5.0 out of 5 stars And the list goes on...., December 9, 2011
It's amazing how our ancestors could use natural products to get the job done for so many years, and yet we find it hard to let go of the "new and improved" mindset that not only costs us more but also pollutes our world. Through the years I have learned of the many uses for borax, besides the commonly known laundry booster, and I will list a few of them here in hopes that someone might find them useful.

1. Frontloading washer deodorizer: I have a frontloading washer that I absolutely adore, but I find that sometimes it has a musty odor that transfers to newly cleaned clothing. This especially happens during the summer. I have tried leaving the door ajar when not in use, and I've also tried adding plenty of bleach to my white towels to "shock" it with no luck. There is even an expensive product that is being sold to deodorize your washer. I decided to try putting about ½ cup of Borax into the washer before loading the clothing, and that did the job. No more odor. I only have to do this occasionally to keep things fresh. A cheap and easy fix, and it is also working as a laundry booster at the same time.

2. Flea killer: I lived in Miami for a couple of years and also in San Diego. People in both cities told me that they had the honor (just kidding) of being the "flea capital of the world." When I first moved to Miami, I overheard a woman in the grocery aisle explaining how she was finally able to cancel the twice-per-month exterminator visits to her home to kill all the fleas her little boy was allergic to. Her exterminator finally told her to buy some 20 Mule Team Borax and mix it 50/50 with table salt, sprinkle it all over her carpets, lightly drag a broom over it to help work it into the carpet, and then don't vacuum for at least 3 days. Even when you do vacuum, some will still remain in the carpet fibers. She did this, and she hadn't had a single flea in over a year. I immediately bought the Borax and salt and treated my home. I never had a single flea in Miami or San Diego from that day forward, in spite of the fact that I had dogs who had ALWAYS been infested with fleas everywhere we lived. Apparently any fleas that came in on the dogs would jump off and die. I really don't know the purpose of the salt, and maybe you don't need it, but I wasn't going to take a chance. I've lived in many states since then, and that was 28 years ago. I haven't seen a flea in my home or on my pets in all those years.

3. Silly Putty: Okay, maybe this isn't something you really need, but it's fun to make this homemade version if you have kids or grandkids. Mix 1 teaspoon of borax into 3/4 cup of lukewarm water till mostly dissolved. Slowly mix this solution into a cup of white Elmer's glue. If you want it colored, mix a few drops of food coloring into the glue first. Work the Borax/glue mixture with your hands until it is no longer sticky and resembles the texture of Silly Putty. It may take a few minutes, but it will get there. Keep in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator. If you prefer a Slime or Gak texture, then mix 1/2 cup of glue with 1/2 cup of water, color it, and then slowly mix the borax water solution into it. It will be a thinner, stringy concoction. Work it with your hands till it is well blended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2012 1:46:17 PM PDT
Thanks for the great review! Interesting tips.

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 4:43:28 AM PDT
O4J says:
Thanks for the review! It was very helpful regarding the fleas. Also will be trying to make our own Silly Putty. Sounds like fun. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2014 10:14:36 AM PDT
MrIncognito says:
Borax is toxic if ingested and is a mild skin irritant, I wouldn't give it to your kids.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2014 10:53:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2014 10:55:00 AM PDT
"...the Material Safety Data Sheet lists borax as a health hazard of 1, the same as baking soda and salt." Crunchy Betty's note; she also provides a link to the MDS.

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 2:44:46 PM PDT
BeachBunny says:
Tip on the front-load washer: Leave the door & soap dispenser open when you're done to let the moisture air out. Also go lightly on the soap & fabric softener.

I've lived in Florida all my life and have had front load washers for at least 15 years now and never had a smell issue with any of them. I currently have 3 different front loaders and still no issues with smells. Oldest one is 12 years old. I don't use fabric softener, so maybe that would help.

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 9:11:16 AM PST
D. Com says:
The lethal dose of borax for a small child begins at about 5 grams - about a tablespoon. Cyanide is also a useful naturally occurring substance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2015 9:30:20 AM PST
ColdShot says:
there are many articles on the benefits of borax/boron, there is also a book called "hells kitchen" about the low and missing minerals from our food and how it affects us in different illnesses......perhaps you'd like to read further.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2015 9:33:44 AM PST
ColdShot says:
borax, in the right dosage can bring up the low level of this mineral in the body, it can also kill ants and fleas.
but how many people actually read past the warning level and know their chemistry either?!
not many I suspect, so they know little and then pass on their fears to others, not knowing the rest of the story, as paul harvey would say.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›