4.0 out of 5 stars New vocals!! Rust in Peace veterans beware..., July 27, 2004
This review is from: Rust In Peace (Audio CD)
Along with Master of Puppets and Seasons in the Abyss, Rust in Peace is one of the greatest metal albums of all time! So when I heard Dave Mustaine was remastering the Megadeth catalog, I HAD to get my hands on a fresh copy!

Let me start with the high notes... The musicianship is OUTSTANDING. The instruments are crisp and clear, with lots of insane riffing and rapid fire drumming annihilation! You can even hear the thumping bass line, which I never heard on the original cassette or CD (except for the obvious bass intros to Five Magics, Poison Was The Cure, and Dawn Patrol). As far as the music goes, the remastered version of RIP certainly delivers! Buuuuuut...

Okay, here we go... For those of you who have never heard Rust in Peace, stop reading right here. Turn your computer off, drive to the store and BUY IT NOW!!! You MUST own this cd!!! Rust in Peace veterans read on...

Dave Mustaine butchered the vocals!! Did he re-sing them? I'm no sound or recording expert, but I can certainly tell when a beloved recording that I've been listening to since I was 14 years old (I'm 27 now) has been altered. As everybody knows, Take No Prisoners and Five Magics have entirely new vocals, but upon further inspection, I've realize most of the album (maybe all?) has new vocals as well. Just listen to the low Vic Rattlehead vocals of Polaris, the chorus of Lucretia, and the jumble of words in Poison Was The Cure... you can tell the vocals are different. It's very noticeable in the parts where the rest of the band sings back up ("The warheads will all rust in peace!", and the "Hey!" part of Lucretia), and since they weren't around for the remastering process, the difference is clear. And of course, we're all reeling over the butchering of Five Magics (even the printed lyrics are different!). As far as I can tell, only Holy Wars and Hangar 18 haven't been altered (I'm on the fence with Tornado of Souls). The vocals sound the same, just louder and clearer along with the rest of the music.

Has Dave Mustaine pulled a George Lucas on us and changed a beloved product just because he thinks he can make it better? I heard something about Capitol losing the vocal tracks to Take No Prisoners... did the same happen to all the songs? At least an explanation in the booklet would have been nice. Are the rest of the remasters the same?

You know Dave, it is possible to remaster an album without altering its content. Just look at Slayer's pre-Reign in Blood catalog... the production is so bad, even the remasters sound like [...] But at least they didn't change the content of the recordings. And that's where the remastered Rust in Peace fails.

Of course you could just pretend the first 9 tracks don't exist and buy it just for the demos and the old unreleased track My Creation (it's only 1:34 minutes long... er, short!). The booklet is actually pretty cool, with an introduction by Dave Mustaine and several band photos from that time period. It seems my particular copy was factory-pressed incorrectly. The lyric sheets to Holy Wars and Hangar 18 are cut in half, with Dave Ellefson's forehead appearing on the bottom of the page, and his neck on the top. Looks like a factory mistake, but I don't mind, it just it makes it a little more rare. Any other fans out there have messed up copies too?

I give the remastered version of Rust in Peace four stars because I can't bear to give such a masterpiece anything less. If not for the new vocals, it would've been an EASY five.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2006 10:40:37 PM PST
M. Ciminelli says:
i couldn't agree more with everything that you say. you are right on the money!!! good ears bro. i hate to hear a masterpiece replaced by anything else

Posted on Mar 21, 2007 11:48:08 PM PDT
H. Lee says:
Very well said. Mustaine didn't have to re-record vocal tracks. He was at his best on originals. But,.... it's still Rust In Peace. One of the Best metal album ever.

Posted on Mar 25, 2007 7:56:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2007 7:56:42 PM PDT
Ok, the original vocal recordings were lost, but Dave could have tried to make them at least *like* the original. Maybe he didn't listen to the original as much as the fans did and didn't know how blatant the difference would be. The change that keeps coming to mind is in the call-and-response part of Five Magics between Dave and Victor. Goodness, he could at least get the cadence right!

In the original it was:

DAVE: "Only one will stay a-lie-ive"
VICTOR: "Only one will...stay alive".

The pause between "will" and "stay" in Victor's response and the accelerating of "stay alive" to make up the difference was exquisite and now it's lost. There are bits of flavor missing throughout the new vocals. I find myself avoiding listening to the new album so that my memory of the original is not replaced (I lost my tape.) How lame that they lost the original vocals. It's Dave's fault.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2007 7:53:23 PM PDT
Smithy1185 says:
I just got into Megadeth(wish I had sooner) and I absolutely love this album. When I found out about the changed vocals though it bothered me. For a first time listener to RIP am I missing out alot by not having the original vocals?

Posted on May 23, 2007 6:48:01 AM PDT
I think you are right about the vocals being redone. Because I only heard this album a couple of times about 10 years ago in high school and now hearing the remaster. I think I subconsciously also noticed the vocals are slightly different. I didn't pay much attention to it, as I said it was more a subconscious thought, so I didn't really know what was wrong, it just sounded slightly different to the couple of times I heard the album in high school 10 years ago. But now that you mention that the vocals have been altered, I have no doubts that is what has been done. I still need to get an original version to compare the reissue with (but I guess you have already done that) though I still want to hear the difference for myself, not that I don't believe you, it's just that I want to hear the difference between the two.
This kinda reminds me of the 5.1 channel butchery by Rhino on the TRANSFORMERS DVDs.
Good ears bro, I think we would make a perfect spy team listening in on people's conversations. Because I notice these kinds of things aswell, but I didn't notice this one.
Personally I like the originals of everything, whether it be a movie or music or whatever.

Later bro

Posted on Jul 30, 2007 4:47:40 AM PDT
A good review! It is really helpful. I just bought the new version, mostly because of your review. Thanks! It should only have been 5 stars...the new vocals are almost as good as the original ones!

Posted on Mar 17, 2008 1:23:41 AM PDT
Fortunately, there are still copies of the original cd out there...I got mine on ebay for a decent price - and then I burned a backup copy! The same with So Far...So Good...So What!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 7:50:52 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 2, 2008 12:23:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2008 3:59:23 PM PDT
From wikipedia:

"Rust in Peace was re-released in 2004 with a new sound and four new bonus tracks. During the audio mixing process, Mustaine found that the original lead vocal tracks for "Take No Prisoners", "Five Magics" and "Lucretia" were missing - he had no choice but to re-record the vocals on "Take No Prisoners" and use alternate takes for "Lucretia" and "Five Magics"."

That being said, I like the alternate takes of "Lucretia" and "Five Magics" but I'm not too crazy about how the re-recording of "Take No Prisoners" sounds. Overall, I think the remaster was a success; the tracks sound INCREDIBLE. Good review, and good ear!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2008 12:32:04 PM PDT