3.0 out of 5 stars The only road that matters, is the road ahead... New version review. + "Trouble" EDIT., November 2, 2009
This review is from: Mad Catz Xbox 360 AX Pro Dolby Digital Precision Version 1.0 Gaming Headset (Video Game)
I wanted to sneak in an edit/update on this review. As of 11/21/2009 I returned the headset to Amazon. The mic stopped working. I replaced the cord. Nothing. I tried a different mic... nothing. It broke just in time too. On day 29 I printed the return label. I googled the mic breaking, and there is a shocking number of people with the same trouble. Just like the 360, its not a matter of "if" you'll get the 3 red lights, but when. With the AxPro the question is when will my mic stop working? And will the company take it back. I emailed them twice. 3 times really. First was to see if I could get a second headset just like the Pro. You know, so the wife could listen in too... Yeah... they sent me a link to their products page. I do not need a whole complete set, just the phones. Worthless. Then I emailed twice about the mic, and got zero response. Back it went. I got the Turtle Beach X41 headset. It is superior in every way. I am so happy the Trittons broke. The X41's are soooo worth the extra 40$. They really are. Its hard to compare sounds in words but I think I can... Imagine a sound that should make a "ping' sound. Say "ping". Then imagine the same event taking place and you hear a "pud"... The words are different. So are the sounds in the two sets. The X41's are so much more- bright. Clear. Crisp. The sounds are more "forward" more present. The Pro's were more subtle, more muddled. And, if you don't like it that way, hit a button, and it all changes back to "pud"... They even play a tone to tell you what mode you are in. And I can hear myself talking in the headset. = No yelling. Oh, and they are WIRELESS! Check my review on the X41's. Do not buy the Pros. You will be sad in a very short time. They sound just fine really, but for a little more cheese, you can be a much happier mouse! My review still stands valid. The wireless comparisons I made were to the X4... Not the X41. The Pro is not a bad headset. They just are not as good as the X41. Soon the X41 will not be as good as the XYZ Product line. But in the range of 150-200$ the X41 is the best headset our there. Period. For now.

If you must have the Pros anyway, please read and enjoy my review. Before I knew what I was missing, I truly felt that way. Soon, you too will follow in my footsteps... just as I have to so many others.

BTW, I try to only buy "big ticket" items from the real Amazon. Mostly cause of the free S/H. Now, I can say it is because of their outstanding customer service. It was a joy talking to them on the phone. Every time I do, they offer so much more than I thought possible. I almost feel like sending them a Christmas card.

*** End Edit***
*** Start original review***

I had to create a video to show that I am not just making all this up... Seeing is believing.

1. The boom mic IS flexible.

2. There is only ONE power pack for the entire assembly. You need only ONE outlet.

Please forgive the quality of the video/audio. I had to get it done in less than 100 mb. I went over by 16, and I hope Amazon takes it. (They did not. I am now waiting for a shorter lesser quality video to upload... lame.) Anyway, I love this headset. Even when I thought the mic was rigid, and there were two power bricks; I wanted them. Even after Amazon sent the wrong item, I still had a great experience. The listing I ordered from was significantly cheaper, it was here on Amazon. After I called, the listing was removed and my new order reflected a new item, on a new page, with a new price. Odd. But, long story short, I got the right phones, and a GREAT price. Awesome customer service. Opened box one... Wrong item. Frantic phone call = next day shipping of correct item. Printed UPS label(free). Waited one day for correct item. Item received, wrong item sent back. Perfection.

They are not "heavy". The entire box, including packaging and power brick was 2.1 pounds. My scale at home registered a 0.1 lbs change while wearing the headphones. The soft ear cups do not make my ears hot. I could see how the fake leather ones might. (they do come with interchangeable cups and top-of-head-pad-thingy) I DO NOT get static of any kind EVER. Although, if there is no signal going to the headphones (ie the Dolby light is not lit, no stereo components are on) and the headphones are on, a very faint beep or tone can be heard about every 15 seconds- until an audio source is powered on. Then you can sit in absolute silence.

I do wish the set came with an EQ of some sort. I like high treble. Everyone always says that they like it lower than me. I notice how car's stereos I ride in always have it lower than I like... Perhaps these headphones are set at the "proper" level. I just prefer a little more "snap" or crisp audio. After about 40 hours of use, I can tell you I have become quite accustomed to their sound and look forward to it. The first time I heard the shells of the helicopter hit the ground in COD4... I was hooked. Yes, I can hear the spent SHELLS hitting the ground. I can hear rpgs fly from the front of me, to right over head, to behind. In Battlefield Bad Company, I can hear people yell out "Medic!" and I can start running in the direction I heard the voice coming from.

My better half and I live in an older farm house. We have neighbors below us. I have a true 6.1 surround system, its Paradigm with two 15" ported subs. They "blow" right into the neighbors ceiling. I can knock the dishes in the kitchen over. Obviously, I had this sound system prior to living here. The neighbors finally complained about my video game noises. The wife has been complaining for years now. Ha. Everyone is happy I have these headphones, no one more than me.

I am now on the search for a second "headphones only" to plug into the second set hole. Then we can watch loud movies on XBOX together! Hurray for the perfect product!

One last thing... to split the optical signal: get the purple and silver spaceship looking thing. I got it on a "well known auction site..." but they are listed here on Amazon too. You can plug 3 opticals into one hole on a receiver then- more importantly it works. I have tried 2 others. DO NOT get the cheap little black ones.

One more last thing... The blue head is glass. I got it on the same "well known auction site". I believe they are also sold here. I filled it with sand. Almost all the way... but ran out. :( its heavy enough now to use as a headphone holder. I had some LEDs in there, that was fun, but it would tip easily. I take care of my "toys" and I think these phones will last for quite some time. I would buy these again, and will tell everyone I can too. They run circles around their wireless competition. If you turn your TV speakers up a little, and put some tin cans on your ears... and think that sounds good, get the ugly wireless ones. Otherwise, get these, and love them. There sure is a lot of wires. But they are long enough, and there is only the one long that is visible. I am old enough to remember linking extension onto extension for some console controllers. This is nothing compared to that.

The set can be turned off by holding down a button combination, for a few seconds on the inline controller... However, I use a product called "SuperSwitch" that comes with 3 outlet "boxes" and a wireless remote. 1.2.3. on the remote and pushing those buttons turn on/off whatever is plugged into them. I use it for the under cabinet lights, led ambient lighting, and now my Trittons.

The last, last thing. The single most outstanding feature of this headset, is the separate voice volume control. If you set the Xbox to play voice through "both" (headset and speakers) you can have your party and the "in game" chat at the same time. You can control the in game chatter with the dashboard volume slider, and the party chat with the volume knob on the Tritton's "magic volume box". Join me in Modern Warfare 2, you have enough time to get these before the game comes out... Or for any game to come in the future. They all have 5.1 sound. ~XBL GT = BluntAttack I'll be the one with my ears to the wall, listening for your footsteps. :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2009 1:29:39 AM PST
Good review. I picked these up about a month ago and also have the new model you described. I disagreed with a few things you mentioned, but overall it's probably just a difference of opinion. The directional sound is very accurate. However, it took me a bit to get used to the weight of the headset. Definitely made my neck tired during long play sessions... at first. Also, the default(soft) ear cups made my ears hot and sweaty, but the leather ones solved that and also seemed to block out the outside noises better. The mic works well if you bend it to where it's almost touching your lips, any further though and it's too muffled. I definitely recommend the headset to anyone that has the money to burn. Only negatives are that the lack of DTS decoding prevents surround sound on most blu-rays, and the included cables(optical and the one that hooks to the xbox controller) are terrible quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 2:44:18 PM PST
Mike S. says:
True. True. True. I agree with all of that... I had not used the other cups until today. I have always played with the mic close to my mouth. I like that there is no foam on the end. I like the heft the headphones have. It makes them feel more "solid". If you expect to wear headphones and not know they are there... well yes, you will be disappointed. Also, I use them with the Xbox only... So I am not at all concerned with blu-ray. I think that all DVDs will go the way of Betamax; in the not so distant future. I also believe that DD is a better performer in terms of "sound location" than DTS. So I am glad that the decoder is for 5.1... To add anything to that, seems like it would just raise the already high price. I know it is impossible to please everyone all the time; but these come damn close. My only complaint is there is not any real way to alter the sound... i.e. bass, or treble. I really want to boost the 1 kHz slider through the roof. As far as the cables go, I already had them all and use the ones I have. But it is a digital signal. It cannot be modulated. Either the receiver will take the signal, or it won't. So the cable quality is really not an issue. As far as the one for the controller... a little fine sandpaper on the ends, will ensure a reliable connection. (maybe even a try to clean the inside of the hole... I know mine fills with crap. In fact, the entire controller needs frequent cleaning.) All in all, there is no better wired headset for the 360. Period. Take it or leave it.

And for some reason, my super awesome video has been taken down. Lame. Ha.

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 4:42:17 AM PST
Good review man. I am desperate to get these. Right now they're not in stock though :(. I cannot order from the other website that has them for $5 cheaper. Bummer.

I'm just waiting until they're back in stock and MW2 here I come!

BTW: What do you mean take thin sandpaper to the xbox360 mic cable? You mean on the plated ends or on the plastic to make it fit better? Thanks for the review!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2009 8:34:01 PM PST
Mike S. says:
Thx! MW2 is flippin awesome btw! I can hear the spent shells of my own gun hitting the ground now. And people mumbling/whispering "reloading" all around me. I can hear the sound of bullets hitting the wall behind me. I can target a harrier simply by listening to where the noise is coming from. I can sit in a house in the middle of a map, and just wait to hear footsteps. I can wait till they pass, and shoot em in the back. BTW there is perk to make footsteps even louder! That game is flawless. Not unlike these headphones.

The only problem I have is playing really loud in a party. Chat is hard then. I have to turn down the game, or I cant pay attention. I also find myself yelling. No one complains though. They would too, if someones mic is annoying we let them know real quick.

I did this with 1200 sandpaper... The silver metal plug part; just gently and barely at all, scuff it up. Then be sure to clean off your scuff with some rubbing alcohol on a damp cloth. The idea is to have a more ruff surface, not a slippery shiny one... If you do this with regular AA batteries, you will see an increase in useful lifetime. Google it...

I'm shocked at how much these have gone up since I got them... Literally, $40. That is silly. I have used the "other wireless brand" and these are so much better its laughable. Also, I would not order these from "the other website" if it rhymes with "see-way". You would surely get the "older" version. With the two power supplies and solid "staticy" mic. For this kind of cheese make sure you get what you want... and these are what you want. Period. Even when the wifes out and the downstairs neighbors are gone, I prefer these to my 6.1 Paradigm surround system.

Also, after a few 5 hour marathon sessions with MW2... the fuzzy ear cups are much cooler on my head. The pleather ones are cooler initially, but after hour 3 or 4, they started to make my ears hot. It could be the white-knuckle action, but it seems alleviated with the the fuzzy cups. Some people like leather car seats too... I do not. To each his own. That is why the set comes with your choice, fluff or pleather. Enjoy!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take a cruise in an AC130 or do a little Javelin practicing... See you online!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2009 8:46:29 PM PST
Mike S. says:
Just noticed that the company they are shipping from now is ANTOnline. I have ordered from them quite a few times. Perfect transactions. Mostly GPS stuff. They offer fast reasonable shipping. AND very fast responses to email questions.

Posted on Dec 31, 2009 6:47:24 AM PST
Adam says:
Sadly, my AXPro headset is doing the same thing yours is doing/did... (Of course I've owned my for a little over a year now.) I really wish I knew why the mic is no longer working but whatever the problem is it effect both 360 and PS3 equally.

I've contacted trittion via chat (basically, email as no live rep was around) and via their trouble ticket system... Its hasn't even been 24 hours so I'm hoping to hear something today... or next week. (Holiday) If I hear from them I'll let you know...

I'll have to google the mic problem... I've not do so yet... Oh, the x41 one does look awesome... Sadly, I need something for the PS3 too.

Gamertag/PSN name is the same as my amazon username...

Later, and thanks for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2009 7:34:44 AM PST
Mike S. says:
Sucks. If you contact Turtle Beach- or even if you just complain on their message boards to no one... They contact you- same day. Flawless service. I hope you get it worked out. But I really wanted to add that the X41 will work with a PS3... and I can point you to a optical switch that works, so you can have both the PS3 and Xbox connected. GL, and happy hearing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2009 8:04:46 AM PST
Adam says:
Mike, yeah, I hear you on the customer service... I broke the nub off of my first Mic sometime ago and actually got really good customer service from them... (free replacement Mic, no charge) but that might have been more random chance than anything.

As for the x41. Tempting, very tempting, but will the chat function work on the PS3 side? (I already have an optical switch so that much is covered.) The PS3 uses blue tooth (crap); or USB for its chat function... I looked around for allot of headsets (and workarounds for those not designed for it) for the PS3 before settling on the AX Pro. (Honestly, it ended up being one of the major selling points.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2009 9:42:11 AM PST
Mike S. says:
Chat. No- not on the PS3. But they will work offline. PSN sucks anyway. Live is a much better service. I enjoy paying my $4 monthly. I'd almost try to rig up a mic. Something just short of duct taping it the side of the X41s. Ha. GL. Happy New Year.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2009 7:24:36 PM PST
Adam says:
Happy new year to you too, Mike. :)

PSN, sucks might be a bit strong but its certainly not everything it should be... It certainly fills unpolished and piecemeal.

Unfortunately, I cannot really skip out on PS3 voice chat. I have family that only has a PS3 and spend a few hours every week playing Uncharted 2 together.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (266 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $59.99