Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet --- Now I can get rid of my Desktop computer!, February 6, 2013
This review is from: ASUS ME400 Win8 Tablet [OLD VERION] (Personal Computers)
Absolutely a life changing device for me. I have to give up my office with the arrival of a baby boy. I fretted about this as I love my study but I really like my desktop computer in the study.

My wise wife suggested I use one of our existing notebooks instead --- a no go for me. If I am sitting at a desk then I don't want to be on a laptop conversely for mobile use I am not a fan of notebooks due to the weight and battery life.

I went to the Microsoft Store after watch all the microsoft commercials. I was hesitant as I had previously updated my desktop home computer to Windows 8 and what a hassle as I had to learn something new and different. I really liked the Windows Surface at the MS Store though --- Windows 8 was truly made for a tablet but the Surface ran Windows RT and if I lose my desktop then I would not be able to use my Windows programs (Quicken, etc)with the Surface. The Microsoft Rep told me that the Surface Pro was on the way but would weigh 2lbs and have a short battery life. No thanks.

I came home and did some research and found the Asus Vivotab Smart which magically ran full Windows 8 on an Intel Atom processor. I was again hesitant as I had a netbook with an Atom processor years ago and it was slow. But the reviews were great on the Asus Vivotab Smart. So I bought it along with the cover and keyboard.

Game charger. Its super fast and seamless. Plays movies without a hitch. The system is as fast as my eyes can watch the screen and fingers can swipe. Windows 8 is weird on a desktop but is by far the best tablet OS going. I liked my Ipad and wifes Andriod phone but they were toys to a certain extent. This has all the same features except that Windows 8 is more intuitive as a tablet than the Ipad and Android. Plus I can run my beloved Quicken and Microsoft Office, etc.

I won't miss my desktop computer and office (save that is where I watched football).

- 9 hrs of battery life (I can confirm this)
- Windows 8 is the ultimate tablet OS (use your thumbs)
- weighs ~1.25lbs --- light
- get the cover and keyboard --- the are a must, the keyboard is normal sized and the cover is a kickstand also
- Screen is super clear and fresh --- viewing angles are great
- Windows Metro/modern is great and it took getting this tablet for make me figure that out
- Full Windows although I only find myself use quicken, office for the traditional windows programs
- Take the dive and sign up for the integrated Microsoft experience: email and use skydrive cloud for you storage which is free. I resisted this at first but once I switched over to IMAP email and the cloud for "my documents" --- I realized I was stupid for waiting so long.
- Thus Windows 8, and skydrive synchs all my computers and tablets seamlessly with zero work. So with this tablet synched my email, music, documents, pictures, etc when I turned on the tablet for the first time and logged in with my email.
- Kills complexity in my life. Now my computers, notebooks and this tablet are on the same synchronized platform even my background picture and passwords are the same. So I am going to sell my Ipad (never liked Itunes) and my wifes Andriod phone is on chopping block.

- The App store is still developing which is a bit of a hassle. Netflix and, fitbit are there but my wife wants the facebook app, pinterest (wife's request), skyward and a few others.
- Apparently computer writers/reporters are fanboys of Apple and Google which will be a disservice as their readers will stay with those platforms instead of switching to Windows 8 tablets thus the App store may be slow to reach a critical mass of users.
- Microsoft made a mistake with the Surface. Its beautiful but RT is limited compared to Windows they should have taken the Asus approach with full Windows 8 on a Intel Atom. This tablet is lighter, has the same battery life and all the windows goodies.
- at $499 its more expensive than Androids although beats the pants off Apples considering you full Windows 8
- Does not come with Office installed

Get this tablet.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2013 4:16:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 4:17:07 PM PST
Duff Callan says:
Hey, for the app marketplace, I have a solution for that possibly! There is a program called Bluestacks that runs Android Apps on your Windows products. I have it on my Windows 7 Laptop and it's awesome and a very simple program. It just emulates an Android and you search for apps through google play, download them, and then use them normally, very simple. You can have all of Androids apps and run them on your Windows 8 tablet. It's not that good on my laptop since it doesn't have a touch screen, but I can use Instagram on my Laptop since I have a Windows 8 phone and it doesn't have Instagram. But I'm sure Bluestacks would work awesome on this tablet, as I'm going to download it when I get my tax return and get this tablet haha!

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 5:24:39 PM PST

I would check out the program but I found a solution that my wife and like. Internet explorer 10 is the new Windows 8 tablet browser. It works great with the tablet touch screen and is super quick. One feature is that you can "pin" a favorite webpage to the Windows 8 start screen and it looks like a customized tile for that webpage. So you simply pin the Facebook webpage to the start screen and it looks like the Facebook app. When the tile is opened then it appears like you are in customized Facebook app. Some goes for interest and instagram.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 9:40:10 PM PST
spookiewon says:
Just as an FYI, as I own this tablet as well, but your dig at iPad's price really isn't fair. Apple's A5X quad core processor way outperforms the dual core Atom in this tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 9:38:50 AM PST
My review was not a dig at the ipad's price. The price of each tablet is what it is.

Not sure about your processor speed comments. There are plenty of computer sites that measure performance and power consumption and thus not worth debating but your statement is just plain not true.

The value of this machine is its first a tablet above all else with Windows 8, weighs 1.25lbs and has great battery life AND its a full computer second. But the iPad will never be a tablet and then if needed be able to run full version of Quicken, Word, Excel, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:54:32 PM PST
J. Yuen says:
A fast processor that will only do a few things well is of no use compare to a slower processor that will handle a full OS. Other than ease of use and a better (actually much better) app store. The iPad doesn't really offers that much more. The better Apple app store is basically offset by being able to run most legacy Windows software. So for a Windows user. The iPad certainly offers less at a higher price.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 3:49:50 PM PST
The iPad certainly appears quick. On the apps that are made for it. There is a reaon that IOS is not the same OS as used in MAC's. That reason is that the A5 or A6 are too slow to run full blown applicatins and can only mange scaled down applications. Now that is not saying the atom that this tablet uses is a quick processor. But it is capble of running full pc applications in 32 bit mode with adequate performance. If you put this processor up against a Surface Pro it would lose every time on performance. But if you run it against the Surface RT you will find a different story. The knock on the RT is (which uses an ARM architecture lke the A5 and has actually fairly similar performance is that it is simply incapable of running full Windows applications.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 8:52:06 PM PDT
Lady in Jax says:
How did you get Office installed without the tablet having a disc drive?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2013 6:22:10 AM PDT
You will need a "powered" USB hub so to attach disc drives and usb hard drives to tablets. I bought one for $20.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 3:47:16 AM PDT
Stavirscool says:
Have you tried it on the asus smart? I have difficulty in opening it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 5:17:13 AM PDT
If you are asking about the USB hub then yes I have used it for both dvd drives and external harddrive. Just make sure you get a quality powered USB hub (check out the hub's reviews). Some of the ultra cheap powered hubs just don't provide enough power and they attempt to draw power from the tablet.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›