4.0 out of 5 stars WKC is back with good improvements and some negatives, September 20, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: White Knight Chronicles II (Video Game)
Positives
-Story continues exactly where WKC left off and it's a trilogy, 3rd one is on the way.
-Improvements on Graphic and voice acting
-More skills for all weapons
-A LOT more weapons and armors since max level is now 80.
-No more X button harass when searching for Ores/bugs/flowers etc. It gives you all the materials at once
-More GR quests and new Monster Bounty quests(these can be harder than final boss)
-Customize Knight for your avatar
-Data import from the 1st one is impressive. Includes all the mats,weapons, armors and georama layout
-Online mode! now up to 6 people in a party with Knight transformation
-Better AI for your companions
-Better AC,MP balance for your skills and combos
-Plenty of challenges towards the end of the game and after you've beaten the story mode. New game+ and you unlock a castle to test your strategy/skills.

Negatives
-Story mode environment. You get 1 more new town and 2 new initial & final dungeon but everything else is the same. You basically play through the towns & dungeons that you've already beaten on 1st one all over again. This was a huge let down.
-Errands(resident quests These suck, the reward is very good. Mostly, you just go around the world map and talk to different NPCs over and over again, nothing else. Just spend time running for 1hour to complete a few of them. Boring and annoying.
-No online mode for Bounty hunt and Otherworld(to get your avatar knight's equipment) I got excited to pull off something like capcom's Monster hunter online, but found out that it's offline only.
-Same towns and dungeons mean same monsters and same soundtrack...seriously.

I managed to beat the story mode without getting too boring because of new weapons, skills with more level ups and some cool cut scenes. But overall, it felt more like online grinding than an epic story mode.

I clocked in 270hours for the 1st one. Currently grinding and playing I'm at about 60+ hours on this one. There are plenty to do and plenty challenges. Nevertheless WKC saga is still among my favorite PS3 RPG with Demon souls. I give this one 4/5 for more improvements than negatives. Could have been 5/5 if they weren't so lazy to create more maps and dungeons and new monsters. Because it lacks those, Story mode feels like WKC1 with a good patch to fix bugs and better interface. But I know that online is a kick ass time with a friend or two... especially for being free.(no monthly fee)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2011 12:18:12 PM PDT
RPGee Wiz says:
So tell me do I need to play White Knight 1 or should I just go with this one? Because like in Monster Hunter there really isn't much reason to play the earlier ones I feel. Good review!

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 12:18:20 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 6:36:23 AM PDT
WKC2 has both games on the disc.
You can start wkc 2 as a lev 35 but all the tutorials are in wkc1

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 11:32:13 AM PDT
J. C. Yoon says:
I would recommend you to play through the story mode of the first but not online at all. Continue along 2nd one through the story mode-which then you will face the negative side of my review but... then go online from there. Story modes on both are not long at all. 15hours or less. Also yes, full game of 1st one is included in WKC2 blu-ray disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:34:46 AM PDT
RPGee Wiz says:
Awesome! Thanks for the replies guys! I have wanted this for awhile and now I'm kind of glad I waited a little longer! It seems like a solid game.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:10:27 AM PDT
They said the story is complete with WKC2 and a 3rd wouldnt be made unless 2 was commericially successful.
Based on how little they did to part 2, I doubt this will make it to trilogy

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 9:33:53 PM PST
Can I play White Knight Chronicles remastered online with someone who has the international edition or do they also have to have WKC2?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:30:11 PM PST
rmeans says:
heck yeah play through it all i liked the guys review but the game isnt a mmo well it does have a online mode but still its mot a mmo its meant to be played for the story like any good jrpg it has a great story and yeah some of the areas are the same but thats because the story is told in the area so play it enjoy it. to me its one of the best rpg experiences ive actually had.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 7:33:48 AM PDT
Kenshin says:
I would suggest not bothering this game is dead now, if the online mode would still be around for many many more years minimum 10 then it would be worth it but its only been on for 3 years and they recently shut down the servers, offline the storyline is cliche and below average and your customized character virtually doesn't exist in the storyline with no words coming from your character and no interactions with the storyline in anyway your avatar is rather useless until the end and then you still have no storyline. Overall useless unless the online mode was still around. Alas it was shut down due to many things such as constant flaming of customer service for not releasing patches for US and EU as they were only available in the Japanese version and there were no plans to release it west side, and modders/hackers in game too many of them to ban so instead of allowing them to have their own section in server they just cut their loss D3 and Sony that is and didn't want to waste resources on USA and EU servers too all combined perhaps other reasons why but these are main ones, so they only support Japanese version now.

As a result I and many other people like myself have stopped supporting Companies like D3 and Sony who have ruined our gameplay and wasted our money as many of us bought DLC content for this game over 200$ around £200 only to have it be useless as we can't take it with us offline, we lose our guild and online pass which all cost real life money, and all we get in return for our loyalty to Sony and D3 is a closed door in front of us and a oh by the way thank you for buying our DLC now get lost is how I feel right about now. Its despicable and criminal Sony and or D3 I'll remember this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (79 customer reviews)

$60.00