BusinessSolutions Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Save on DIY Home Updates Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade to NEX-6, April 22, 2014
This review is from: Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera - Body only (Electronics)
Having pre-ordered and purchased this as an upgrade to a NEX-6, here are some initial impressions:

First off, the biggest improvement by far is the autofocus. They're not kidding - it is fast. DSLR fast. Even in low light situations that would leave the leave the NEX hopelessly hunting for focus, it can lock on. Focus seems very accurate as well.

Other enhancements:

+ More ISO Choices: The NEX-6 ISO settings were in 1-stop increments - 100/200/400/800/etc. The A6000 offers 1/3-stop increments: 100/125/160/200/etc. I'm sure this will come in handy. In addition, it offers multi-frame NR as an additional option when selecting auto-ISO (though this option is not available when shooting in RAW/JPG mode)

+ Better menu system: It is now much easier to use, and resembles the menu system of the RX100. I was able to get the camera set to my liking in a fraction of the time that it would have taken with the NEX-6, even today after using it for over a year and nearly 10,000 shots.

+ Better low-light performance: Shooting back-to-back with the NEX-6, the A6000 yields much cleaner JPG output at a given ISO. I haven't yet had a chance to look at RAW.

+ Burst mode: WOW. Continuous Shooting drive mode now offers three modes: lo/mid/hi. Speed priority is no longer there, I presume because of the much faster image processor and autofocus renders it unnecessary. On "Lo" it feels about the same as the NEX. On "Hi" it is like a chain gun.

+ The viewfinder: Yes, I think it is an upgrade. I could not discern any lower resolution, but it definitely is faster on the refresh and better in low light.

+ Auto-ISO: As was pointed out by a helpful commenter, it IS now possible to change the default range limits that auto-ISO uses. This is a much-needed upgrade, and will make this function usable for me now.

- As another reviewer pointed out, the (legacy lens) manual-focus assist zoom button has vanished. When using a legacy MF lens, they were a big help. However, the C2 button can be repurposed for that function via the menus, and although it doesn't work 100% as before, it does the job.

Overall, I'd give this camera six stars at this point if I could.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2014 9:00:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2014 9:04:35 AM PDT
Matt Eye says:
This camera overheats during video use, so for short videos it is OK to record them. It may not overheat as often as NEX-7, which I own, but this is very important because the RX100 otherwise is the best choice for video on a compact; a small sensor won't overheat or will show the overheat symbol but not actually enough to shutdown. Other cameras do not have the focus power and clarity of a Sony in my collection of cameras for video in dim light. The processor in the a6000 is probably similar to Intel i5 Dual-Core. Most videos are very noisy and hunt too much in dim light (slow processor>contrast detect) on other brands. I do plan on buying the a6000, although Canon GX1 Mark II was an option before reading of its poor battery life.

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 9:34:31 AM PDT
emeybee says:
Actually, there IS limit-setting for Auto-ISO:
Select [ISO AUTO] and press the right side of the control wheel, and set the desired values for [ISO AUTO Maximum] and [ISO AUTO Minimum].

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2014 7:35:39 PM PDT
JeffT says:

You're correct! I was looking for it in the regular menus. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 4:13:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 23, 2014 4:14:33 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 11:21:25 AM PDT
K. Dardashti says:
thanks for review.
You may consider a correction to your review. those are 1/3 stop increments, not 1/4th.
awaiting mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2014 6:17:28 PM PDT
Thank you. Updated.

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 2:10:10 PM PDT
L. Gerena says:
The imaging resource comparison images show the nex-6 actually matching or beating in some ears the 6000 on high ISO so you may want to check those ;)
Not to say the 6000 is not an improvement in most areas but lets keep it factual here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 6:56:29 AM PDT
JeffT says:
Thanksk for your comment. I'm sure the Imaging Resource know what they're doing, but I was making my own observations. YMMV, I suppose, but the JPG output of the A6 look better to me.

Posted on Jun 11, 2014 12:05:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2014 12:06:25 PM PDT
K. Gefroh says:
I have no understanding of cameras but I take a ton of pictures. I am a mom and most of my pictures are of my kids. They are on stage with weird lighting and running around some sort of sports field usually. I needed a camera that works fast like a DSLR but small enough to put in a case in my purse. After trying several cameras I came across the Nex5T for $500.00 and the Alpha A6000 for $750. I bought the Nex5t not able to figure out any major difference worth the price. I am willing to spend whatever I need to get what I want so please help me understand what the A6000 has. I also see that there is an NEX-6 which I did not see in the store?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2014 9:29:40 AM PDT
JeffT says:
If speed is your primary criterion, then the A6000 is the best choice, and a good compromise between size and image quality/speed. The NEX5 will be quite a bit slower overall, and you give up the viewfinder - that won't matter to some, but I personally can't stand shooting from a LCD screen.

The NEX6 is the previous model, which the A6000 replaces. There are still some out there, and it is a fine camera in its own right, but speed wise no better than the 5T.

If small size is very important to you, the RX100M3 might be worth a look. It has a much faster lens than its predecessor model, which goes a long way toward making up for its smaller sensor. It can take amazing pictures, and can fit in a pocket. Just some food for thought, hope that didn't confuse things further.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›