Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Airprint and Cloud print under $80, September 27, 2013
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG3520 WH Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Setup
Like many WIFI enabled devices these days, I was hoping to get this printer ready without a computer or avoiding inserting software CD in my computer. However, since my network was hidden, I had to use my computer; otherwise, setting up would not have required computer assistance. I was able to setup the printer on my iPad or iPhone via pixma app. Unfortunately, again, since my home network was hidden, I wasn't able to connect to my WIFI.
So I ended up connecting the printer via USB (cable is not included in the box) and from the canon printer utility application; installation was easy to setup, and I was able to connect to my WIFI. Once the printer was connected, I was able to change settings and update the latest firmware via Bonjour page (Safari bookmark) on my Mac. The firmware update was easy and quick, and the whole setup process took about 15 minutes.

Printing a grey scale document took about 20 seconds, and the document seemed to print lighter than `normal'. After about ten pages of document printing, the texts got darker. Colored document took 34 seconds, and the documents looked pretty good. The nice feature when printing documents is that the printer can do double side printing without flipping the paper, so it's very convenient. However, I couldn't print draft (economy) mode (to save some ink), and I only had the option for standard and best. Not having the draft mode is disappointing.
Printing photos from photoshop and mobile devices worked fine as well. Despite the lack of options for paper choices and what not, straight default printing from photoshop looked nice actually. I tested both stock semi glossy paper and glossy paper, and it printed without any problem even without selecting the paper options (There's only `photo paper' for photo printing).
Also, printing straight from my phone and tablet worked well. I tried both Airprint from photo app and the Pixma Print app, and the result seemed identical. Airprint almost has no option for printing, and it prints well. It's resourceful for quick and easy printing, but the Pixma Print from Canon has a few more options and also does a good job. Now, printing from the phone might be quick and easy, yet it might not be the best quality. A quick 4x6 photo would print well.

Copy / Scan
There are set of buttons for b/w and color copy on the side of the printer, and making a copy is just as simple as pressing one of those buttons. Printing a black and white copy took 20 seconds, and came out slightly lighter than original document. Printing a color copy took 30 seconds, and again it came out slightly lighter than the original one.
Scanning from the Canon app worked seamlessly and took about 15 seconds for a full page document. Then I had saving options for scanned JPG/PDF file to store in iCloud, email, and open other apps like ibooks and dropbox. Also, scanning from the Print & Scan on the Mac worked fine.

Overall, this is a decent printer for average home use or for college students. Nowadays, we might print less and use more electronic documents through tablets and smartphones, but from time to time there's an occasion we have to scan and copy physical documents and photos. This printer serves well for that occasional use and purpose, and yet this printer is one of the `affordable' and smartest ones by supporting Apple's Airprint and Google's Cloud Print feature. There are really cheap ones without WIFI support, but I think it's definitely worth getting a WIFI printer for the sake of convenience as it is location free.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2013 7:34:16 AM PST
You consider yourself a WIFI enabled device?

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 4:30:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2013 4:33:40 PM PST
Daniel says:
Just to note, it is possible to set the printer up without installing any software, you just need to enable WPS on your router long enough to connect the printer to your network; it's not the most intuitive way of doing things, but it's great if the only computer you have access to is a Chromebook. Once you've got a connection, hold down the "stop" button on the printer until the alert light flashes 15 times, and it will print out the network information, from there, you can access the printer's web interface by typing its IP address into a browser, then fix your settings (add DNS servers, change to a static IP address, etc.) and turn off WPS on the router.

[EDIT] To connect the printer via WPS, you have to press and hold the WPS button on the router _while_ you press the WPS button on top of the printer... so the two have to be close enough to press both buttons simultaneously, or you'll need two people.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2014 4:31:50 PM PST
Katherine says:
Could you explain this bit:
"then fix your settings (add DNS servers, change to a static IP address, etc.) and turn off WPS on the router."

I am considering buying this printer for my chromebook.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2014 12:15:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2014 12:19:51 AM PST
Daniel says:
No problem :)

The printer won't be able to connect to the internet without the DNS servers, so if you want to use it with Cloud Print, you need to enter them. I'm not near the printer right now, so I can't tell you exactly how to find the page, but it's one of the options in the web interface.

You can use Google's DNS servers, which are: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, or you could use OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, or even the servers that are used by your router. It's probably a good idea for you to Google OpenDNS and Google DNS servers before taking my word, but they are very easy to find and free to use.

WPS is "Wi-Fi Protected Setup", and it isn't secure. If you leave it enabled, it's possible for someone to gain access to your router via wi-fi, even if you're using WPA to encrypt your data. Google "WPS vulnerable", and you'll get lots of info. It's okay to turn it on briefly, as an attacker needs to be within wi-fi range of your router to gain access, just don't leave it turned on.

ALSO, I would enter a static IP Address for the printer, this is an address that is in your router's subnet. Look at the IP Address of other computers in your network to see what the range looks like. Most routers will be 192.168.1.X, or 172.16.0.X, and the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0. Pick an address that's not being used, and is easy to remember. I used 192.168.1.128 for my aunt's.

EDIT, I purchased this printer for my 65 year old aunt who is using it with a Chromebook, and she loves it.

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 10:26:42 AM PST
A friend gave this printer to me and I can't figure out how to print letter size on glossy settings. Does this only print glossy on 4x6? When I select glossy and letter I get a media error telling me to change my paper size or media. No trouble printing with exactly the same settings but using plain paper.
Thanks for your help!

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 6:33:06 PM PST
Charlie says:
I appreciate your comment about it being unable to print drafts--that is definitely good to know.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›