5.0 out of 5 stars Get Online and Working Almost Immediately, November 20, 2013
This review is from: HP 14-q070nr 14-Inch Chromebook (free T-Mobile 4G) (Personal Computers)
As someone who has re-imaged hundreds of Windows computers with their operating systems, I can tell you the Chromebook will give you some peace of mind. You'll never rebuild this computer because it runs Google's Chrome OS. You don't worry about malware and viruses because Google's OS has the protection built in. Google takes care of all the computer administration with the OS and browser, so you don't have to like you would in Windows, Mac, or in Linux, which are all operating systems I've used at one point.

Over the past seven years I evolved into working in the Cloud everyday. The Chromebook works for me because I can focus on what I want to work on every day and not waste my time with intermittent IT admin type tasks that arise unexpectedly like defragmenting a disk, fixing a corrupted Windows registry hive, or fixing file permissions on my computer due to some obscure issue. I don't waste time backing up my data with an external HD or in Carbonite because the data is saved in the Cloud. With that said, you should turn on 2 Step Authentication with Google for extra security and to practice good security habits.

I love these things about my Chromebook:

1. Super fast boot-up time! I love getting to work RIGHT away.
2. The Chrome taskbar at the bottom looks like the Windows 7 taskbar, which I customized for my key applications that I use everyday.
3. Apps - Kindle Cloud Reader, Google Keep, Drive, Calendar, Google Music, Youtube, Gmail, TechSmith SnagIt.
4. Battery life of up to 8.5 hours.
5. No more rebuilding the computer, backing up data, fixing crazy windows OS or software issues, fixing file system corruption issues equals less stress and time spent and more time spent doing the things I love on the Chromebook. I have WAY more peace of mind. ( I recently rebuilt my Office Windows 7 Pro computer, backed it up, took an image of the build, and this took about 6 hours total).
7. Price. $349 for this is a reasonable deal. I'm happy I didn't go with a Windows 8 ultrabook and spent at least double what I paid for this Chromebook. I have also experienced people losing their laptops, dropping their laptops, or having their laptops stolen while staying at hotels, so if one of these unfortunate things happen to you, at least you know you only lost $349 vs $500-$1000 with a typical Windows laptop!

This is the first laptop I've bought in five years, and the Chromebook has convinced me that it's a game changer for my daily work flows. I highly recommend this Chromebook. Google's mobile computing vision is very progressive and forward thinking, which works perfect for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2013 11:14:19 AM PST
mike says:
you know, Google Books lets you upload 1,000 epub and pdf files and works offline.

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 4:26:29 PM PST
GC says:
To me im skeptical of Chrome Books being introduced in the budget market while options such as Toshiba Satellite NB15T-A1302 Laptop a 11.6 TouchScreen, ASUS D450CA-AH21 14-Inch , Lenovo IdeaPad S400 14.0-Inch, Dell Inspiron 11 i3137-3751sLV 11.6-Inch Touchscreen for +/- $350 is also available for consumers looking for quick value notebook.

Android ecosystem has a large number of apps and Chrome's app selection seemed to be growing as well. But is this really a good thing?? Huge number of Android Apps and even popular sucks your personal info, web searches, essentially what im saying is ADROID ecosystem is a collection of malicious apps that records your unique personal internet personality in the background while it sells gathers money from selling to Advertisers without your consent.

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 2:39:33 AM PDT
glenn says:
My Chromebook set up in minutes. When I logged in with my GMAIL account, the Chrome browser that I had been using with my traditional laptop came up instantly. I really like toe fast boot-up. Still getting the hang of it with this really neat Chromebook. Thank you for your review, it helped me decide to purchase mine. I will be writing my own review soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2014 6:18:32 PM PDT
kaizenlpi says:
Np, I will say, I miss the Bash Shell in Mac OS X, Snagit, and Evernote full versions, but Chrome has verions of these apps. Think of them like the lite version being paired down with their functionality.

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 3:48:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2014 3:54:37 PM PDT
I also have a Chromebook and now have two Chromebooks ( my sister just purchased the new one for me from Amazon, thanks Amazon, thanks Barb!) The downside is that on the second one you don't get the two yrs free in the cloud . On both Chromebooks, the one I just got today as well, it recommends downloading HTML for slow connections which I wonder about especially on the new one ( the "old" one was purchased Nov 1, 2013 ). Anyway I'm not here to bash Chromebooks- I love my Chromebook(s), issues and all. I'm just trying to figure out if I have to have a T-Mobile phone to qualify for the free 4 G's for life and how to disable it since I've found out that it continues to run even when you're not using it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2014 10:43:57 AM PST
USA Patriot says:
GC, I have heard this, but how is it proven? Doesn't Windows do the same thing? Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (312 customer reviews)

$479.99