5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, May 10, 2008
This review is from: Dyson DC25 Ball All-Floors Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
This thing is amazing!

I have wanted a Dyson ever since they first came out, but when I went to a store to look at them, it was so heavy I would need one for each level of my house and not enough closet space to store them.

This is under 12 pounds, fits easily in a closet, and is so light it's very easy to carry up stairs. I'll admit I'm not a fan of cleaning but being a female engineer I certainly appreciate well-designed products. This one has many clever features. The cleaning head is low-profile, so it easily hugs floor boards under kitchen cabinets (huge plus!). The ball design is incredibly inventive and so easy to use. It's like the difference hauling a suitcase around that has weels that go in only one direction vs. the new ones with pivot wheels - makes SO much sense and doesn't hurt my back to use it.

Cleaning power is great! It isn't especially labelled for pet hair cleanup, but does a great job. I cleaned once with my old vaccuum, then filled this Dyson up with a 2nd run through. I was amazed at how much my old one didn't pick up!

Assembly is easy - just 3 snap in place steps and no tools. If you get stuck on attaching the wand (which didn't seem to fit when you put it in according to the picture), turn it around to the other side and it snaps right in.

Most vacuums have hand tools that are awkward or just don't work. This is so easy to pull out (with a long handle to reach ceiling cobwebs) that I don't hesitate to use it many times in the midst of vacuuming a room. The attachments have very good suction power. The long handle makes everything, floor to ceiling to window sills, easy to reach without effort.

The only thing I'd improve upon is a better attachment for stair cleaning. The attachment isn't quite wide enough to make stair cleaning as fast as I'd like. I think there is an attachment sold separately that looks wider that might be better. And if you try to do stairs without the attachment (and carry the whole vacuum up each stair), it is difficult because the back set of balls move and disable the rotating brush and you can't manouver the whole thing across a stair. But no vacuum can do that properly, right?

All in all, I think it is a tad bit expensive, but I think I'll never buy another vacuum in my life. And how good for the environment, not needing to buy and throw away vacuum bags! If I divide the cost by the number of years I'll use it and the decreased allergens in my house, it is worth every penny!

I'm not the kind of person to get excited about a vacuum cleaner, so I hope you appreciate my review :) I really do like this machine!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2008 10:21:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2008 10:21:51 AM PST
Under 12 lbs? Dyson's own website says 16.12 lbs.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2009 6:29:08 AM PST
jeannie says:
The weight is confusing - Amazon says the product weighs 23 lb, Dyson's site says 16.2 - but it's clearly lighter and easier to maneuver than any other upright I've used. I wonder if the 12lb number came from info on the DC24?

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 7:43:46 AM PST
Which Dyson model are you reviewing?---the DC25 weighs 16 lbs

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 11:20:57 AM PST
Alla says:
Thank you for your review! very useful!

Posted on Dec 24, 2009 7:07:00 PM PST
K. Love says:
Like you, I'm a techy fan and HATE to clean (but LOVE the results of cleaning), so you've made my decision on the million of vacuum options we have, much easier! Thank you for all of the details :-)

PS: for everyone critiquing her weight estimate of this vacuum; give her a break; she's probably in really good shape :-)

I'm SOLD!

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 8:10:41 AM PDT
augment says:
I have this vacuum and I think it is very heavy, Im planning to get rid of this one and get the dc24. This one is too heavy for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 8:56:28 AM PDT
MusicRules says:
For me, the weight is minimal. I just want a good quality vacuum that picks up massive amounts of long dog hair from my border collie. She sheds all year long. Does this seem like it would work?

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 1:04:13 PM PDT
sammismom says:
I was told you can not replace the belts on the Dyson's easily!

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 10:57:07 PM PDT
Wings42 says:
Thanks for a great review. We love our old Dyson D14, bought refurbished 5 years ago, soon to be given to our son. I just brought home a new D25, and expect to be even happier with it than with the D14. The D14's filter isn't cleanable. With our dog and two cat, having a bigger, more powerful machine with a washable HEPA filter seems like a good idea.

Somebody in another review opined that the ball is just a gimmick. My comment was that the ball is for twist of the wrist turning, and the motor is in the ball for low center of gravity and light handling. Your comment supports my reply. I'll not review this vacuum in Amazon, but may review it in the big box store where we bought it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (970 customer reviews)

$499.99 $449.99