3.0 out of 5 stars Very slight improvement, but still not good, November 17, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Silver Controller and Play & Charge Kit (Video Game)
OK, when I first heard about this controller the first thing I said was about time!!! I am one of the very few people that prefer the PS3 controller, mainly due to the D-Pad. But for shooters the 360 controller cant be beat. But since day one the 360 has had that horrible D-Pad. So obviously when I heard about the new transforming D-Pad I had high hopes.

The main reason (if not the only reason) I bought this was for Fallout New Vegas. If you are familiar with it or Fallout 3 you know that you can "hot key" your weapons, etc to the D-Pad. Well because of how bad the original D-Pad was I would only use up, down, left, and right. If you tried to use ANY of the diagonal keys you would end up in BAD situations pulling the wrong weapon as a Deathclaw is storming at you and you really need your missile launcher, and you accidentally pull out a pistol.

In New Vegas up is already designated as your "change ammo type", so that leaves only 3 other reliable slots. So when I heard about this new controller and its "improved" D-Pad I thought awesome finally I can hot key more weapons, and not always have to open my pip boy to get to the right weapon. Well, I ordered it, and paid for one day shipping which was only 9.98, and the controller itself was only 51.99, even thought it retails everywhere else for 64.99.

So it came yesterday (ironically while I was playing New Vegas), so I decided to test it out. I hot keyed 7 weapons, and tried to use the D-Pad to pull out the right weapon. I tried it with just the plus (+), and then with the whole disc, and strangely it worked better for the diagonal presses when it was in the plus (+) formation then it did as the disc. And the results are overall just barely better. It still would pull out the wrong weapon about 1 out of every 3 times, when it use to be like 2 out of 3.

Another great test is to open up a message on your 360, and try to navigate the qwerty keyboard with the D-Pad only. You'll see how bad the D-Pad is, and that it is CONSTANTLY moving up when you press left, down when you press right, etc. Now if it were up to me, and I was a controller designer the perfect D-Pad would be a cross between the 360, and PS3 D-Pads. It would have separated up, down, left, and right like the PS3, but instead of a disc shape for the diagonal, it would have independent sections for diagonal. So that you would be able to properly press the direction you are intending. Ill try to insert a drawing of what I mean if I can.

But anyway to sum up the review I would say, unless you really need the plus shaped D-Pad for a game, then its not worth it. The new color scheme is kinda cool, but if you rely on the button colors for a game like Fable 3, then this ones not for you. The buttons are white, black, and grey now. I watched an interview with the main designer of XBOX equipment about this controller, and he mentioned several times that the improvements would help with fighting games, and maybe they have. I cant comment on that since I dont play fighting games. But for me, it wasn't worth it.

UPDATE: 11/18/2010

Ok, after using this for a couple weeks I felt I should update the review. I guess by using it for awhile it loosened up a little. Because now it works perfect. I can use all 8 directions in both modes. (plus and circle). And it works right now. I can pick the correct weapons that Im trying to. But when I try to use it for messaging its still constantly going diagonal when I need down, etc. So depending on what your using it for give it a chance. And just know that after a few days/ weeks (depending on how much you use it) it will get better with time. MUCH better that the original.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2010 10:27:04 AM PST

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 7:11:12 AM PST
Infinitree says:
I used the controller for as long as I could before the return period ended. After nearly a full 30 days the d-pad never performed the way I needed it to perform which led to numerous losses in Tekken 6.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 11:29:46 AM PST
Infinitree says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2011 8:22:02 PM PST
Custnam says:
Please dont spam my reviews. Its against Amazon policies, and just tacky!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 1:03:45 AM PST
Zorkey says:

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 9:02:30 PM PDT
I realize your probably done with FO:NV by now but if you hold a direction for the quick select it will stay open making it easy to use even with the original 360 controller

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 8:56:48 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 1:50:24 PM PDT
Chris says:
@zorkey I think you mean the PC reciever for the controller, if thats the case nope, it doesnt.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 11:32:55 AM PDT
Nate says:
I do not understand why people are having trouble with the d-pad? are you abusing it a lot? I've never personally had a problem with the d-pad besides the analog sticks being loose.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 12:11:59 PM PDT
Hayabusa says:
I play Tekken 6 on 360 as well, and its the precise reason I would like a solid D-Pad on the 360 controller. If they would just rip out that faulty disk D-pad and through in digital buttons like the PS3, that would be my ideal 360 controller.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (376 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $36.99