Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

1,280 of 1,300 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Half Sheet Performs Great, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (Kitchen)
Be sure to read this whole review because there is a very happy ending!!

First the things I like...the pan is nice and heafty and well balanced. It's made in the USA. It heats evenly and does a great job baking cookies, and other dough items....actually everything I've baked on it. Now my big beef with this product! I wouldn't feel comfortable putting any food DIRECTLY on this pan. Every time you wash it...(and I do follow recommended instructions and wash by hand)...everything turns a muddy gray...the sponge, the rinse water, your hands, everything. It's even hard to wash the gray off your hands after your done. I hate that so just won't let food actually cook on the surface. I'll always use parchment paper. Don't trust all that gray metallic colored residue that comes off in the washing process.

Update Feb 20, 2012: I sent Nordic Ware an e-mail asking if they could explain the reason for all the gray metal color all over everything when I wash this pan. I told them I was very happy to buy a pan made in the USA and the product did perform flawlessly. I was just concerned about all the leaching of whatever it is. Never got a reply.

Update Nov 19, 2012: After almost a year someone commented on my feedback suggesting I try contacting Nordic Ware customer service again. Thank you Bon!! I felt it only fair to try again since so many people love this sheet. Low and behold I received a quick reply. After explaining the situation, they e-mailed a form to fill out and mail in. I just got an e-mail saying they received it, reviewed the information, and they're sending me a new pan because THE GRAYING I'M EXPERIENCING IS NOT NORMAL. I don't know what happened to my original e-mails but based on THIS customer service experience with Nordic, I'd say it was a flawless experience. The service was friendly, quick, and fair. As soon as I receive the new sheet, I'll wash it, use it, wash it one more time and then report back. I suspect it will be a totally different experience this time....the way we do it here IN THE USA!!!!

Update Dec 3, 2012: I have received the replacement half sheet. After washing several times I have no problem with gray residue. I'm convinced the first sheet I received was defective. This one is perfect...just what I expected from Nordic Ware. This is a company no one should ever be concerned about dealing with. They stand behind their products and, not only deliver quality products, but back them with quality customer service. I'm a believer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2012 4:16:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 4:18:01 AM PDT
Csparky2 says:

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 9:07:55 PM PDT
Half Twain says:
It is aluminum oxide. Your aluminum is oxidizing. Although unappealing and unappetizing, it is harmless. Still, you're wise to keep it away from your food as it will alter the taste for the worse.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 1:56:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 1:57:57 AM PDT
YVR says:
if you threw it in the dishwasher with a certain soap (the plastic wrapped cubes with powder and gel from Costco, for example) it will affect the aluminum surface....I too discovered the hard way with my garlic press. I have always hand-washed it and I guess the few times that I did throw it in the dishwasher, it was with a more mild detergent. Then, those neat little soap packets for dishwashers came out. My spouse put the garlic press in the dishwasher, and I had the same thing happen to me. It stains your hands! Sorry to hear it went grey on you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:22:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 4:47:57 PM PST
P. Smith says:
No...never put the baking sheet in the dishwasher. I've always hand washed it. It turned everything gray the very first time I washed it and has ever since. I use parchment paper on it so food never touches the sheet.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:50:16 PM PDT
B.A.Reader says:
It is most likely aluminum from the pan. And that IS NOT healthy. Actually, it is pretty harmful and you do well not to let it touch your food. Just one example: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/breast-cancer-risk-factors/prevent-breast-cancer-aluminum-47100115
The best cookware is made of iron and/or ceramic, but since those are usually more expensive, some doctors recommend stainless steel.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 9:36:28 PM PDT
P. Smith says:
Thank you B. Thome. I suspected it was raw aluminum but wasn't sure how much of a concern it was. I see you and I agree so I'm going to go with that. So far I haven't let any food directly touch the surface of this pan. I always us natural parchment paper and it's worked great even with meat.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:16:53 PM PST
Bon says:
gray??? have never seen this happen-love my Nordic Ware!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:29:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 2:30:38 PM PST
P. Smith says:
Yes Bon...gray!!!. I've never seen that either. That's why the post and asking others. Nordic won't reply to e-mails so I was trying to get feed from others here. I still use the pan and love it. Wouldn't be without it but wouldn't use it without parchment. All this time and the pan still turns everything gray when I wash it with a sponge and dish detergent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:10:28 PM PST
Bon says:
wow-there has to be some kind of flaw in the one you have---I would keep contacting CSD

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:05:54 PM PST
P. Smith says:
Just sent them another e-mail explaining that my comment on Amazon from a year ago has taken on new life so an explanation would be very helpful at this point. We'll see what happens. Maybe the fact that it's being brought up again and discussed will encourage them to finally reply.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›