3.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst but.....not the best either, August 2, 2012
This review is from: BOSS Audio BV9965I In-Dash Single-Din 7-inch Motorized Detachable Touchscreen DVD/CD/USB/SD/MP4/MP3 Player Receiver with Remote (Electronics)
To start off, I believe this unit is a pretty good deal for the money if your upgrading from a simple stock radio/cd stereo. The fact that it will play mp3s as well as video is an awesome + and I am looking forward to giving my passengers something to watch on long trips. The unit will not play DVDs while the vehicle is in drive, but, if your a DIY kind of person, this is EASY to bypass by connecting the parking break wire to ANY ground/negative wire in your vehicle. It's ILLEGAL of course, so I'm not telling you to do it. This unit also has lots of ports including a MICRO SD slot(which is accessed by manually removing the faceplate), USB port, auxiliary input, and all the cables on the rear of the unit to hook up a back up camera and amp. The unit itself has a very simple and clean look to it which is nice. The screen is nice and crisp as well. I was a little cautious about the screen resolution before using the DVD playback option, but after popping in a couple of movies, I'm really loving the quality. The sound put out by the BV9965I is also impressive. I could definitely tell that I had a subwoofer. I like the fact that I now have the option of playing media from my MP3 discs/player and DVDs.

That being said, this is only an okay unit. The manual has frequent misspellings, broken English, and non-existent words throughout. I read the manual several times and, it could just be me missing something, but I think that a few of the features of the unit are not covered by the manual at all. Also, the outside of the box for the BV9965I states that it comes with a trim plate and mounting hardware,however, they were left out of mine. I don't know if I was just lucky, or if this is just how it is packaged.

The BV9965I also comes with delays and pauses. The stereo will take awhile to load CD's whether they are MP3 or not and pauses the music when you click on any other option menu from the touch screen, which is a little annoying. There also isn't a clock or time display to speak of UNLESS you change screens from the playback menu on the touch display. This, as stated before, pauses CD/MP3 playback. When you switch back to the playback screen, the unit takes a few seconds or so to resume play. Although this unit has a clean look, it's almost on the verge of simplistic. No frills. Just the basic buttons and a basic head unit display. The wallpaper on the touch display can be changed between 5 defaults though. However, the touch screen is not very sensitive. After two calibrations, I'm still having trouble with the screen recognizing my touch. Sometimes there are delays in the touch recognition. I'll select a menu and nothing will happen for 5 or 10 seconds. This is really tedious, especially when driving. The stereo does come with a stylus pen, which I thought was kinda cool, but it doesn't help much. Another tedious thing to consider is that the remote will not work unless pointed straight on towards the head unit. If I'm casually using the remote while driving, it will not work. I have to put my arm up and back in the space between the driving and passenger seat so that the signal is hitting the sensor dead on. This works well if your back seat passengers are watching a video, but this is something they would probably do while on a road trip and not just sitting in the parking lot, the only way the DVD playback will work, for several hours.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that although the Boss BV9965I packs a lot of features for the price, it does have drawbacks. Definitely not a top of the line model, this is a good option to consider if you are looking to upgrade from a simple stock radio and want something that will play DVD as well.

August 27,2012

It's almost been a month now and my opinion still stands. Although I have gotten use to the pauses in playback and mp3 load times, I've given up on the clock all together. The clock setting changes on me randomly, no matter how many times I reset it to the correct time. Sometimes the time will display as 4 pm, sometimes it's 16:00. I can correct the time only to have the clock display the wrong hour five minutes later. Also, the USB is not a true USB port. I think the port on the stereo unit might be a firewire? port. The stereo comes with a cable with a USB head on one end and the head for the stereo unit on the other. For the money, it's still a good buy, but one would think they would mention in greater detail the ports of the unit. I did not know the SD slot was a Micro SD until the thing arrived either.

[Add comment]