1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy It! - Horrible Audio Syncing Problem on Blu-ray Disk., April 27, 2011
This review is from: Fiddler on the Roof (Two Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
Despite the reviews of others that noted the audio syncing problem on the Blu-ray disk, I purchased it anyway thinking it may have been resolved. No such luck. It is almost unnoticeable during the first part of the movie, though I found myself questioning whether the audio and video were in sync or not - or if it was just me. Halfway through the movie there was NO DOUBT. The lips of the actors were WAY out of sync with the video. Long past distracting, it became unwatchable. I had to take the Blu-ray disk out and put in the standard DVD in order to finish watching the movie. Now I know why they include both DVDs!

What a disappointment. What a Shame. What a waste of money, I already owned the standard 40th Anniversary Edition. Amazon should pull this off the "shelf." This wasbad enough to make me write my first review... I feel cheated. And it is NOT my Blu-ray player. My Blu-ray player is a high end Samsung and it plays all of my other Blu-ray DVDs perfectly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2011 5:41:44 PM PDT
By the way, the review is not a reflection on the movie itself. Fiddler on the Roof is a 5 Star classic. The Blu-ray DVD gets the 1 Star review - and that is being generous.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 1:16:41 PM PDT
Y. Park says:
I have the same out-of sync problem with my PS3. I hope it is fixed and the disc is replaced by an exchange program or something. Other than the issue, I thoroughly enjoyed the film on this blu-ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 4:07:28 AM PST
J. Rosenman says:
I realize this is 18 months later, but... did you ever write to MGM and complain directly to them? And if so, did you get a reply? Obviously (!) Amazon had nothing to do with the product itself, they're a *store*. Since we shop by computer they have an obligation to be as informative as possible and they don't always do the best possible job at that (by the same token, do any of us want to be judged by the standard of perfection? I surely don't) but it seems to me that the answer to a quality problem with a manufacturing defect is with the manufacturer and not with the re-seller. [I'm considering purchasing this DVD/Blu-Ray as it's on sale, and so came across your comments.] I hope you DID write to MGM and got a satisfactory response--but I suspect you didn't, both from the direction of your unhappiness, and from the unbelievable ability of the industry to become deaf, blind and stone stupid when it comes to consumer complaints about product defects--unless those complaints start to pour in. But every river starts with a rain, and every rain is made up of drops (if you take my meaning...) All it takes is ten minutes of time and a stamp. [important hint: do NOT complain by e-mail for something like this. These are people from the stone age; they hire other people to make their VCRs stop flashing 12:00. They see no reason to have a disc player at home since the VCR still works. Their grandchildren gave up trying to explain long ago...]
A final note: I believe MGM went through bankruptcy some years ago and was acquired by another studio, but are obviously using that very well known name. It may require a little bit of Googleing to find out what studio actually owns MGM and therefore who you really need to write to--perhaps it says so on the Disc packaging itself--if you decide to write now. In any case, good luck to all of us. I agree, releasing a product with a defect of the sort you described is completely outrageous, and daring to sell it ought to be actionable as consumer fraud.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 8:51:16 AM PST
I had this problem with "Edward Scissorhands" and returned my copy. Its sad when technology doesn't live up to expectations of buyers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:32:48 PM PST
Jason Hurd says:
I wonder if it is a known problem with the disc... or if it was simply a firmware issue back in 2011...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 4:22:21 AM PST
It is a known problem with the Region A release from April 2011. It was reported as such by High-Def Digest in their review at http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4705/fiddler.html. Most user reviews of the blu-ray have noted the problem. The region B release in October 2011 does not appear to have the same issue, and is also in the correct aspect ratio as shown in cinemas.

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 8:37:23 PM PDT
Jim Tarleton says:
I have the 40th anniversary Blu-Ray and I just played it. I had no trouble with any audio syncing problem. My Blu-Ray was a perfect clear beautiful disc and enjoyable from beginning to end.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 8:40:58 PM PDT
Dr.Blu says:
I also have the 40th Anniversary BLU RAY and totally enjoyed the movie. The syncing was a tiny bit off but only on the outdoor musical numbers... which is fairly common due to the difficulty in matching film to studio soundtrack.

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 11:49:59 AM PST
K. Bruce says:
Horrible audio sync is correct. Love the movie, royally pissed with the audio sync drop out at "Do You Love Me" number. Called the distributor with a complaint. They listened, promised they'd get back to me, then didn't get back to me. The only upside is that there's another edition coming out January of 2014. Let us hope that they address the issue with this latest re-release.

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 1:12:28 AM PST
K. Bruce says:
Fiddler is getting a release January 7th, 2014 on blu-ray and I'm anxious to find out if the egregious audio sync problem was fixed. It is so bad during "Do You Love Me" that the film is made completely unwatchable.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (1,337 customer reviews)
 (1,142)