5.0 out of 5 stars HP 2511x is a definite LED-monitor winner, January 6, 2012
This review is from: HP 2511x 25-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
I've been on the hunt for a good reasonably-priced LED monitor for a while (I won't start on this...), something that I will find to my satisfaction in its features and picture quality. I think I've found it. I mainly came to the decision based off the rating ratios, and with the knowledge that even highly-rated items can sometimes lead to disappointment. This one seemed to have the highest proportion of 5-star ratings, and it did have much of the features I was looking for: LED, >23", GLOSSY, few complaints about color and viewing angle, and high customer satisfaction based on ratings. There are actually very few LED monitors out there that are glossy, and I'm so glad this one is a glossy screen. I'll let you know that on my initial purchase, I was sent a unit that was somewhat of a disappointment. The screen overall looked good, but for some reason, the contrast at the top appeared to be darker than the contrast on the lower half the screen. This is ASIDE from the usual TN monitor viewing angle issues that usually has to do with color. Interestingly, the contrast issue was such that the top did also produce a more pinkish tint. It was kind of annoying even sitting 5 feet away at eye-level. I queried several reviewers and looked through what customers have noted, and it didn't seem like anyone had this problem. Some also reported pretty even colors throughout when sitting in front. I gave it a shot and had it exchanged, without any clue if the next unit would have the same issue (e.g., was it just me who was picky?). Lo and behold, my 2nd unit looks more like the one people are giving 5 stars! The contrast top to bottom is MUCH more even, without that pink tint at the top, and the whites look VERY GOOD throughtout the screen, much improved form the last unit. (Currently? The white appears 95-98% even across the screen at 4 feet away or more, and one may detect an extremely subtle pinch of off-white/yellow if you sit closer or if you scrutinize the screen for 1 minute). Unfortunately, this means that not all units are made the same, but I'm glad I finally ended up with a unit consistent with reviews AND satisfies my expectations for a monitor in this price range. So here I go with an outline of my review:

PROS
- Excellent screen size for daily student use. I can sit back much further with less strain on my eyes and posture while still getting great viewing range at eye-level. Given that the resolution is 1080p, 23" might be good for DPI, but 23" is slightly on the smaller range, and I wanted a larger screen size coming off of my 21" previously. 27" would have been a good size, but then DPI would have been less attractive. It's a delicate balance here, and 25" is JUST right, for me.
- Excellent contrast and brightness. I use about 80% and 80%. For reported 250 cd/m2 on this screen, even 80/80 is brighter than my "300 cd/m2" of my Dell Studio XPS 16 screen (which inspired me to find LED monitors).
- Very good viewing angles for its class. TFT-TN monitors will always suffer the same issues, but not all suffer the same extent. I've definitely seen many models/many different brands that have varying degrees of viewing angle satisfaction. Yes, if you lean off center side to side, the further end will start to have a light yellow tint. But let's say you are watching a film/video, and u stand maybe off to the side a bit--you can still see what is going on and you may not even notice much distortion in color/contrast unless you really stare at the screen with scrutiny as you come to the center. If it hasn't bothered me, I don't think it will bother most users who are buying monitors of this class. Believe me, I've seen pretty bad ones.
- White is more white, black is more black. The "LED white" is one of the main reasons to upgrade from a regular LCD monitor. The white is very good especially when you are on center at least 4 feet away. The black is a pure, deep black and smooth and consistent throughout the screen. No backlight bleeding, by the way! Makes black-background webpages and movies very neat to look at.
- Excellent color representation for its class. As you may know, TFT-TN monitors will still have the issue with viewing angles. On center, the left and right are pretty symmetrical and similar/same as the center. Top to bottom, with colors that are not back, you will notice a gradual gradation of color as you scan top-to-bottom, but that is typical, and the issue is actually less on this monitor than on many others I've seen. Only IPS monitors can resolve this, if you're really demanding that. I'm not really complaining. :)
- Sharp and crisp. Text at 80% contrast and 80% brightness is excellent. That's all.
- Easy-to-use buttons. The buttons are actually located on the underside of the screen with labels facing you. The functionality is pretty easy to figure out and not complicated. There's a function to turn off the Power light if you choose to, but I like to keep it on, as it has a nice neon-teal color to it. When activating the monitor from sleep, there is virtually no waiting time for things to show up except for monitor-based prompt menu that says which plug is detected (disappears in 2 seconds or so).
- Stable base and support. Just in case people wanted to know. The monitor will only shake a little when you're touching the buttons or handling the monitor with your hands. Otherwise, it is very stable.
- Glossy. I'm a fan of glossy screens. I won't go into a battle between matte vs. glossy, because both have its pros/cons. I favor glossy over matte because: 1) In any lit room or with windows or whatnot, all my matte screens I've used experience complete screen washout. You basically can't make out anything because the light reflecting off the surface is diffuse and goes across the entire surface. However, with glossy, I've never been bothered by reflections, and even in bright lighting situations, the most you get is a reflection of that source, but it is localized and does not wash out the whole screen. Plus, I probably just subconsciously adapt to it and maybe move my head over 1 inch or ignore the light completely. 2) Glossy in any lit room seems to provide better clarity and richness in color/contrast. (In complete darkness, matte vs. glossy appear pretty much the same.)

CONS
- It's not IPS, but hey, it's got deep black that is consistent throughout. For $230 (when I bought it), this is one of the best in the TN class that I've seen, and met my expectations. The viewing angle descriptions I described above.
- Does not rotate and does not have vertical adjustment. Minor complaint, but I have my monitor on a stand so I can keep it eye-level. It would have been nice to have such features though.
- You may get lucky and get a good unit. But you may also get something slightly disappointing. If you suspect that there may be some flaw or fault to your unit, it's probably not you or your eyes--it's the monitor. Amazon helped me with the exchange process very easily, and now I am absolutely happy with my new unit. This is a quality control issue that likely applies to any product you choose, no matter how good they reportedly are. But if I were you, I -would- believe the 5-star ratings, and you should get a unit that meets those standards.
- This is very picky, and I'm sure most people won't notice, but if you are within the range of 1-5 feet from the monitor and you look away the monitor but keep it enough in your peripheral vision, you might see subtle indication of flickering off to your peripheral vision esp with white background and dark text/lines. Not a biggie, I think it's normal for LEDs to do that (although my Dell Studio XPS 16 WLED screen does not). Just to be clear, there is NO OBSERVABLE FLICKERING when viewing directly at this HP monitor.

I tried to include commentary about features or issues that I did not see any other viewer describe. For instance, few will talk about the vertical viewing angles at eye-level, which for me is a bigger issue than side-to-side viewing angles. I'll just you know that this is the best TFT-TN monitor I've been able to find so far that is glossy and LED. You can expect high-quality from this product, and I hope I've been able to help you in making a decision when searching for a monitor of this class to purchase. My rating is CONFIDENTLY 4.9/5 for a good unit, and I'm not counting off too much for viewing angles, as I'm not trying to compare to IPS class monitors. Anyway, enjoy!

FYI, at the time of writing this review:

5 stars: 63 (75%)
4 stars: 19 (23%) - includes issues that even as someone as picky as I am can live with.
3 stars: 1