Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Headphones for Everyone Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Peak Flask, August 15, 2009
This review is from: Snow Peak Titanium Round Flask
This flask does not dissapoint. It is incredibly light and sturdy. The finish is even and attractive. It attracts fingerprints, but not overly so. My only qualm is with the cap design. There is no leash or teather on the cap which would make it easy to lose if accidentally dropped. Make sure to rinse the flask well after delivery, mine contained quite a few large flakes of machined titanium. I cannot imagine that one would want to ingest them.

The final bit of info would be the shape of the flask. While it is described as round, it is not described as concave. The back of the flask, not shown in the picture is concave much like a traditional hip flask. This allows it to fit into the pocket quite comfortably. I was surprised by the shape, but was not disappointed. I am extremely picky about ergonomics and attractive design, so the unexpected is usually a negative. I was pleased to find that the design did not stray from the image in my mind so far as to frustrate me.

All in all an excelent purchase.
Set includes Flask, carry bag, and plastic funnel all packaged in a cardboard package. Made in china. Japaneese company. Packaging primarily in Japaneese.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 2:59:33 PM PST
H. Goldman says:
This flask is made in Japan not in China.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:44:25 PM PST
M. Jacobs says:
This was three years ago, but the box read Made in China when I recieved it. The flask itself says Japan directly on it, but the box said made in china. Maybe the newer models are made in Japan and the Made in stamp may reflect this, however I wrote that this was made in china because it was written on the box.

I also noted clearly that Snowpeak is a Japanese company.
This changes nothing when it comes to the fact that the box says made in china.
Japanese flask, made in china, at least they were in 2009 when I reviewed this product.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 3:54:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:08:02 PM PST
H. Goldman says:
I actually contacted Snow Peak because of your review and a few others I came across that hinted at this product being made in China. The last thing I wanted was a $125 Chinese made POS. These flasks have never been made in China, always Japan. Oddly enough, the bag, funnel, and all the packaging included are made in China. I guess the U.S. isn't the only country plagued by rampant outsourcing to the PRC. My box does say "Made in Japan" though.

All this is beyond the point.

I REALLY wanna know how this flask has held up these last 3 years? Do you love it? Was it worth the expense over time? Post a picture of it so we can see how its weathered over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:33:31 PM PST
M. Jacobs says:
Interesting find on the Japan/China thing. Maybe when I got mine, the box and accesories were being produced in china, as you mentioned, and so they stampped the box 'China'.

As for quality, the flask itself is superb. Three years later and it has not picked up a single dent or scratch. It gets moderate use from me mostly on trips, campouts, and picnics. There are only two qualms i have to date: one is the cap, still bummed about how easy it is to drop and lose. The second qualm i have is in the diameter of the mouth. Due to its narrowness, the flask is very difficult to fill. Mind you I work in a Lab and am used to pouring things awkwardly on a regular basis. Even so, this flask is imopssible to fill with the included funnel without spilling.

The issue is that the funnel will wick liquid by cappilary action up between the funnel and wall of the flask opening. The liquid then effectively plugs the opening so air is incapable of escaping as liquid enters the flask. If the mouth were bigger the internal pressure would overcome the surface tension of the liquid and break it allowing the funnel to continue emptying into the flask. Since the mouth is so small this issue is impossible to overcome.

I routinely lose ~2-3oz of liquid while filling this flask. I have not found a smaller funnel, nor have I modified my funnel. This could be done by removing most of the funnel neck, leaving only a long stem attached to the bowl. Liquid would then pour down the stem following electrostatic charges.

I would buy this flask again if I were put to it. The only other small annoyance is that it has no flat base. Meaning you cannot stand it up while open. A very minor annoyance which I did not anticipate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 3:42:05 PM PST
McJoe says:
Hi, nice review, and thanks to all the commentors as you have all effectively answered most of my Q's. I have a stainless Coleman Leather-bound (made in China POS) flask, luckily with a cap hinge and a decent funnel, but I had a similar problem filling mine.

I busted out an old (new in box) aluminum Coleman funnel, with the felt filter material, originally intended for filling white gas/dual fuel lanterns. The felt was in a bit of a cartridge, with an aluminum ring around the outside, and was easily removed bu pushing a pencil up the spout. This gave the narrow end (that goes in the flask) enough clearance past the hole to prevent the capillary action you described.

Now I don't think they make the aluminum lantern funnels anymore, but I'm pretty sure one of the newer plastic ones with the screen filters would solve that problem for you. 2 - 3 spilled shots per fill is severe alcohol abuse... you should be ashamed ;)

Here's the funnel they make now:

Coleman Filter Funnel

you can buy cheaper ones as well, but I'm all about sticking with the companies that treat me right, and coleman always has. Good luck, can't wait for my new flask!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 8:56:51 PM PDT
Ian says:
Do you think a turkey baster (syringe) would be a viable alternative to the funnel?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 10:46:02 PM PDT
M. Jacobs says:
The inside diameter of the mouth of the flask is 5/8". A syringe or baster that fit inside with a little room to spare for air evacuation would work fine. The biggest hurdle there would be filling a baster with alcohol. The ethanol has a lower surface tension than water, so it tends to drain out of a large baster/pipette. I don't own a turkey baster or a syringe to try this with, but you would certainly be able to save yourself from spills more easily with one. Seems like a reasonable solution.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 10:49:46 PM PDT
Ian says:
My incremental increase of alcohol consumption is directly correlated and proportional to my increase of surface tension. :0

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 9:29:06 PM PST
Thanks for all the answered questions, you've helped me decide what flask I think would be best suited to my needs. Since you're a scientist of some sort, I offer this solution to the funnel fiasco: Grab yourself a ziploc (or self supporting lab bags with the wire flip closure if you've got those handy at work. Their material is definitely better in the rigidity category) and make what amounts to a plastic bag version of a shotgunned beer bottle. Use a coffee stirrer or straw or whatever (again, you're a scientist, my assumption is you don't need me to spell out materials or anything. You're probably smarter than me anyhow!) to create the desired effect so that the air entering the container to release pressure must travel through the same orifice as the liquid leaving. Using a tube of some sort and a ziploc or water collection bag with a hole snipped into one of the corners means you can make your "funnel" as big as you need on both ends without much fanfare, and afterward you can toss that sucker without care, or pop a rubber band on the hole and use the bag (turned inside out to protect contents from any sneaky liquor drops that refuse to go down without a fight) as a kind of carrying case or impromptu cigar humidifier, etc. You get the idea. Pretty much limitless possibilities for a plastic bag.

In any case, forgive my long-winded repose, though I do hope it helps. Again, thanks for your review and answered questions. They helped me out a lot. Hopefully this funnel formula I've offered can return the favor and square us up. Take care...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›