5.0 out of 5 stars UGK 4 Life - Rest in Peace Pimp C, December 4, 2007
This review is from: Underground Kingz (Audio CD)
I was listening to 'The Game Belongs To Me' literally 10 minutes ago when I heard that Pimp C was no longer. I just got their latest CD a week ago from Amazon.com and I've been bumping it ever since.

Like the news I heard today, the album took me by complete surprise. I've never been a UGK fan, I first came across them on the "Don't Be Menace to South Central..." Soundtrack and I thought they had a nice track but I was not moved by their skills behind the MIC. I later heard them on 'Big Pimpin' with Jay-Z. That's when I started to take Bun B seriously but not enough to actually buy any of their music. However in 04/05 after Pimp's incarceration Bun B got on his grind and started putting in some real work in. He was literally featured on every Southern Artist's album and used every opportunity to shout "Free Pimp C" which became his motto. If I wasn't a fan before, this man's work ethic made me one. I see Lil Wayne is following the same path. I bought Bun B's solo CD "Trill" which was one of my favourite 05 CDs.

Fast forward to 2007 & Pimp C is home and UGK are back with a very ambitious double CD. I knew I would eventually buy this album but to be honest I never thought that they could hold down a double CD. I started reading the reviews on Amazon and other websites and they all had good things to say about this album so I decided to buy the CD, along with the new Jay-Z, the Little Brother CD, Chamillionaire and two other CDs I have procrastinated on which are Pharoah Monche's "Desire" and Blu & Exile's "Below The Heaven's". UGK was the one I was least excited about but after hearing the 1st couple of tracks all that changed. Only Jay-Z's "American Gangster" has gotten more spins.

The album kicks off with 'Swisha & Dosha' which sets the tone for the rest of the album with a funk\soul sample that channels that old 90s rap era feeling. 'The Game Belongs To Me', 'Gravy', 'Heaven', 'Quit Hatin' The South' and 'Int'l Players Anthem' are all fine examples of what I'm talking. and that is just on Disc 1. To add to that you have two veterans going in hard, Pimp C especially really wigs out on the hard hitting 'Quit Hatin' The South'. I always say that I'd rather listen to an average rapper with something to say than a super lyricist with no substance & Pimp C has something to say on this album. He tears the detractors down 'Quit Hatin' The South' and throughout the double CD.

By the time the horns fade out on 'Thrill N**** Don't Die' you don't want to put the 2nd disc in because you know it can't get any better, that is until you hear the opening track of disc 2 'How Long Can It Last', a laid back track that has Bun & Pimp lamenting the ills of the fast life. Charlie Wilson complements the track perfectly on the hook. Scarface produces the next track 'Still Ridin' Dirty' and if you are not convinced UGK is the real deal by now, nothing will convince you. Disc 2 does not let up on the momentum and although it has a few missteps the overall quality is impeccable. This album stacks up against any Hip-Hop double CD, bar none.

There are so many other hot tracks on the album 'Take The Hood Back', 'Cocaine', 'Livin This Life' to name but a few.

I never heard their other CDs so I cannot compare but I feel like Pimp C was born to make this CD & it is also represents Bun B's vindication. He started shouting free Pimp C 5yrs ago and now we all know why. I'm not sure if I wouldn't have written this review if I hadn't heard the news but believe me when I say that it wouldn't have changed the rating. This CD is hot.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]