2.0 out of 5 stars Degrades signal a little bit......Updated review 4/25/13..., April 19, 2013
This review is from: [180 days warranty] ZeroLemon Samsung Galaxy S III 7000mAh Extended Battery + Free Black Extended TPU Full Edge Protection Case(Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i535, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999, U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 R530, and Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung L710) ***NFC for S Beam and Google Wallet***- WORLD'S HIGHEST S3 BATTERY CAPACITY **USA PATENT PENDING DESIGN**- Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
pros: long battery life + fairly slim profile for such a large battery.

cons: degrades cellular and data signal a little.

While I try to remain objective the bottom line is that I most definitely had some signal loss.

In the same area I tested both the stock and the "zerolemon" battery and with the Zerolemon battery installed I consistently lost data connection,had text that would come back failed and had incoming calls go straight to voice mail.
(Although to be fair it is a weak signal area to begin with, but never had a problem with text or calls before)

I switched back to the stock battery and had none of these problems...I tested this over the course of a day to be sure.

In the exact same spot I tested both signal strengths.

Stock battery with body glove drop suit case = -69dBm.

Zerolemon battery and included case = in between -79 and -84 average dBm.

Now that's not a massive difference but if you are in an already weak signal it will make a difference.

I have strong suspicions that most of these "reviews" are from Zerolemon employees.

They company claims to strive for customer satisfaction but when I contacted them I got brushed off very quickly.

Bottom line is that yes the battery last longer...but that means nothing if you get no signal.

UPDATED 4/25/13

After having the battery for a week or so I wanted to give another review.

Pros: The battery does last for an incredibly long time.
Same thickness as other extended batteries + cases and about 2500 more dBm.

Cons: The battery most definitely causes signal lose for me, I constantly lost data(3G/4G) connections all day long,prime example is that I was unable to listen to internet radio without constant skipping and cutting out. I don't have this problem with the stock battery.

The case it comes with fits well but is pretty flimsy and I don't think it will offer much protection if dropped and the case is also the extended battery cover, so the battery could become dislodged and possibly damage your phone.

The battery is VERY VERY VERY difficult to install...I would be really concerned with with damaging my phone, its that hard to install.

I have decided to return this battery and look for something else, I hope this review helps out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2013 4:32:58 AM PDT
ZeroLemon says:
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing trouble. Our batteries are tested in various network in USA (T-Mobile/Sprint/AT&T/Verizon) and we do not have any wireless signal issues. We recommend using this for your phone if you are in poor signal region:

In fact, you will be able to see where the antenna is here and that our battery does not block the antenna: http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tumblr-m5fql0ybHB1qcigboo1-1280.png

If you are still having trouble, we are happy to assist you via info@zerolemon.com. I'm Desmond, general manager of ZeroLemon and will be able to assist you personally with this matter.

We also do not write reviews as this is against our business ethnics and Amazon's policy. We also have no need to write any as we have satisfied customers around the world. There are forums in XDA which satisfied customers are getting the most out of this battery. We strive to provide only the best service for our customers.

Desmond
ZeroLemon

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 7:43:37 AM PDT
Greg says:
I have the battery and seem to have a little signal loss. I do like the long life and I haven't been losing calls, but I have noticed slower data when testing it in various ways.

The image you posted of the antenna shows that the main antenna is at the bottom of the back of the phone. The battery *does* cover that area, at least somewhat...not sure what that image is supposed to prove in relation to this battery?

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:48:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2013 10:55:22 AM PDT
Hi,

We look forward in hearing from you. Hope this message reaches you. Your customer satisfaction is our top priority.

Regards,
Lobna

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2013 12:52:37 PM PDT
Ty Greg, I get a weak signal where I live, and I also am fed up with such short battery life from the stock battery. considering I bought the phone to make a hotspot for my house, not only can I not do that- I have to have an internet connection to make Sprints Airwave work! So, I am in a quandry. Do i risk it? and try? Corporate says- "No Worries"

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 9:58:54 PM PDT
Anthony M. says:
I've been looking for an extended battery, and have considered the zerolemon due to the increased mAh with essentially the same thickness penalty that other 5200 ~ 5400 mAh batteries have. After noticing several reception complaints, I did some extensive research and found a couple of sites that reviewed the ZL battery with the same conclusions. The battery causes around a 2-3 dBm loss in gain (see Anandtech). Now, dBm, in case you didn't know, is a base 10 log measurement. That means for every 3 dBm of increase, the order of magnitude doubles, or is a factor of two. So, a signal loss of say -116 to -119 means twice as weak. Same as 103 dBm is twice as loud as 100 dBm. If, according to your own observations and measurements, you're getting -69 dBm on a standard sized battery and -79 dBm on the ZL, then that's -10 dBm of signal loss, which is over a factor of three (three and a third really). That's pretty significant.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2013 12:07:54 AM PDT
I have zerolemon battery on my s4 and I found the battery VERY easy to install. I read the directions first and it slipped right in no problem at all. Ive also noticed very little signal loss but this might depend on area. Also I found the case to be quite nice and a nice change from hard plastics that easily break that other companies come with. My experience is a completely different one than you have had.in fact id say zero lemon is the best extended battery available and I've tried several including mugen . I just want prospective buyers to know that this battery is amazing and not everyone has had a negative experience with this battery. In fact my experience has been wonderful! And I highly recommend this product! I with heavy use I get three days out of one charge! I say great job zero lemon!

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 7:00:17 AM PDT
Ray Johanson says:
I have the exact same problems with this battery. It was not hard to install for me, and I didn't think the case was all that bad, but the signal loss is a deal breaker for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 9:04:56 AM PDT
Interesting because I didn't have any signal loss on my Gs4. Tmobile.. Who is your carrier? My signal stayed the same with zero lemon. I use it when I go on trips. Navagation still works and everything. Guess it depends on your area or carrier?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 2:36:42 PM PDT
Same here. I had to move the wi-fi router so I could get signal on my living room couch after a few weeks of walking down the hall to watch a video on YouTube. Battery life rules, but it does block signal. My house is not big by any standards, by the way. hehe

Same thing when trying to S-Beam pics between phones. Takes some maneuvering. I suspect that if my girlfriend had the same battery on her SIII that S-Beam wouldn't work at all.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 10:20:17 AM PDT
DLeon86 says:
You should try the one by Gorilla Gadgets, that one seems to be more stable and it's been around longer. Also, it's a little cheaper both on here and on the site itself at the moment. Best of luck to you. They also have it for the Note II and the S IV.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›