Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars Un-finished business, May 24, 2012
This review is from: ASUS ROG G55VW 15-Inch Gaming Laptop [OLD VERSION] (Personal Computers)
Although the machine (G55VW, 8Gb RAM, 750Gb Disk) I received works with good performances, there are simply too many bad points and I am returning it.
- There is ABSOLUTELY no support from Asus, no phone, no answer to emails.
- There is essentially no documentation. The manual is a generic manual and has no information on the specific machine.
- There is no way to find out how to upgrade the memory to 16Gb, no documentation, no help from Asus. Simple question like "should I use one 8Gb module or two 4Gb modules" have no answer.
- Too many problems probably due to a BIOS prematurely released and not documented. For example, the sound volume control keys do not work, the screen is not turned on when a key is pressed (need to press a function key) . . .
- Basic features included in the software are not documented. Asus advertizes its "Instant On" feature, however it does not work (on or off does not make a difference) and I am not even sure what it is really supposed to do.
- The power unit is a ridiculously large and heavy "brick" weighting 2.3 pounds with the cord. Asus forgot to include a wheel-barrel to carry around this laptop!
- The machine itself, with its battery, not including the power unit, is 8.2 pounds. Way too heavy for this category.
- I was not expecting a Hi-fi sound, but I certainly was not prepared to the very poor sound quality of the G55VW. Worse than any laptop I have owned before (Dell, IBM, Acer).
In summary, an unfinished product manufactured by a company showing a complete disrespect of its clients.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2012 8:44:48 AM PDT
L. Chen says:
I thought it doesn't ship till June 1st, how you get it so early?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 8:49:59 AM PDT
LoveTech says:
Many different vendors are selling it and it has been available for 2 weeks now in limited quantities.

Posted on May 25, 2012 9:49:18 AM PDT
Mark Godek says:
"Too heavy for this category"? I have the Asus G53JW-A1 from Newegg. You're buying desktop power to go, it's not going to be a featherweight. I've almost bruised my leg and broke my back lugging my laptop around the streets of Boston, but I can play Mass Effect 3 at max settings wherever I want.

Also, there's a guide to upgrading the RAM on the ROG website now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:49:37 AM PDT
J. Kantzer says:
It only has a 660M; there's no reason why it should weigh 8 lbs. MSI has a version of the GE60 with a 660M coming out in June that weighs 5.5 lbs, costs $100 less, and has Optimus.

Posted on May 25, 2012 2:23:46 PM PDT
L. Chen says:
I heard MSI are paper thin and breaks easy

Posted on May 27, 2012 7:31:10 PM PDT
Damien Margo says:
I think you should keep it because one day you might have a really heavy computing task that needs this kind of power, and this is built for major stress. I think Asus is onto something. Maybe there is an ROG custom wheel-barrel?

Posted on May 28, 2012 11:57:46 AM PDT
Hugo says:
You're paying for a premium-build gamer & desktop replacement laptop, it was never meant to be lightweight. Try and buy an Alienware with these specs, and if you don't get broke, you'll see this category actually weighs this much. I have changed my memory modules in my two laptops without ever checking on manuals, but still, there is LOTS of information on YouTube. I bet you didn't even look for it. Questions like "should I use one 8Gb module or two 4Gb modules" are definitely up to you, but then again, you can look for this information in the Internet. I am pretty sure Asus isn't expecting these questions from real gamers, with all due respect.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 2:58:27 PM PDT

below the keypad -_- 2 x 4gb module plus the 2 on the back

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 12:54:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2012 12:55:27 AM PDT
H. Lam says:
Please do not take this offensively, but it would be wise to check Alienware's site for their 14" laptop and 17" laptop weights before stating "facts" about laptop weights. The 14" >starts< at 6.45 lbs depending on the components you add, and the 17" >starts< at 9.39 lbs (I would link these two laptops for you, but I believe Amazon removes outside links). So having a 16" (15.6" if you want to be specific) laptop weighing in at 8.2 lbs is average.

I do admit, however, that the 2 lb power brick may be over-the-top. I have always liked the Dell XPS power bricks that are slim, and the magnetic power head of the Apple MacBook series. If a company can combine these two power source ideas into one, I would instantly consider myself their customer for aftermarket power bricks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›