3.0 out of 5 stars Big step backwards, November 13, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (DVD-ROM)
The original gameboy was released by nintendo in 1989. On the side was a little port for what was called a link cable. This cable allowed me to hook my gameboy up with my friend's gameboy without issue. Let me rephrase: In 1991 I could link two primitive gameboys together and play a game with my friend.

In the mid 1990's I experienced my first time with LAN. I played Myth: TFL by Bungie and the Marathon trilogy with my friends. It was all so simple.

In 1998, the original Starcraft was released. In what could be considered the pinnacle of LAN party potential, millions of hours have been spent in basements, playing this game the entire night through without a single connection issue.

In 2002 microsoft released the original xbox. Countless nights were spent with friends playing Halo over LAN without fail.

By now the standard had been set.

In 2010 Blizzard released Starcraft 2...No more LAN. No more dependable, secluded nights playing on the local internet with your buddies. No, now everyone has to log in and go through their security checkpoint to play someone their computer is connected to directly. B.net down? Tough luck. Internet connection issues? Oh well. It's not like the capability to do this has been available in games for around for two decades now.
Let me rephrase: 20 years after I could connect two gameboys together to play pokemon, my friends can't connect their two decked out gaming computers together to play the biggest game in e-sports.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2010 11:20:24 AM PST
A. Hallmark says:
I agree with you completely. And because of these "security checkpoints" they've decided to enact, my spotty internet connection constantly
causes me to incur Blizzard's wrath as they laugh and take away my ability to earn achievements, use my profile, or even play my friends
locally (because now there's no lan!).

This is the reason that after a week of owning the game, I have simply just stopped playing it, worst part about that is because of the stupid
register to play, I can't even sell the game used! I think I'll just hang onto it until someone makes a SC1 mod for the game, but other than
that its only purpose is to collect dust, at least it does that well!

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 9:56:15 AM PST
Micheal Gee says:
I will not be buying this game for this reason and the fact that they are just going to release a "Battle Chest" once all three campaigns have been released also. Its stuff like this consumers do not forget, I hope that Blizzard reads these reviews. I am very disappointed.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 1:57:14 PM PST
C says:
Yep. What's fun is that in order to prevent people from playing without paying - limiting their use of the game - they've now got a serious number of people like me who either won't buy it or will wait until it's incredibly cheap. Pretty bad move, but I'm sure they don't care.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 3:56:25 PM PST
Peter Z says:
i have no words that haven't already been written to describe how utterly frustrating this game is in every single way possible... it's almost kinda funny until you realize that the development and sequels will be in the headlines until like 2020

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 10:46:10 PM PST
Greg Webster says:
While I agree with you, you only mention a SINGLE THING about this game. How is the single player? Is the online multiplayer usable? This is like someone complaining about a FPS without multiplayer because Goldeneye had multiplayer. If you are a fan of RTS games and don't care about LAN, is this game worth it?

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 3:38:04 AM PST
hickninshaw says:
I got the game, never really thought of the missing lan until now. Then the lack of lan kicked in when friends bought the game and suddenly I had a reason to start resenting the developers. In this age of Napster, Limewire and countless other p2p networks, copyright infringement is everyones biggest nightmare and all for a few bad apples. People that buy games and music the right way, by going to the store, whether it be online or not, and buying it are paying for those bad apples (in more ways than one) while they find ways to work around the walls put up by the publishers. Steam has now become mandatory for many games and not because they offer a good online play experience. I've had to run steam now for single player only games. SC2 is an excellent game and as long as you don't ever wish you could have your buddies over for an old fashioned Starcraft lan weekend you'll be perfectly happy. They made a game this polished and and fun, then took away one of the things that would have made it perfect. Granted the original was probably the most ripped off game ever made, but this is a little bit much. Given time there's ways to cheat anything. Look at all the shooters like COD and MOH. All harder protection for the company does is make life harder for the honest and some honest people look for workarounds so they can use their honestly purchased software the way they used to. I can't even have more than one playthrough at once in games like metro 2033. Oh no, a father and 13 year old son might be playing the same game, they need to buy separate copies just to both play it. Unless one wants to wait for the other to finish. It's all gone to far and the sad part is.....it's not done getting worse yet.

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 12:33:12 PM PST
Mino Guy says:
I'm really not sure if you should condemn the game for just missing LAN. I've had the game for quite a while now, and I've been playing online for a while with all my friends who have it, and I love it. It may be a con about the game, but I'm not sure if it's worth deducting two stars over. It's a great game and all. Maybe give it 4 stars, but NEVER 3 for JUST LAN. If you have other reasons, tell them and then I'll respect it.

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 6:42:13 AM PST
T. J. Young says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2010 12:41:13 AM PST
Did you read any of the previous posts? Bnet 2.0 can be unreliable, taking away LAN support is just a greedy move by Blizzard. The price gouging is just another way they're screwing the fans over, pay more to get less.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2010 12:59:26 AM PST
xon says:
Well said bro! the last part is what the full context is all about! Totally agree with you guys!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (1,841 customer reviews)

$19.99 $19.96