10 of 11 people found the following review helpful
Needs Sonic Spinball instead of Sonic 3 Without Knuckles,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Sonic Classic Collection (Video Game)
After the failed attempt to bring The Sega Genesis Sonic classic in 2006 on Game Boy Advance with Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, Sega finally got it right with Sonic classics collection for the DS.
Unlike Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, The graphics stay unmodified and stay true to the original game. However there are 2 modifications, which aren't that big of a deal.
A. In the originals, When you got the Running Sneaker prize box, The music would play at a faster speed. Now, it's also at a higher pitch.
B. No 2 player options in Sonic 2 or sonic 3
AT least with this release, the game play and graphics stay true to their original Format
1. Sonic 2 and 3 with Knuckles come pre-unlocked, where as in Sonic Mega Collection Plus, you have to unlock them.
2. Save feature. Save, Exit out and start back up again
3. Unmodified game play and graphics
1. Sonic 3 without Knuckles - Here's my issue. Sonic Spinball should have taken it's place. On Sonic 3 without Knuckles, You can play as Sonic, Tails or Sonic With Tails. With Knuckles, these 3 options are still there. Knuckles is an additional 4th option. So Putting The standard Sonic 3 was a waste of space when Sonic Spinball could have easily taken place
2. Genesis Sonic titles only. Unlike Sonic Mega Collection Plus, That has Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sega Master System titles, which were eventually re-issued as Sega Game gear titles. Considering a Disc probably holds more than a DS cartridge, this is an understandable con, but a con nonetheless.
3. No 2 player options in Sonic 2 or sonic 3. They could have made it possible via DS download play
4. Only the touch screen pauses the game - Kinda hard to get used to not pushing Start to pause.
5. Save feature requires you to start the entire stage over. Sonic Mega Collection Plus allows you start back up at the specific spot you saved at
With that being said, 4 Classic Sonic games on The DS, What more can you ask for?