5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for a good product, March 23, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P46S30 46-Inch 1080p 600 Hz Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
This item arrived 8 days after order (2 days early)and the delivery driver helped me unbpack, which took about 5 minutes. Set up was straight forward and easy and took about 10 minutes. There are only 3 HDMI connections, (2 in back and one on the side) but there are component connections for an additional HD source. If you use both a satellite or cable AND over the air antenna (I do) you will need to go back to the menu after initial setup to scan OTA channels as the first time set up only gives you the "either/or" option. There is NO RGB connection on the TV so a computer will have to be connected via HDMI or with an RGB-HDMI/componant adaptor.

Network setup was easy and went without a hitch. I have a wireless bridge which connects to the TV via ethernet cable so didn't need to deal with wireless set up but I suspect it was pretty simple as well, depending on your wireless router and existing network. Internet apps are somewhat limited to the major players like Netflix, Pandora,CinemaNow, etc. and there was no indication that Panasonic will be adding more in the future. DLNA was an important feature to me and this is the first mid-priced model that Panasonic has offerred with it that I could find. The TV immediately recognized my network and after a little familiarization with the interface I was able to play 99 percent of my network media files. I did note that the program files the songs within the albums alphabetically, not in their original album order but this is more an issue of my media server then the TV. File access through Windows Media Player seems to correct this. There is also an SD card slot and media player app but I didn't try this function

The pre-set picture settings take some getting used to as each is designed for different physical environments and you can spend a lot of time trying to decide which one suits you. There is also an option to create your own picture quality setting. I was initially a little dissapointed with the OTA high def picture as it appeared pixelated with rough edges. However this was in a bright environment during daytime hours when digital OTA signals from the broadcasters can be of lower quality . Stronger signal stations didn't seem to have the issue nor did the satellite channels. Night time viewing was awsome and I was quite impressed with the picture quality. I am no audiophile but connecting the digital optical out from the TV to my receiver provided excellent digital sound quality through my system.

Internet app access is a single button push from the remote and the interface is easy to navigate using L-R arrow buttons. I watched programming from Netflix and had no buffering issues with a connection speed at about 1.3mbps. The SD picture was very good and appeared about as close as you can get to HD at SD speeds.

At this point I have experienced no problems or issues and am very happy with this TV. I would reccomend it to folks interested in an alternative to higher priced LCD TVs of similar size and who aren't sold on 3D yet. It also appears to work well for internet feature access at limited connection speeds.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2011 5:52:18 PM PDT
Shofixti says:
Nice review! Have one question: are you able to stream YouTube on this HDTV? I can't find a definitive yes/no on this... thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 6:09:40 PM PDT
msn says:
Thanks. I just checked the apps that are available on the TV and YouTUbe isn't one of them. When I was researching Panasonic seemed to have the least number of available apps but they claimed that the list was growing. They also said that not all apps were available in all areas so it might be in other areas. You might try calling Panasonic customer service and ask them. I called a couple times before I bought and they were pretty helpful and there wasn't a huge wait time.

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 2:58:29 PM PDT
RV says:
Thank you for the insightful review. Question about delivery: Were you able to coordinate a drop off time with the delivery carrier? I have not ordered a television from Amazon before so I'm not sure how they do that. I live in an apartment so delivery would be tricky. Thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 4:36:27 PM PDT
msn says:
Thanks. Glad it was helpful. Big items from Amazon usually come in a freight truck from a hub city. I got a couple of emails from the trucking company to arrange the date and time and they had me call them to confirm. They wanted about a 2 hour window. Then the driver called me when he was on his way, about an hour out just to make sure I was home. I'm in Oregon and the delivery guy was supposed to get it in my door for me so he was real glad I was there to help HIM. He delivered it in a 30 ft semi and because I live on a narrow country road, he had a challenge getting turned around but it all worked out. The trucking company folks were very nice, accomodating, and pretty communicative through out the process.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 11:46:32 AM PDT
G. Shkembi says:
Hi thanks again for the review. One question; did the wireless USB adapter come with the TV or do you have to buy it separately?

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 12:22:13 PM PDT
msn says:
The USB adaptor is a seperate purchase for about 80 dollars. Fortunately, I didn't have to get one as I have a wireless bridge set up near the TV. I was able to plug the tv into the bridge via ethernet cable which gave me a "virtual" wired connection. I also have my blu-ray player and satellite receiver connected to it and it works like a charm. The bridge is a D-Link DAP-1522 that I paid about the same as the Panasonic wireless dongle. If you have wireless network already established and have some network understanding, the bridge is a fairly easy solution to connecting media components.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (349 customer reviews)

Out of stock