ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin Fire TV Stick Grocery Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween

1,300 of 1,363 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars This book deserves more than 5, March 23, 2006
This review is from: The Book Thief (Hardcover)
I am not going to tell the plot of this book yet again, Amazon and some other reviewers have done it quite well...I will tell you that this is an astounding book, a beautiful book, and a book that I know I will read again and again......

I read a lot, two to three books a week, my family makes fun that I "love" so many that I read...but in the past few years there have only been a handful of books that when I finish reading the book I sit and try to think of who I can send a copy to, who can I share this wonderful experience with. A book that when I finish, I want to go back to the beginning and start over.

I am a little sorry it is listed as a young adult book, I feel that if the bookstores put it in the young adult section, so many people will be missing out on a wonderful experience. Yet it is important that younger readers, high school readers, read this book too. When I was growing up, I remember reading Diary of Anne Frank, and the feelings I had when I read it...and understanding the importance of everyone reading that book. Well, this book is that important, this book is a must read.

I am going to go back and read this author's other book, I don't know how it can measure up to this one, but if it is half as good, I am in for a treat.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2007 9:10:58 AM PDT
I so agree with everything you wrote concerning this wonderful book. I literally had tears running down my cheeks at the end. I've never read a more beautifully written book nor one with such an impact on me. I, like you, have recommended it to everyone I know who is a reader. I got my copy from the library, but I think I'll buy it when it comes out in paperback. I want to read it again. Thanks for your moving review. joswood

Posted on Dec 29, 2007 2:27:35 PM PST
M. Sundram says:
I also read several books a week but only 10 or so a year are astonishing enough for me to recommend. This was the best written book I have read all year. Sentence after sentence was beautifully constructed to tell a story of such breathtaking beauty and devastation that I could hardly put it down. Every time I smelled a cliche coming, I was wonderfully surprised by the turn of events. Brilliant!

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2008 4:42:18 AM PDT
A. Hyche says:
I cannot agree more with what you said about this book. I listened to this book on CD, and as I was listening to the last disk, I was literally weeping. I don't remember a book having this much impact on me in a very long time. I am also telling everyone I know about it. I can't say enough good about The Book Thief. I grew to love each character so much that I felt I knew them and was proud to know them.

Angie Hyche

Posted on Jun 7, 2008 5:29:02 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Wow what a review. I now will have to read all your reviews. Thank you. Barbara Australia

Posted on Sep 19, 2008 3:20:32 PM PDT
Good review, and anyone looking for an excerpt can find one here:

Posted on Oct 28, 2008 3:27:44 PM PDT
K. Muckleroy says:
Unlike most of the reviewers who have commented, I do not have the time or opportunity to read more than 1 book a therefore I rely on reviews from avvid readers like you to guide the way. I only read books on recommendation. So, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on so many of your reads. You mentioned that there are only a handful of books that inspire you to send a copy along ... other than this, what would your top 5 be?

Posted on Nov 9, 2008 9:24:26 AM PST
bwannie says:
Add me to the list of readers who were totally mesmerized and devastated by this book. I couldn't put it down, but did not want it end at the same time.
I finished it on an airplane and the stranger next to me quietly asked me the name of the book after I'd stopped weeping.

Posted on Oct 2, 2009 8:51:33 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
I cried like a baby at the end of the book. This is one of those books that seeps into your soul and whispers that you'll never be the same again. This is a book that needs to be placed in more than one section of the bookstore so that everyone can experience it, as you mentioned in your review. I read I Am the Messenger by the author. It's great. Markus Zusak is a gifted writer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2009 9:07:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2009 9:09:38 AM PDT
N. Gargano says:
I can't believe I did not notice your question, I just recently checked the area to follow my comments, so I had no idea you had asked this question. Sorry about that....
Top five to pass along? Besides The Book Thief?
Straight Man by Richard Russo ( my favorite of his, and one of my all time favorite books)
The Secret History by Donna Tartt ( I had a really hard time getting into this the first time I picked it up, I have read it about five times now....something about it just grabbed me)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Johnathan Safron Foer ( a great story, told in an unusual manner)
The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss ( I do read some fantasy, I know it is not for everyone, however this is just a great old fashioned story, just great fun. The first in a trilogy, I heard the author has had family problems, don't know when the second one will be out)
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, ( again just a great story)
It is hard to pick five, I have so many I read, and so many I love. If I could add a sixth, A Thousand Splendid Suns. I liked this so much better than Kite Runner. These are books I have bought for other people....hoping they would love them too. Again, hard to pick five.
Any suggestions you can pass along to me?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2009 9:14:14 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
N. Gargano
I loved Name of the Wind. I'm hoping the next book in the series will come out next year. You might like The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society. It's told through a series of letters and takes place in 1946 and details the German occupation of the Channel islands. But it's not as emotionally intense as The Book Thief.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›