3.0 out of 5 stars FYI! New buyers!, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba BDX3000 3D-Ready Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player (Electronics)
FYI!, FYI!, buyers. I received this Toshiba BluRay model BDX3000KU when I ordered my Toshiba 55WX800U 3D HDTV around the first of December. Also received two pair of Tosiba 3D glasses as part of this package. First OF ALL, I cannot say enough good things about ordering from Amazon.com. I got a terrific deal! I had shopped locally, in Nashville and online for several months. The TV is wonderful! HOWEVER, after hooking up the DVD, it would not turn on. It would only stay on standby. No luck with the DVD remote, the TV remote or manually. I contacted Amazon.com customer FYI! Again the same problem when I attempted to turn on the unit the following day. I tried everything and nothing worked until I unplugged the unit electrical cord and plugged it in again. In reading the owner's manual I learned this allowed the unit to RESET. It worked beautifully and would turn on the remainder of the day. BUT, ANOTHER HOWEVER! When I tried to turn on the unit this morning after it setting overnight, it would not turn on. I again unplugged the unit, waited several seconds for it to reset and AGAIN it then turned on. At this point I called Toshib a customer service and spoke to Don. Don put me on hold and researched the problem. Per Don, this is a "KNOWN PROBLEM" for this model by Toshiba and is called a "POWER FREEZE". Toshiba is seeking a resolution to this problem with this model. Per Don and Linda, who I spoke to when I called Toshiba a second time to clarify, Toshiba will call me at my home phone when the resolutiion found. I was not given a time-frame for a return call as it is not known when a resolution will be found. I SPECIFICALLY asked both persons whether I should return this unit to Amazon.com a second time and purchase a different model as I really like the feathures of and the functioning of this model except for waiting for a resolution of the "POWER FREEZE" problem. Both assurd me I need not do this. THEREFORE, I am keeping this BDX3000KU unit expecting Toshiba to call with a resolution to the problem or offering me another unit. I am mailing the registration card tomorrow. I am glad as I did not wish to bother Amazon.com again, expecially as this is a problem with this particular Toshiba model and Toshiba is seeking a resolution. I suspected as much when the same problem occurred with the second unit received. LET ME RESTATE this not an Amazon.com problem. I have had nothing but amazing service doing business with Amazon.com at this time. I WILL attempt to contact Amazon.com customer service by e-mail and clarify the problem with this model of BluRay DVD player by Toshiba in case there are any additional customers who have this same problem and contact them. Let me say last that the ONLY reason I feel I cannot give this product a 5 star rating is because of this problem and Toshiba was not able to give me a ballpark timeframe for getting back with me.

UPDATE: I received a call from Toshiba at 4:15 pm and spoke with Justin after missing a call from Amy a few minutes earlier. Justin checked Amy's notes and transferred me to Advanced Services Group and I spoke with John. Per John, my problem has been referred to the Research Group and I should be receiving a call in just a few days. Let's hope all turns out okay for my unit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2011 5:05:47 PM PST
J. Hsu says:
great write up. Please keep us updated on when you hear back from Toshiba. I think there are several of us waiting for a solution. Thanks

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 5:11:07 PM PST
tgoldtechie says:
i also want to thank you for your followup with toshiba. i have not yet encountered power freeze but have only used it 2x and not hooked up to the 55wx800. i have it hooked up to my panasonic viera 42 inch used it for bluray and netflix, not 3d yet. i have my ps3 hooked up to the 55wx800. in any event, i am very interested in what you find out as toshiba needs to step-up to the plate and do right by their customers. thanks again for your efforts.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 9:17:45 AM PST
F. AZIZ says:
Thanks again for taking this up, I was planning to do same but now I will wait for your response.

One thing that I think was interesting that as I received my DVD player first and I hooked it up using component video cables to my normal CRT TV, I didn't encounter this power freeze. When I got my HD TV, I connected through HDMI and I experienced the power freeze. Last night I switched it back to Component Video from my Blue Ray DVD to HD and I didn't encounter freeze at least this morning. I will test more and see but if you guys want to test the same, that will be great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 5:01:43 PM PST
Dale D. says:
Thanks for the info. I ordered and used high speed HDMI cables from my BluRay to my new 3D HDTV as that what was recommended. I still have my other cables, though. Have you tried watching 3D yet using your hook-up? I had freeze again this morning after my BluRay sat overnight.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 5:32:47 PM PST
F. AZIZ says:
As I mentioned earlier, my BluRay DVD was hooked last night using Composite Video cables and it has not yet frozen. I know HDMI is the right way to go and Toshiba should provide a fix for it but at least this give some option. May be you can share this information with Toshiba support once you have tried it yourself.

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 4:34:46 AM PST
F. AZIZ says:
Bad news, it froze again even on Composite Cables. Lets hope Toshiba can provide us with a fix.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 6:55:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2011 7:25:23 AM PST
tgoldtechie says:
hi f. aziz, try hooking it up to another tv. again mine is hooked up to my panasonic plasma with hdmi 1.3b and it works fine. that said, i did not play a 3d on it. but have played blu-ray, used the wireless features, etc. this is not the ideal solution, but i am starting to wonder if the connection between this player and the toshiba tv has a communication problem and then freezes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 9:50:55 AM PST
Dale D. says:
Sorry, but thanks for the info. This is the first time I've ever written a review except a brief positive comment about a seller. But, this is a problem with a Toshiba product, known by Toshiba and apparently they keep producing the unitl. As a retired psuc social worker this makes me quuite concerned, no ANGRY. I FULLY expect Toshiba to correct my problem and hopefully all who are experiencing it with another unit or a different comparable model. This is not a pleasant situation.

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 10:04:13 AM PST
I've had to unplug my player now 3 times over the last week. Haven't played a single disc yet. Software is slow compared to a Roku . I'm not sure why people just are not returning the units? I'm planning on getting an RMA today and just not deal with the pain. Amazon seems to be hiding there head in the sand on this too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 10:12:31 AM PST
Dale D. says:
Thanks. Time to contact Amazon and see what they have to say as well as Toshiba.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.3 out of 5 stars (110 customer reviews)

Out of stock