Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, and effectively conveys the book's message, May 19, 2012
This review is from: Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (DVD)
After seeing mixed reviews on Rotten Tomates my expectations for this movie were low. However, by the end of the movie my opinion was pretty high. I give it only 4 stars because I thought it dragged in spots in the first half.

There is extra material added to the book, which is more or less necessary to make this into a full-length movie. I thought the added content kept the spirit of the book and made for a more interesting movie.

Where this movie shines is in conveying the messages of the book. Dr. Seuss's book is not subtle. This movie is not subtle either. I was a little shocked at how heavy-handed it was, particularly in the song "How Bad Could it Be." I'm sure it will offend people. But by being in your face, this movie is keeping the spirit of the book.

I'm glad for this movie. It does gets the message out even more effectively to kids than the book, in my opinion.

Are all corporations evil and greedy? Of course not. But whether they are conscious of it or not, their actions often have very adverse effects. People like to ignore this and tell themselves it's not that bad. How bad could it be?

One of the easiest ways to make a lot of money is to convert life and health into money. Think about it. Have you ever heard of any companies selling products that were harmful or unhealthy? How about dumping toxic manufacturing byproducts into the land, water and air that we all depend on? How about mistreating employees or demanding too much "life" from them? If you have worked very long in corporate America some of these things will likely ring a bell.

The answer to the movie's song "How Bad Could it Be" is that it could be very bad. We really are making our planet uninhabitable in the long run. We have to change how we do things.

I enjoyed the hopeful, upbeat ending to this movie. I hope the reality of our future is as upbeat. Trends are not promising, I'm sorry to say.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2012 1:55:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 6:28:59 AM PDT
Spike says:
So are you reviewing the movie itself or are you trying to preach an environmental message?

If you are reviewing the movie itself, why not talk about how well it entertained? Was the acting good? was the comic timing up to par? Was the setting good? I find it very interesting you found the first half boring. The first half was the romantic comedy type party between Audrey and Ted and the second part was all about the environmental preaching. Romance is boring, yet the accusing finger is interesting? I'm sure there are people who might disagree with THAT.

If you're trying to preach a message, I hate to rain on your parade but the what works in the movie such as the "in your face" approach you mentioned, rarely if ever works in the real world. How many times in the past has the accusing finger ever been popular?

The issue today is no longer pollution caused by toxic chemical wastes and other forms of waste but global warming which is caused by, of all things, according to the activists, the natural substance carbon dioxide. What's more, the science on global warming is hardly conclusive. Carbon dioxide only rises AFTER the earth's temperature rises. There is no DOUBT pollution is conclusive. You can see pollution when it's there. To believe that global warming exists, you have to TRUST the scientists.

In addition, the Lorax only accuses big greedy corporations and the issue is pollution. Today's environmental groups take the accusations a quantum leap further. They accuse EVERY private business, greedy or not, and NOT because they pollute the planet but because they are private businesses period. Not only do they accuse private businesses but every American citizen because they are part of the "capitalist system". There are some who would call that bigotry. Certainly bigotry is not something Dr. Suess would have wanted.

Evidently, socialism is supposed to be the answer.

Now I have been to other countries and at least in comparison, America is far cleaner than most countries, even socialist countries. Yes, there are still states with a lot of smog, however, in general, the US is certainly cleaner than China, or even most countries in Europe.

These days the environmentalists themselves are involved in bribery scandals (climategate and others), and it seems the REAL goal is money and power....not too unlike the very greedy corporations the Lorax was trying to finger.

You are definitely right about one thing. The "trends are not promising", However, I believe in the "unless" message. The message of the environmentalists of today WILL be ignored and probably laughed at UNLESS the message goes back to being that of pollution and UNLESS the environmentalists begin to show they are on the side of the average citizen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 4:45:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 23, 2012 4:49:07 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:38:34 PM PDT
Learner says:
The book obviously delivers an environmental message. So it's reasonable to judge the movie that way too.

I think the movie did a good, not great, job of being entertaining.

The message of the book and movie is vital. I don't know about environmentalists. But I do know we are rapidly rendering our planet uninhabitable. Ask any biologist or climate scientist - the experts.

We must quickly, radically change the way we live to become a sustainable society. I don't know how do to that either, but it's obvious what we need to do. Our acquiring, consuming, greedy ways are no longer defensible.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›