Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars This headset..., February 16, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Ear Force XP500 Programmable Wireless Headset (Video Game)
Is probably one of the more extraordinary headsets I've ever had. I've been playing games for years, and have owned many headsets starting from the x31's moving to Tritton's then to Astro's. I've even had studio quality headsets as my stepfather is a DJ (side job). Now I can't say that these headpsets are up there with the DJ equipment. But that's in the price range of 500+, and to ask for something to outperform something when it costs half as much is simply outrageous.

But let's get to the review part.

Sound:

The sound quality with these are amazing. I've always been a huge fan of Bose because they create speakers that just blow the doors off of the expected. What I mean is that the clarity of these headsets is amazing. If you're in a game and your job is to kill that enemy, you can simply find him because you can hear his every footstep, that click of the magazine as it get's pushed in the well, the cocking of the charging handle. The sound is crisp and clean like a good headset should be.

Astro's? They're good. They're REALLY good. I'll give them the performance of an x41. These blow those out of the water. Listen to music? That's pretty much all I do with these now that MW3 came out and ruined xbox for me (pc gamer now). The clarity of these headsets is simply astounding. The "Main" setting is perfect for all kinds of music. Want that extra bass? Put that switch/button on 4 and lose yourself in the nuance of sound. However; I have found that on this setting I have to lower the overall volume as the bass drowns everything out. Do not fret though, It's still plenty of sound to burn your ears off.

Comfort:

At first, these hurt my ears after long uses. I can't deny that it took about a month for these to "break in". After that month though, they feel as if they aren't on my head. They are one of the lightest headsets that I've had. The only one's lighter are the x41's, but that's a different review. The cushions on these are really comfortable, it's like a soft down pillow around your ears, except without the quills coming through the cloth to stab you in the head.

Durability:

While I have yet to throw these at the wall, I have dropped them many times. And I'm still wearing them as if they were new (except broken in now). Now I have to say that Astro's definitely "feel" more durable, but these are surely resilient to a lot of abuse. The plastic makes a slight squeaking sound when you bend these or move them a lot. But that's why they're so light, so I think if you just make sure not to rage hard enough and not throw them across the room or out the window you should be perfectly fine.

Functionality:

This is where they fall short. It might be that I'm on an Air Force base, it might be because I'm in a dorm room with hundreds of people around me. But one thing I surely had a problem with was the damn receiver. When it worked, it would work fine. No problems at all with sound or in game chat. However; when it didn't work, getting the damn receiver to connect to the headset would be such a pain. I don't think this would be as much of a problem if I didn't have multiple people using Bluetooth devices around me. Whenever the problem would happen the receiver would connect to something else. One time I had my teammates saying that they were listening to a guy "relieving" himself through my headset (receiver), made me cringe.

The other problem I have is now that I have switched over to using a computer, and have not tried Bluetooth with it, I am currently using this annoying 15ft. cord to chat with my teammates. It gets tangled ALL of the time, and the other times it sort of cuts out. I should really give Bluetooth a try on PC, I'm pretty sure it'll be more stable since I can chose what the PC connects too.

Summary:

Amazing headset with a variety of uses is only brought down by an UN-perfected system. It would be nice if TB were to get with Microsoft to create a sort of add-on or download on the xBox so you can chose what your controller receiver connects too. That would make it perfect.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2012 7:44:44 AM PST
C. Bitondo says:
Sounds like it's time to move out of the dorms?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 7:57:40 AM PST
Josh Benn says:
Wish I could, but AF says I have to have 3 stripes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 6:31:40 AM PDT
Tony D says:
I don't know what base you're at, but I know the dorms at my base I'd imagine these would be unusable with all the interference...Good thing I don't live in the dorms anymore ;D

Posted on May 19, 2012 11:56:17 AM PDT
M. Walton says:
Do these recharge like the XP300 and 400? I want a wireless headset that doesn't use AA or AAA batteries.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 1:09:25 PM PDT
Matt B says:
I will never understand how anyone can be impressed with the highly overpriced garbage that is Bose.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 3:04:23 AM PDT
D. Knox says:
I am waiting for a company to simplify things like the PS3 has with their headset. It is completely wireless, no AA or AAA batteries to worry about the headset has a rechargeable battery built in and recharges from any mini usb cable, it just needs a USB dongle in front of the PS3 and voila it works, zero wires, and to top it off $80. I haven't been able to find anything in a resonable price range for my xbox 360 and have to put up with Turtle Beaches wired headset, it is a good headset, but I would love to not have to worry about tripping over the wires. It is sub $50 and works well, but I would gladly pay $100 for something completely wireless (no umbilical to the controller for chat) Sony kills Xbox in this department, and that isn't mentioning charging for multiplayer via Xbox Live. Microsoft learn something from Sony. I tried to hook the dongle into the Xbox 360-S USB port in hope of a miracle but no dice, only PC and PS3. I will just have to wait for a reasonably priced elegant headset solution for the Xbox. I seriously can not fathom how some people (suckers) can pay more than the console for a set of wireless headphones, it is a bad joke. Get with it Microsoft.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 10:41:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 5, 2012 10:42:39 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 5:05:21 PM PST
Hey i own a pair of bose and i didn't believe it till i heard it...nothing beats Bose

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 4:11:51 PM PST
I am a 12 year old and will this headset be to big for me?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 4:23:05 PM PST
Josh Benn says:
Your age doesn't dictate how large your head is.

I can't tell you if it will, but I can tell you I have a decent size head and I'm 20 right now and it fits me, though uncomfortably, at the lowest possible size.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›