53:56 PM PDT
Very good review, especially for people like me that played and enjoyed Thief 1, 2 and even 3.
Too bad that I read this review after paying full price for the game. I should never have bought it.
On the positive side, graphics are good and lighting is very good. of course, it is not enough to save the game.
Posted on Jul 28, 2014 2:31:18 PM PDT
catalin v lazar says:
Thanks for the review, sounds like they removed everything that made the game Thief to begin with....i'll pass.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›