Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great motivator for those that love running data!, December 8, 2013
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 220 - Black/Red Bundle (Includes Heart Rate Monitor) (Electronics)
I've had this watch for about 10 days now and I've only gone on 4 runs, each about two miles long.I am loving it so far. My main complaint would probably be all the hubbub that went on with many stores claiming these were in stock and not actually being in stock. But I'm sure many of those inventory problems have all been settled.

Pros:
* Very low profile and works as an everyday watch. Love that I can just always be wearing this and can just press the RUN button a few times and go.
* The band is removable. One of the main reasons I went for this particular watch was that the wrist strap is changeable. I had seen too many people post pictures of their old watches with a tear and having to use duct tape to keep it together. Some people have complained that it feels cheapy but I think it's fine and would last a while. I believe Garmin sells the replacement bands for about $20 or so.
* GPS preloading is great, ready to run within seconds of going outside.
* Indoor treadmill tracking has been pretty accurate. Just turn off the gps and the watch will use the integrated accelorometer to calculate your distance. When you're running with gps, the watch will use the gps data in combination with your arm movements to make calculations when there is no gps.
* So much customization! It was a little overwhelming when I first got the watch but it's pretty intuitive and does not take long to get used to.
* Little bit of color in the screen is nice. You can only pick one theme color at a time but it still looks nice and is customizable.
* Not sure if the cadence is measured by the watch or the HRM monitor, but that's interesting information to have as well. Apparently good runners get around 180 spm.
* I haven't used it yet, but one of the features I liked when I was choosing which watch to purchase was the ability to set RUN/WALK intervals.

Cons:
* The Android Garmin Connect app does not yet work with their newest watches quite yet. Garmin says they will release this soon though.
* I did have one occasion where it took a few tries for the Garmin website to accept a data transfer for one of my runs.

Reading other reviews about previous versions of Garmin watches, this appeared to be the first time that Garmin offered many of the advanced features on their second tier of watches. From my understanding the main difference between this and the 620 is the Virtual Trainer feature, 4 data fields per screen (vs 3 on the 220), the VO2 max measurement, and the recovery advisor. So if you don't care for those 4 features, I would save the $150 and go with the 220 over the 620.

05/05/14 UPDATE:

Watch is still going strong and battery life is still great. Just used in my first half marathon and it helped me greatly with my pacing. Love it. A few notes:
-As others have noted the cadence is measured by the watch and not the HRM strap.
-The Garmin Android app now works with the 220 over bluetooth, but it is a little slow.
-The data transfer issues I was having turned out to be more of an issue with the laptop I was using, as I don't have the same problem when using any of my other computers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2013 9:41:26 AM PST
Mc says:
Cadence is measured by the accelerometerin the watch and has nothing to do with heart rate. I have this watch and am worry about the longevity as I have been very busy with work and only went on a run once in the last week. It's been cold so it's protected under a sweater or long sleeve yet I already have a nick in the side plastic bezel and a scratch in the coating on the side. It is extremely comfortable and has been on my wrist 24/7 including the shower. It's going to be a hard decision on whether or not to keep it.

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 8:48:10 PM PST
I have used mine twice and so far I love it. The only con I can think of is that it doesn't appear to have a "return to start" feature like the 405 has. I love to run on trails out in the mountains and I am chronically getting lost. The return to start feature had saved me more times than you could imagine!! Anyone have any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 9:20:23 PM PDT
Sarah says:
I would love some suggestions as well if you've figured something out since your post.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2014 2:07:16 PM PDT
J. Lee says:
I don't use the watch for trail running, so I usually map my runs beforehand. It might just be a good idea to spend a little more and get one of the watches with more tactical features like returns to start.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2014 9:24:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2014 9:25:46 PM PDT
amazonfan says:
@Amazon Customer: Garmin Fenix.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›