5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Pleasantly Surprised, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Dart Prepaid Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I've read many reviews prior to my decision to buy the Dart. I was skeptical to say the least, as many reviews pooh-poohed the Dart. As a pay-as you-go T-Mobile customer and owning a simple cell phone, I felt the need to step up and purchase a more versatile phone. I didn't want to be so outdated. The Dart being an "entry level" android smart phone at a very reasonable price seemed like a no-brainer.

As a newbie in the world of smart phones, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure most of the reviewers I've read own a far more superior smart phone than the Dart. This may be the reason they were downplaying the Dart. For $149, the screen resolution is better than expected. The feel of the phone is nice. The touch screen is wonderful. The volume is very good. The day pass to the web is $1.49 for 40MB of download at 3G speed. After that it's 2G. I don't need the web for business or any function other than occasional use, so the $1.49/3G/2G is fine with me. The call quality is very good. The QWERTY keyboard is very functionable, and I haven't tried the Swype function yet.

I upped the 2GB microSD card to 8GB so I can upload my MP3s, and photos, + other files from my computer.

I can see why people get hooked on smart phones. They are almost addictive. I can't seem to put mine down.

After I use the web, and other applications, and I think I have them closed, I see that my battery drains very fast. One of the many useful shortcuts I added to my home page is "Task Manager". I open this shortcut often and close all active applications. My battery lasts much longer.

Pros - Just about everything for the $149 in a "pay as you go" plan.

Cons - The camera is somewhat adequate and video camera leaves much to be desired. You need a steady and slow panning hand. Quality - Eh!

I recommend this phone.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2012 5:24:02 PM PST
J. Labore says:
Hello, I have T-Mobile prepaid. Will the GPS work without costing me minutes. Is it any good? I figure the cost of the phone is equal to the cost of a cheap GPS.
T-mobile.com has it on sale for $99 right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 11:29:50 AM PST
Barnegat Bay says:
T-Mobile's Prepaid plan no longer offers web access. This occured after I purchased the phone. However, the Dart is sooo much easier to use than a cell phone only device. Would I buy it again. YES. Hey, I don't use a cell phone very often, so for the $149 I paid for the phone is worth it since I barley use up the 1,000 minutes for $100 per year. this come out to approx. $8 per month for a "use when neccessary" phone.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 6:58:41 AM PST
Steve R says:
I'm not sure you answered JLabore's question, will the GPS still work with prepaid only or is it dependent on having a data plan? Thanks, I'm curious myself.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:53:50 PM PST
Daniel says:
Did the phone come with a sim?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 4:26:20 PM PST
J. Labore says:
I have since purchased a used iPhone 3G 8GB. bought on craigslist for $100. like new. works excellent. I have not jailbroken it yet but the GPS works with the maps even if I do not have wifi connection. I was connected via wifi when I started the route. not sure if that makes a difference.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 2:50:45 PM PDT
techie705 says:
My phone came with a sim, I don't think mine is prepaid. I got it through T-Mobile, and pay $50/month for unlimited everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 6:10:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 6:17:36 AM PDT
HB says:
To J.Labore ~ iPhone
Now that's something!
Are you saying you're using an older iPHone just as GPS and w/out it even being hooked to a cell provider? -(if I'm understanding "jail-breaking" to mean to make it avail to the T-Mobile network, and you haven't )

Could you let us all know how the iPhone works once you get it on the cell network?
I'm regretting needing to buy somewhat expensive smartphones and thus having to renew the 2-yr contract to use w/ T-mobile w/ data access. I think we'd prefer the apple interface as we've been mac users for years.

This would be very helpful to know*. Frustrated w/ T-mobile, their retention department now has me about to buy 2 Galaxy's on discount for the data users and a Dart for a non-data plan line just to keep us.

*ie: if the iPhone is good w/ T-mobile. Since they don't sell them, T-Mo is telling me their product line is better so we'll buy that plus extend the contract.
I'd rather consider iPhones.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:16:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 9:16:56 AM PST
Green Sarah says:
The 50 $/month prepaid have unlimited minutes. As the sales rep explained to me, using the GPS counts as internet download, and the high speed download is capped to a certain amount. After cap is reached, it doesn't stop but it slows down.
The GPS works very well. To get spoken directions, you need to download an app. When you use the GPS, you willbe asked on the screen whether you want the app.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 5:22:24 PM PST
K. Pendrey says:
I'm thinking about buying the Dart. I've read your review plus many others and I think I might get one with the Ptel service. They are selling the Dart for only 100 dollars! Only my question is, if I get that phone, will Dart work the same way when you wrote it in your review, or will it malfunction?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›