1.0 out of 5 stars Good When They Work, Microsoft's product service does not help, October 23, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Elite 120 GB Console System (Console)
Let me start this off by saying I have been a loyal xbox consumer for quite some time (bought the original system at launch).

Today's experience with Microsoft has been an absolute eye opener as far as the quality of their products and their complete lack of service overall. I have had my 360 system for a few years and bought the elite and newer models of the systems to avoid the problems that everyone else was experiencing with their consoles. This morning I went to turn on my 360 to experience the dreaded red ring of death that I have heard about so many times from so many of my friends. So I called Microsoft to see if I can have it repaired only to get the answer that my warranty had expired mere days ago. They did however offer to repair the system for half the price of a brand new system ($100 the new xbox 360 being released in a month retails at $199) with no mention of an upgraded warranty after this one would have gotten fixed. Naturally I decided to decline especially since I had a backup system upstairs (my fiancee's). I got to play one game for about a half hour and decided to switch to a different game, low and behold a second system broken in one day, this time the drive door would not open, not to worry this system was made later and should still be under warranty right? WRONG, the answer the technician gave me for this system is because this is a different problem the warranty does not count for as long, so essentially two broken systems in one day. Please be VERY CAUTIOUS when buying any products from Microsoft in the future.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2010 4:44:46 AM PST
My xbox 360 suffered from various red light issues including the ring of death. Even after original factory warranty Microsoft support was very helpful and offered to repair my console free of charge. This was a very nice gesture, but after 3 separate repair orders and one additional order that sent me a refurbished system i still had the same issues within a month of use each time. Even though all repairs and exhanges were free the hardware was still garbage. I would very much like to get the kinect for the kids bit it seems my only option is to drop around $500 dollars on a "new" system bundle that i already purchased 5 years ago. I dont know if it is worth it considering most consoles move into the "nextgen" around this time. Oh yeah after 5 years xbox gets a redesign which allegedly takes care of the red light issues...how "convenient".

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 6:50:53 AM PST
I had the same problem. RROD about a week after the 3 year warranty. I know about the RROD on older models of the 360 before they reliesed the Elite figuring they would have corrected the problem with the new model. NOPE! I am now avoiding anything microsoft like the plague! Next computer.... Mac.... was waiting for the windows 7 phone because I really liked the zune interface... I'll keep with iPhone thank you. It just works. Oh yeah, I got the PS3 the same time I picked up the xbox; Its gotten twice the use and still chuggin along like a champ.

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 1:27:21 AM PST
Anti MTV says:
I just got my red ring of death also on my xbox elite recently.

I can't blame people for downrating this piece of junk.

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 9:47:27 PM PST
you can open your xbox to release the door and the second one will work... its just jammed. thats all that is. as for the first one your harddrive could be fried and possibly crashed. the red rings always have different meanings.

Posted on May 10, 2011 12:06:06 AM PDT
i thought i was the lucky elite owner who would never get the red ring of death as i bought my elite shortly after release, but, just like everyone else, my red ring of death greated me on may 2nd, 2011! luckily, my warranty was extended by microsoft by 3 years which allowed me to send the system in free of charge. my warranty runs out in 15 days. i know the system i will be getting back will not be my own. it will probably be one all scratched up from being toted to keggers and had 2 tons of beer spilt on it and a thick coating of hash and tobacco smoke residue. the previous owner probably kicked it alot and used it for a football when they got their ring of death. (i'm going to blow the freaking thing up if it's a refurb!) i dread microsoft now and ps3 is really starting to cash in as their games are selling at higher prices than microsoft's. the funny thing is, my ps3 burned up after 1 year of use and it was on glass with a ceiling fan blowing on it and nothing above it, behind it, or to the sides. how it burned up, i'll never know. what gets me is that my pong video game system i got when i was 3 still works like a dream. so do all my other 20 video game systems. what's up with ps3 and xbox 360? whatever happened to systems that last? now you have to pray that you don't get a huge chunk of crap for your $500 investment and i'm freaking tired of it.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 2:00:57 AM PDT
Nick Brown says:
Well said man. I am very disappointed.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 5:42:46 PM PDT
Wow i know microsoft is gay, but the xbox has all my favorite games so im kinda screwed, but i did however get my xbox renewed on the same warrenty 3 times xD and it even said the warenty was expired online.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 5:42:50 PM PDT

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 9:48:04 AM PDT
Miked says:
I've never had the RROD but I have had color bleed on my 1st 360 and the 2nd...well it lasted me 3 years. If it wasn't for several games on the 360 I would not own one anymore. I have had several problems with customer service and various other problems with updates. I have had to delete and recover my account several times.

The review is dead on. Microsoft has horrible customer service and will screw you faster than an ex-wife.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 6:40:41 AM PDT
S. McBee says:
Please don't refer to something as "gay", it's hurtful to many young people growing up and trying to be who they are.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (168 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $98.89