Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

An Amazon.com official commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Latest version is working better for me..., December 12, 2011
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (App)
3rd update - March 29 2015

So here I am again, updating this review. The WSJ app has gone through lots of changes in the past three years, and I have changed my rating several times since this review gets read a lot.

For a long-time in 2014, I stopped using the WSJ app on my Kindle entirely because it would either crash repeatedly or refused to keep me logged in (every time I accessed the app, I would have to re-enter my credentials). The lackadaisical WSJ customer service people would answer my queries by saying, "Yeah, we know," but never commit to doing anything. But -- I checked in again recently and it now seems to be fixed. There are a couple of other nice features to the app, it's the best version of their app (yet).

Not yet a five-star rating because, given my mixed history with the app, who knows what their next version will bring...

2nd update - March 31 2012

Uggh. This app keeps getting updated, so I keep having to update my review. First it was terrible. Then it got better. Then today when I tried to use the app I got a pop-up message saying I had to update the app. OK, just a couple of taps and it's updated, right?

Wrong. App wouldn't update; I had to delete the previous installation and re-install. Now the new app won't let me log in, and after many attempts (and re-verifying all of my account information online), I'm blocked from using it. I do get an error message inviting me to call a phone number for help...but it's after hours and there is nobody answering the phone.

Yuck. No quality control, bad design, poor execution. Amateur hour.

Review update - late Jan., 2012

I gave this product a one-star review about two weeks after I installed it on my Kindle Fire, mainly because it was buggy and crashed all the time; since this review has gotten a lot of votes and a number of comments, I'm leaving the original text, below. However, the publisher left a comment here saying they had updated the software so I downloaded the updated version and, for me, it is *much* better. Now it behaves like a news app should -- it grabs all the content from the latest edition, and then allows you to access it relatively smoothly. I've made it through most of an entire edition of the newspaper, and it didn't crash at all.

Still have I some quibbles:
- At the sign on screen, it tells subscribers that their "screen name" is their email address. For me it's still the screen name that I've had on my WSJ account for many years.
- This app doesn't seem to sync with my WSJ account to reflect any of my existing account settings. For example, as soon as I log on, why can't it populate the app with the portfolios of stock that I am watching already on the online account? The WSJ has started to personalize my online experience based on my reading habits; I wish some of that carried through to the app as well.
- While it doesn't freeze and crash like the first release, it can still be a little slow - it hesitates a bit when you swipe the screen to turn a page or hit a headline to call up a story. It isn't terrible - just not best in class yet.

All in all, a great improvement over the initial release. I'd definitely recommend that existing subscribers give this a try.

=================================

Below - Original review - early Dec. 2011

This is a great app when it's working, but I uninstalled this after 10 days of use because it was too buggy. This app locks, freezes, and crashes (even when my other apps or general web browsing on my Kindle fire is working fine.) For awhile, I ignored the crashing, because I liked the app when it was working, but I finally realized I was wasting 5 or 10 minutes every time I looked at the paper just starting and re-starting the app when it crashed.

Some other cautions:

- This is a "dumbed down" version of the Journal; there is lots of content available in the online version not available on this app.

- The "watchlist" for stocks on the welcome screen is a little odd -- it shows stock prices, but no link for news. Practically any other app or other portfolio watcher I can think of allows one to quickly go from getting a stock price to recent news on the stock in question.

- It seems to update much later than the actual Journal website. You can see most of tomorrow's paper online late at night...but the app itself seems to update much later than the website.

Also, I found it difficult to log on at first. The welcome screen kept asking for my email to log on; I couldn't get it to work until I entered my "screen name," which is different (I had to log onto a computer to figure this out).

This app has potential. But first and foremost a newsreader app should download the content and then be stable so you can easily and simply browse through the content.

I feel as if I gave this app a very fair trial, and it failed.

stem
An Amazon.com official commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 30, 2012 4:48:53 PM PST
There is an updated version of The Wall Street Journal available that improves performance and stability. To ensure you're using the latest version, on your Kindle Fire, go to Apps, tap "Store" in the top right, tap the Menu icon on the bottom bar, and tap "My Apps." Select "Update Available." If The Wall Street Journal is listed, tap "Update."

If you still have performance issues, tap the Settings icon (in the top right). Tap "More," and then tap "Applications." Choose "Third Party Applications" on the drop-down menu. Tap "WSJ" and then tap "Clear Data".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2012 6:16:41 AM PST
steph says:
I tried to get this to work on my Kindle Fire and gave up. I have a slow Internet connection, and this App is impossible in this situation.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 3:19:56 PM PST
SRC says:
This A would be great if it did not constanly crash. Good concept - basically the same as the iPad application. That said, the Fire version is so buggy that it constantly crashes. Very frustrating trying to use it. Sure hope they can come out with a version 2 that works.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 10:43:52 AM PST
JimPuerto says:
I couldn't agree more, especially with your comments regarding the waste of your time. It is far easier to just use my computer...kind of a "duh" realization after a few weeks of messing with this terrible implementation of the Journal. I note they have updated the version for the Ipad (I have an Ipad, also), which I just downloaded. Will report back if that is more functional, as it also was buggy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 10:00:03 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 30, 2012 7:11:25 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 10:03:27 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 30, 2012 7:11:25 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 9:52:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 9:54:41 PM PST
Thanks for adding your comment here -- I just downloaded the updated version and it's much better. I have updated my rating and my review and just submitted it -- hopefully my updated review will be posted soon.

I would definitely recommend that everyone who was disappointed with v.1 should give this another try - it's not crashing on my machine any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 9:26:58 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 30, 2012 7:11:32 AM PST]

An Amazon.com official commented on this review   (What's this?)
Posted on Jan 30, 2012 4:48:53 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 5:15:20 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 31, 2012 2:38:53 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 3:15:04 PM PDT
There's been a new version released since you left this comment. As my review above suggests, the update presented its own problems; required a complete deletion of the app, re-installation, and lots of fiddling to make it work. I finally had to re-authenticate my WSJ account on my PC and then re-register and re-authenticate my password on Kindle Fire to get it to work.

Maybe you could ask the WSJ people to do some QC on their new releases...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›