5.0 out of 5 stars This Tab Pro 10.1 is amazingly fast, with super vivid screen and I rate it at 4.5 stars, a detailed review follows..., February 14, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 Tablet (White) (Personal Computers)
UPDATED REVIEW 11/13/14 - Since February, 2014, I have been using this Pro and am very impressed with it for several reasons. Keep in mind that this is a high end tablet meant for one who wants a very high screen resolution and has excellent specs on a WiFi only tablet. The performance I found peppy, the screen is just amazing in clarity and readability! Kit Kat is great but soon Lollipop OS is coming soon to this device as well as to Tab 4 line, Tab S line, S4, S5 and more. Nexus and Moto G and Moto X are already receiving the OTA (Over the Air) update. Before you receive the OS Lollipop, you may receive ONE MORE update to ready the tablet for the update.

First I list the PROS, which are wonderful, however, I give this 4.5 stars because there are some Cons that I want you to consider BEFORE you decide to purchase this or not...

PROS/SPECIAL FEATURES ON THE TAB PRO 10.1:

+ Screen Resolution/Weight/Size etc - The first thing I noticed is that side by side the screen spec are so so much better on this then previous Tab 2 and Tab 3. This model has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 (with 299 PPI-Pixels per inch) vs the older Tab 2 10.1 and Tab 3 10.1 had 800x1280 (with 149 PPI-Pixels per inch). Therefore, this model has DOUBLE the resolution of the older TAB line! Result: It is that much clearer and vivid screen with truly amazing clarity.

+ Speed/Extra Memory - To check out how fast my apps opened and websites etc, I placed my Tab Pro next to my older Tab 2 and my Tab 3 8.0, the Pro was faster to load websites, faster to open apps etc. The memory in the Pro is 2GB of RAM vs the Tab 2 and 3 in the 10.1 the RAM is 1GB (it is 1.5GB on the Tab 3 8.0). So I am finding that this extra memory has made a difference in speed in my opinion.

+ Speed of this unit / Memory etc (and special testing of speed) - This tablet has more memory and is MUCH faster than my other tablets. So I performed a tests today using my: Tab Pro 10.1, Tab 3 8.0 and Tab 2 10.1 (all WiFi only tablets. Results: I found that my Tab Pro 10.1 runs faster than my older Tab 2 10.1 does (with 4.2.2). **To better gauge the speed, I opened the same apps, etc using this tablet, Tab 3 8.0 and Tab 2 10.1 - This one opened apps, webpages and more so much faster than my other tablets!

+ Ability to turn off the apps I did not want (helped my battery life). Did an actual test today to see if this made a difference and it did. After I safely turned off the apps that are safe to turn off, I now have more free memory and my battery life per hour has increased. So I documented this. If you have any questions about this, please ask in the comment section. Just a little tweak like this can really make a difference in battery lasting longer and better control over the memory etc.

+ WiFi Connecting/Speed of WiFi and MORE - This tablet connects very quickly to my home WiFi and has never ever dropped the WIFi signal no matter where I am in my home. WiFi is OK in this device and does work very well, however, it is not as strong of a WiFi signal as SOME my other WiFi devices that I own presently. When I move closer to the router, it shows 4.5 to 5 bars, which is very good to excellent.
*** To test the speed and strength of this WiFi and compare it to my other Android devices, I went to the Playstore and got the free app called WiFi Analyzer. This is a MUST HAVE app for any Android device as it gives you a visual report on the WiFi strength of your tablet, phone etc.
****Do you need to know how to get on the internet when you are out of a WiFi range? Ask me about this as I have written an article on how to do this using a MiFi type of service from different service providers (please ask in the comment section for more info).

+ SPECIAL INFO about INTERNET CONNECTION - Yes, this is a WiFi only, but when you are away from an WiFi internet hotspot location, there are ways to can get onto the internet such as MiFi and there are ways that you can purchase equipment so that you can have data when you do not have a WiFi hotspot available.

+ Internet & Webpage & Video Viewing - The stock browser does a great job, however, I use Maxthon Browser and installed archived flash so I have great internet flash video viewing results and it renders webpages quite fast for me. And I suggest the free app called Pocket from the Playstore so you can read internet articles later offline.

+ EXTERNAL SLOT FOR MICRO SD CARD up to 64GB - This is no real change over the Tab 3 line, but still it is a must for me as I keep my personal files, photos, and music on my internal SD card. Note that this was one of the deciding factors that sold me on this tablet.

+ Camera / Video Camera - The front camera is now 8MP which is much better than then older Tab 2 and Tab 3 lines. And I took pictures inside and outside and they came out very SHARP and VERY CLEAR! So I am impressed with the camera!
And I took some videos inside and outside to test this and they are much clearer and better resolution than on my Tab 2 tablet.

+ Home Videos - The stock video player is OK and plays MOST home videos, however, may I suggest QQ Player (Free App from Playstore and the ONLY one I recommend as it plays every home video I tried).

+ Reading/Creating/Editing Word, Excel, Text Files and much more on this tablet: This comes with a So So Office app (viewer) for reading Office documents, however, I STILL prefer Kingsoft Office which is a free app from Playstore. It is the best I have ever tried and I am very picky about so called Office programs. It is very compatible with MS Office as it reads, edits and creates Office files and reads PDF files, and it has more features of any other Android Office program that I tried. This app is a MUST have for tablet owners in my opinion.

+ Music Player/Sound Quality - Stock player has clear sound through the outside "speakers" and very clear using headphones. To sync easily with Windows Media Player may I suggest the Playstore app free) WinAmp for the tablet as it is very highly rated and the sound is good, but I use a very high quality Bluetooth speaker for great sound! Suggestions: The best way to really enjoy music is through a high quality Bluetooth speaker or Bluetooth headset as the sound quality is superb this way and you can walk about your home listening to your music!

+ Battery Life- Since I have done a few tweaks on this tablet, now I have found that my battery life is better than the first and even the second day. In fact, the battery life now I find that when I use WiFi just when I need it, I now get about 6 to 8 hours with it(this reflects 100 percent brightness however). Still this is better than I received on my older Tab 2, so I am happy.
***Where battery life is concerned: To make your battery last as long as possible is to be sure to turn off BLUETOOTH AND WIFI when you do not need these. Both are these are memory hogs! Also, I turn off my GPS and even SYNC sometimes to conserve battery and then turn them on later.

+ OTG USB Compatible - You can add an optional OTG (On the Go adapter cable to the Micro port for copying files to your flash drive and from your flash drive to the Tab Pro). You can also plug in a mouse, I tried it and it worked. *Note that portable external hard drives and portable DVD/CD drives will not work using OTG in the Tab Pro because these both require a lot of power to be compatible with the Tab Pro and most tablets that have the OTG. However, it is still good to know that you can easily plug in your flash drive and copy files to the Tab Pro and from Tab Pro to PC--what a time-saver. I have written an article on OTG and how to use it, just request this in the comments.

+ Bluetooth Speed and Performance - The Bluetooth keyboard I own (generic OKA) paired quickly with several devices and copied files at a great rate of speed. Speaking of Bluetooth: Also there will be Bluetooth keyboards out for the Tab Pro coming soon. (Just make sure you purchase one for JUST THE TAB Pro 10.1 size).

+ Lighter Weight - This is very light and easy to carry, the weigh is just about the same as iPad Air.

CONS:

- No support for Flash Videos - Adobe does not support flash any longer in any brand of Android tablet these days. This non support is for all Android tablets, not just Samsung tablets. Even if downloaded, the archived Adobe Flash is very outdated for any Android tablet with an OS of 4.2 or higher, it is really just too old and sluggish and difficult to make it work.
I use Playstore apps as YouTube, Netflix, CBS.COM and more and open up the app instead of going to the browser to watch videos that I want to. They play fine in an APP rather than in a Browser.

******* Need a tablet with 3G/Phone and Data that cost less than the Pro? There is the Tab 3 10.1 with 3G and a phone and data in it the P5200 model in white or brown. The P5200 Tab 3 10.1 is 90 dollars less than this Pro and you can make phone calls with it, use your data plan as it accepts an activated GSM Micro Sim card. Having a tablet with phone and data capabilities I have found are great, especially when you cannot find a WiFi hotspot when traveling!

If you have questions about this tablet, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have through the comment section.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 123 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2014 8:08:02 AM PST
Alibaba says:
Thanks for the in depth review. I'm a first time tablet buyer. I want to use it for school and on the job. I need to be able to open my documents (Microsoft word, excel, publisher, PDF etc) edit them and reopen later on my home PC. So my questions are?

1. Is there going to be a problem with document editing and transfer at all (I note you prefer Kingsoft Office)
2. Is this the best tab for a student/on the go employee needing to access websites for on the spot case management?
3. Should I consider the Galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2014 8:32:53 AM PST
Alibaba and All Readers:

Re: Your questions on the Tab Pro and Galaxy Note 10.1 and Kingsoft Office

1) Kingsoft Office - Well I have tried every type of Office for Android and always return to Kingsoft Office. Did you know that Kingsoft also makes a FREE Kingsoft Office download for a Windows PC as well? Yes, it is free and I have used it. Both of the Kingsoft Offices are 100 percent compatible with Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
And you can edit existing documents, create new ones and also read PDF documents (but I prefer the new updated Adobe Reader to read PDF files on my tablet). If you go to www.kingsoft.com you can download on your Windows PC the free Kingsoft Office (it does everything but envelopes and labels I have found).

2) Accessing websites: Tab Pro vs Note 10.1 2014 - No differences in accessing websites. Either one is effective, your browser is what determines this. Personally, I prefer Puffin Paid browser 3 dollars if I watch Flash but it hogs up the memory and the battery.
A easy to use browser I find is Maxthon or Boat Browser.

3) The Note has the big advanantage in that is has a built in stylus and several S pen writing apps so you can easily take notes by hand.
This is why I suggest the Note 10.1 2014 to you over the Tab Pro and also because the Note 10.1 does have more memory.
There have been some reports of the Note 10.1 2014 being laggy at times, however, I have seen some reports of the Tab Pro being laggy at times.
Did I find the Pro laggy? No, it works well and it is very responsive.

What you may want to do is this: Read some of the positive reviews and some of the negative ones on both the Pro and the Note and see what the PROS and CONS are. You want to feel comfortable that your choice in either one is the best choice for you that will meet your needs.

Also, once you decide on the exact tablet that you prefer and plan on purchase be sure to order a case/stand (with or without a Bluetooth keyboard). If you plan on typing a lot and want the tablet to serve you like a mini laptop, then I suggest that you type in the searchbox on Amazon one of these with a Bluetooth keyboard. Type in Tab Pro 10.1 Bluetooth Keyboard (if you decide on this one) or Type in Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Bluetooth keyboard.'
These keyboards come with a cover/stand and fold up for easy placement in a backpack or tote bag. Perfect for the student or office worker etc.

Thanks for the questions. Let me know if you have any more questions via this comment section.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2014 3:30:52 PM PST
Alibaba says:
Thanks for the very quick reply. I have read the reviews and some people are quite adamant in their hate for the Note 10.1 saying it is laggy, didn't work, defective, etc. While others love it. Most folks seem to like the tab Pro 10.1 but think that some apps and the gallery move slowly. I know techs can be hit or miss - getting a defective product is a chance, but some folks comment on getting two with the same faults. Hmmm

Another question: You named a few browsers that I am not familiar with at all. What about good ole Google Chrome?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2014 3:46:13 PM PST
Alibaba and Other Readers of this Discussion:

Re: Tab Pro 10.1 vs Note 10.1 2014

In answers to your concerns about the Note 2014 and the Tab Pro. Both have LOTS of apps running in the background. And each one can run laggy at times when so many background things are running. This also causes the battery to not last as long as it could (in both devices). I have written a small article on How To Safely Turn Off Apps to Save Memory and Battery, if you like I can send it to this discussion.

When I turned off a few running apps and did a few tweaks on my Pro, I noticed that it ran faster and the battery lasted somewhat longer.
This does not perform miracles, but it did help me to get better battery, which is very important to me.

Browsers: You did not specify what you want to do in a browser. There are three kinds: 1) Fast and Basic as Boat Mini or Opera Mina (use little memory or battery compared to others 2) Fanciest and allows Flash (if you install Archived Adobe Flash) Puffin Paid (this browser I use the least because it uses up the battery so quickly and will cause lagginess). 3) Best all around browsers I find are: Maxthon Browser, FoxFire Beta 4) Chrome is good, but I have used Maxthon for years and prefer that one to all of the rest, this is just my personal preference.

****One more thing that I will suggest to look into that cost wise in my opinion is a BEST BUY- If you can do without all the bells and whisles, than I will suggest the Tab 3 10.1 (WiFi or the one with 3G). I also own this one and the specs are lower however, the screen is vibrant, colorful and I get good battery life. I own the one with the 3G that has a phone in it and 3G to 3G+ Data.

Buying a tablet is a huge decision. One thing to consider is this:
Are you going to be near WiFi most of the time? Or do you need a tablet that has a SIM SLOT so you can add a small data plan to it when you are not near WiFi?

The main advantages of this tablet and the Note 2014 is the fact that the screen resolution is SUPERB and so sharp and clear. Also keep in mind that the Note 2014 has more features and more memory. This is something to consider as well.

If you decide later you want to install Archived Flash to watch videos, let me know, as I wrote an article on this as well.

Daisy

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2014 10:42:52 AM PDT
Thanks so much Daisy.

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 8:35:12 PM PDT
I haven't bought a tablet yet, but need something portable for work. I like what you wrote about the Tab Pro 10.1. I had a PC and viruses, so I switched to 13" MacBook years ago. I'm ready for a PC, not crazy about Apple anymore.

Will the Kingsoft Office convert my Mac Word and Excel files to the Pro 10.1? Will I be able to read my Mac PDF's on a Tab Pro 10.1?

What virus protection do you use? On PC I had a free one. I wasn't crazy about Norton or McAfee.

I'd like your articles on how to safely turn off apps and the one on archived Flash, if you could send them to me.

I really appreciate all you wrote, very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 9:17:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2014 9:33:30 PM PDT
MK Seymour and All Readers of this comment section:

Re: Word compatibility with Mac, Windows and Android Office Programs (Kingsoft Office), Virus Protection that I suggest, How to Safely Turn Off Apps, Archived Flash and more...

1) All MS Office Files (and compatible MS Office files as Open Office etc that deal with Doc or Docx) including ones created in the Mac or Windows based etc are fully compatible with ANY app or program that is MS Office Compatible. So this should not be a problem at all. And I highly recommend this. You will be able to open your files that you created in Excel, PowerPoint as well. In addition, Kingsoft Office has a viewer for PDF files, which is OK, however, I prefer Adobe PDF Reader (free from the Playstore to read PDF files).
**Also if you are going to travel, and want to use your Pro tablet more like a replacement laptop, then a Bluetooth Keyboard is a MUST PURCHASE. There are two kinds of Bluetooth Keyboards for this tablet:
1) A combo Bluetooth Keyboard/Case/Stand - These are wonderful because they pack and go and you can travel with your lightweight Pro with ease.
2) A regular Bluetooth Keyboard/Stand (prop). I own the OXO Bluetooth Keyboard and the Pro fits into this perfectly. Both are slim so I place them both into a 10 inch laptop zippered sleeve (fits tightly) or you can also use a 12 inch laptop zipped sleeve (get one with an outside pocket to hold flash drives, and your charger).

2) Virus Protection - The ONLY one that I personally recommend (as I use it on my Windows PC and on the tablet) is called AVG Anti Virus

And I prefer the regular version and NOT the tablet version as it has better review scores of 4.4. This is free just as AVG offers it's PC counterpart free.

Yes, I have MANY articles that I have written as each time a tablet or phone upgrades to a new edition, I write an article for that particular device. So I will send a couple in this next post, however, if you want more of my articles, please email me at askdaisytech@gmail.com and I will send them to you in Word format (doc). Be sure to specify which device as I receive emails daily for requests for my articles. Also, I can send you a list of them so you can have the articles that you wish. Some of the articles I have written:

+ How To Safely Turn Off Unwanted Apps To Save Battery and Memory
+ Best 18 Apps For Your Device
+ How to Copy Files to Your Tablet
+ How To Install Archived Adobe Archived Flash To Watch Flash Videos (This includes the best proper browsers for flash).
+ Suggested Accessories For Tab Pro 10.1

If any of the readers here would like one of my articles, you can email me and let me know the ones that you wish.

Many regards to all!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 9:28:42 PM PDT
MK Seymour and ALL:

Re: How to Install Adobe Archived Flash/Videos Etc (and this is the newest of the Archived Adobe Flash for Android).

Print this as it is VERY DETAILED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS...

Although there is only archived Adobe Flash, it will still work on tablets with Android 4.0 and higher IF you follow my instructions to the letter. Also, I watch on Amazon Videos in full screen, most online videos that require Flash. Keep in mind that the videos will play but will take a little longer to open. *Know that Adobe does not support Flash in Android anymore and you will be downloading and also installing a older flash. Therefore, it is not guaranteed that on every site that every video will play. This is where Puffin Browser (paid) comes it. Puffin has special features in the browser that enhance the video watching experience so in my opinion it is worth the 2.99 paid for it from the Google Playstore.

TAB PRO - Tab Pro has 4.2 OS the Android Kit Kat and some things have changed I have noticed! First of all I installed the Adobe Archived Flash onto my new Tab Pro just fine. However, I could just find ONE BROWSER that would play Archived Adobe Flash in most websites including Amazon Videos. The ONLY one for FLASH watching that I recommend to you is called Puffin Browser (paid one for 3.99) from the Google Playstore. You will need to have your Adobe Flash installed BEFORE you purchase Puffin. Puffin is a very intense and heavy duty browser dedicated to making Flash video watching possible. However, it does use a lot of memory and battery! So my advice to you is to use one of these when you want to conserve battery: Maxthon Browser (the regular one, not the tablet one), Boat Browser (Mini or Regular), Opera, or FoxFire (although FoxFire does use a lot of memory as well). If you have trouble playing a video, go to the Settings in browser and be sure that you enable all plug-ins and FLASH ALWAYS ON.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Please watch this older video on YouTube so you can "see" how to setup Archived Adobe Flash:

2) Before going to the link for archived flash, open your device Settings, then tap Security and make sure that you CHECKMARK this: Unknown sources. This way you can install apps and other programs you want DIRECTLY from the internet browser directly on the tablet.
3) Now you can install flash directly from your browser onto the tablet. (And install it directly into your Browser).
4) To install archived flash, go to this link in your tablet's browser:

5) Go to close to the bottom of the page and you will see this:
Flash Player for Android 4.0 archives

6) Next, choose this archived player for your tablet:

Flash Player 11.1 for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.81)

This link will bring you directly to the install page and then it ask you do you want to INSTALL press INSTALL. Then it will install the archive Flash Player 11.1 for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.69) on your tablet.
**Make sure that you press INSTALL and SEE it installing so that you will know that it installed OK. You can see the progress of the install in the Notifications Area (bottom right) of the tablet.
How will you know if it is installed? Go to SETTINGS, APPLICATIONS/DOWNLOADS - Adobe Flash should be at the top of the list if you installed it correctly.

7) Next go to a webpage that has videos that play in flash and they should play (may take several seconds to load). **When you see the video you want to watch, press the GREEN DOWN ARROW in the middle of the video (if the video does not start right away).
**Next, double press with your finger the video so that it will play in full screen.
**It is NORMAL for any video to take what seems like a long time to open and begin to play. Why? Because you are using an older flash and it is slower and takes longer to open up a video. (However, I am thankful to watch them and used to them taking what seems like a long time to open).
* I have watched many types videos using the FoxFire Beta Browser (in desktop mode) or the Internet Browser on your tablet already (yes, even Amazon Instant Videos, which are harder to watch, should now work. Because this is an older Flash, but good news, it is the "newest" archived flash and the best Adobe Archived Flash; I update all the time to get the best new/old one!

**The newest Archived Adobe Flash works for playing music samples, playing Amazon videos and for me every FLASH video or others I tried. ****Note that because it is archived flash not the brand new flash, it SHOULD work on most sites and even for watching movies in full screen, BUT it will be kind of slow to load (slower than say your PC). Just have patience and be glad that it works for Android Tablets and Android Phones if you install the archived flash.

SPECIAL SECTION BY DAISY WITH FAQ and MORE TIPS...

Q) I installed the archived flash according to your instructions and went to FoxFire (Chrome, etc) and it said I did not have Flash installed and would not play my video...why?
A) First, for Tab Pro models, you must install ONLY the PUFFIN Browser (Paid) to watch flash videos. It will not work in other browsers.
Also, you probably downloaded the Adobe Flash File into your MyFiles and Downloads but it was not installed by the tablet's INSTALLER. To see if it is installed as an app do this:
1) Go to Settings, General (at the top tab), Application manager, Downloaded, you will see Adobe Flash Player 11.1 (if you installed the app). If not you will need to go to MyFiles and then look for on the left Device Storage, MxBrowser (or whatever browswer you downloaded the file in). Press that one, you will see Downloads, then you should see flash.

Q) I still cannot get my Flash installed, what can I do now?
A) Contact me at askdaisytech@gmail.com and I will personally send you these instructions and also send you the actual Adobe File so you can press it and your tablet will download it to your apps.
**It will ask you: Would you like to have the Package Installer install this? Answer YES. When it has completed the install, you will be notified in the Notification Area.

How to keep the screen from going to sleep while watching a long video:
1) You can go to the Notifications and Press Smart Stay to keep the screen on as long as you are looking at it - it uses the camera's lens to see you looking at the screen. Smart right? But when you get up and walk away from the screen, all bets are off and then screen turns off. But there is an app for that...

2) For MOVIES/VIDEOS to play without the screen timing out, you will need to install this free app from the Playstore called KeepScreen. Here is the link:

TO WATCH A VIDEO IN FULL SCREEN: Double tap the center of the video (or you can just stretch the video out with your fingers to enlarge it). When you have finished the video, double tap the video again and this should bring you back to regular screen.

****Special Apps you will like that already have a built in player:
1) YouTube (already installed on tablets).
2) TV.COM - Free and you can watch CBS and other network shows FREE and in full screen.
3) Crackle - Free and you can watch older movies and TV Shows.
4) USA TV, Radio - You can watch FREE Streaming Cable TV shows. You will need to get the TVGuide App so you can see what shows are on this.

Please let me know how you do, OK? More questions? Just ask.

Regards,

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 9:36:09 PM PDT
MK and ALL:

RE: Pre-Installed Apps That Are Safe To Turn Off

First, you CANNOT uninstall Factory apps, but there are safe ones that you can safely disable. This will free up your memory and believe it or not, save on the battery because the disabled apps do not run in the background...

To TURN OFF a factory app: Go to Settings, Choose GENERAL tab at the top and go to Application manager. On the right side of the screen move your finger over to ALL. The ALL are ALL of the Apps on your tablet be it factory installed or apps you installed from the Playstore or another App Store.
Go down the list and select each app that you want to turn off, for instance, Flipboard. (This is an app that I do not use and it is safe to turn off - if you want to use it later, go to the Turned Off section find the app and press Turn On.

In Kit Kat before it will let you turn it off, you must uninstall any new updates, then it will turn off the app. It will give you a warning, but say yes anyway. You will get a warning no matter what app you try to TURN OFF, but I know the safe ones to turn off. Here is the list you made and I place either Safe to TURN OFF or NOT RECOMMENDED to turn off. For your own good and your continued enjoyment of this tablet, only turn off the apps I say SAFE to disable. The ones I do not recommend, please do not disable as it could possibly cause the tablet problems. *First, do not disable (turn off) any apps that you are unsure of or may use later. So I am listing the apps that are OK and SAFE to Disable on a tablet and further on on a phone and I also listed some that I disabled safely on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (new phone)...
May I suggest that you disable Chrome Browser as it slows down the phone and HOGS MEMORY and battery! Instead install Boat Mini Browser or Opera Mini Browser (Opera Mini is the FASTEST and uses less battery and less memory).
***Keep in mind that when you safely disable a factory app, if you decide you want to use it later, then just go to Settings, Application manager, ALL and go to the bottom of the list (your disabled apps show up at the bottom of the list and they are not shown in the active apps in the application list). Then find the app you want to ENABLE. Press it and enable. That's it.

Before I give you a list of SAFE TO TURN OFF APPS, here are a couple of APPS that should NOT disable: Most Google Apps (These work together in a sense and are needed to run the device properly. They are there for reasons. So I repeat: Do not disable Google type of Apps.
Good News: Here is a list of Apps you can TURN OFF SAFELY. For me, I did not go hog wild and turn off lots of apps, I turned off APPS I know are safe to turn off and these apps I DO NOT USE. Since I turned these off safely, I will share this with you:

FACTORY APPS YOU CAN TURN OFF (Settings, General, Application manager):

Chrome Browser - I use Maxthon and Puffin, sometimes FoxFire, so I turned off Chrome.
Cisco WebEx Meetings
Flipboard (Memory and battery HOG). OK, Safe to Disable unless you use this.
Google Play Music (I use other music players and Amazon MP3 player). OK, Safe to Disable unless you use this.
Hancom Office (several of these apps - useless to me as I prefer Kingsoft Office where I can create and edit Office Docs. Safe to Disable unless you use this.
MagazineWidget - What a MEMORY Hog! OK, safe to Disable.
Most Games are safe to disable and are OK and Safe to disable.

LIVE TILE/WIDGETS (IF YOU SWIPE THE LEFT OF THE HOME SCREEN, you will see these WIDGETS, these look kind of like the LIVE TILES you see Windows. These widgets are super MEMORY HOGS and SUPER BATTERY HOGS!!! Here is a list of them and how to semi turn them off:
1) Archdaily.com
2) ARTS and Culture Magazine
3) Science and Tech (Forbes Magazine)
4) News
5) Hancom Office
6) Email apps (Widget)
7) Business News Magazine
8) Google Calendar (shows month and the current days appointments). **This cannot be moved from this tiles area.
To move these and stop these, I just dragged them to the top center of my screen's trashcan and they were gone. Now I just have the Google Calendar widget there, wish it would let me remove it and place the Widgets I want to, however, they will let me place the Gallery and music etc, but for now, I am leaving it with just the calendar to save on memory and battery.

***Regarding saving the battery and memory after disabling apps. The memory has improved somewhat and I am happy, yet the battery, much improved for me. After doing this on my Android tablet, I noticed my battery lasted about 35% or more longer in a day. To get this high percentage, I have a list of my battery/memory things I do and they work on the phone and also on the tablet. The best thing is that the phone has more memory to spare and runs faster with this BLOATWARE safely turned off.
You can feel free to turn more off, because you can later turn them back on.
Start slow, please ask me if you are not sure about turning off a factory app. My tablet is running very fast and I am very happy with the tablet's performance more now than the day I received it.

Should you need more suggestions or have questions, please ask. And I hope that you follow my guidelines. If you are in doubt whether an app is safe to disable, please ask me.

Daisy

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 12:52:47 PM PDT
Thank you for the excellent information on this tablet. It is my first time buying one and have only used a friends Apple a few times . I love the convenience of the tablet. I made notes on your suggestion but did not find anything about using the Scan disc 64 GB that Amazon says customers usually purchase with this tablet. Do you think it is needed ? Is it for more memory so it would depend on how I was using the tablet ? Thanks for all your help.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (295 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $269.89
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Daisy "Daisy S"
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 14