5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolutely, Positively Wonderful Book, July 20, 2010
This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Hardcover)
A Dog's Purpose is one of the most fantastic, wonderful books I've ever read. Many have tried to write from the animal's perspective, but Bruce Cameron has hit it head on. I've never experienced so many emotions while reading one book. I laughed, I cried, I cheered.

Put in the context of what is going on in my life right now, I was just waiting for A Dog's Purpose. My son and his wife had to have their 15-year-old golden retriever put to sleep after a long and full life, a short time ago. Even though I was 1,300 miles away from them at the time, I went through the pain and the grief. Right now I'm visiting with him and his wife and we started talking about them getting another dog. Initial reluctance moved on to checking out rescue web sites to starting to make a list of potential new puppies. And then they found THE ONE. And so while I was reading A Dog's Purpose, Tucker came to live with my son and his wife. I can see in Tucker's face the knowledge, the understanding and the love that is embodied in A Dog's Purpose.

My son is reading A Dog's Purpose right now and I know he is finding comfort in his old friend's passing in those pages and joy in the new, exuberant life that has joined their household.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2010 7:47:07 PM PDT
Becca: Quite a moving and beautiful review that has brought me to tears. Dog lovers can truly relate to this book and your family's situation. Everyone who has ever loved a dog and more importantly been loved BY a dog should probably read this book! Thanks for a moving review! Now I need to go have a snuggle with Fortune, Leyla, and Natalie!

Pam

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 7:12:03 AM PDT
R. A. Taylor says:
Thank you Pam. I really wish you could see Tucker bounding around in the yard. I am so enjoying being here during his puppy-hood and quite honestly don't know how I'm going to be able to leave at the end of the summer.

Becca

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 4:27:58 PM PDT
Nick Brett says:
A great review, straight from the heart!
Nick

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 6:49:50 PM PDT
R. A. Taylor says:
Nick---Thank you. The review kind of wrote itself with Tucker's arrival. BTW, Tucker is very good at laying about on the couch with my son, just as was predicted.
Becca

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 6:23:34 PM PST
Christopher says:
And here is why I'm buying the book. You put tears in my eyes with that review! Anyone who loves dogs (or cats or all animals) can relate to your beautifully written review. Thank you for it.

Christopher Smith
Fifth Avenue

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 7:51:35 AM PST
Prime Buyer says:
damn...when a user review brings you to tears, the book must be good.... this book can't be anything but a good read....just based on this review...and the nearly 300 five star reviews as well. I better just kindle purch this right now...

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 5:32:21 AM PST

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 12:59:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2011 1:25:13 PM PDT
regularguy says:
Very nice comments, I'm now considering buying this book.
We lost our St. Bernard named Rhone to bone cancer in Feb. 2011 and it left a a big void in our family, we did end up adopting another St. Bernard from a rescue, he's a very good boy and has helped ease the pain of losing our Rhone. Please take a few minutes and search "Remembering Rhone" on You Tube or Google and watch a tribute video I made for her, she was a therapy dog and a loving companion. Dogs are truly amazing animals.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 1:18:20 PM PDT
R. A. Taylor says:
What a wonderful tribute to your Rhone! Your love for Rhone shown through. I hope you buy A Dog's Purpose--I know it will bring you comfort.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 1:24:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2011 1:30:00 PM PDT
regularguy says:
Thanks for the kind comments, I just ordered the book.

I always wanted to give a home to a Golden....but we've had St. Bernards and stayed with that breed.
Someday I might just get a Golden Retreiver.....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (2,207 customer reviews)
 (1,895)