5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reimagining of a classic horror character, May 5, 2014
This review is from: I Frankenstein (3D) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When I first saw the trailer for this film, my heart raced and a wicked smile crossed my face. The fight scenes and the Gothic imagery really amped me up for some reason. Maybe it’s because I love unique takes on existing mythologies. But regardless of why, I knew I had to see this film! And thankfully, the fine folks at Lionsgate saw fit to grant my request. I, FRANKENSTEIN is an adrenaline-charged reimagining of Mary Shelley’s classic horror story and one heck of a ride!

I didn’t realize this film was based on a graphic novel until after I watched it. But what makes this piece of information impressive is that Kevin Grevioux, who portrays Dekar in the film AND who wrote the screenplay, actually wrote the graphic novel as well! This guy is a major powerhouse!! I loved the UNDERWORLD series, which he also wrote and starred in, so this is just one more feather in his cap.

I, FRANKENSTEIN is shot well and looks amazing onscreen. Do yourself a favor and watch this in 3D; you will not be disappointed. The lighting and imagery make the movie burst from the screen in 3D, and the result is a visual feast for the eyes. The look of the movie is half of what makes it so good.

But the story is the other half. I’ve said before that I love unique twists on existing tales, and this is definitely one of those to love. Grevioux weaves several new elements into the Frankenstein mythos and gives us so much more to love. I particularly like the Gargoyles and how he makes them ‘guardians’ commissioned by the Archangel Gabriel. This is a wildly fascinating concept and shows the massive depths of the man’s imagination.

There are many folks out there that will not enjoy I, FRANKENSTEIN, simply because it is way outside the normal parameters of entertainment. Although it had a wide theatrical release, it is not a mainstream film. But if you loved titles like UNDERWORLD, then this one is right up your alley.

I, FRANKENSTEIN is a major win for me, and I suggest giving it a look. Filled with impressive visuals and original concepts, this film has many different aspects for appeal and should attract a wide variety of genre-lovers. Make sure you watch it on Blu-ray at least, though, so you can truly enjoy the effects. The film hits store shelves next week, so make a note.

[Add comment]