5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, just be aware of no component video output, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player (Electronics)
Before I purchased this player, I already owned two other Panasonic Blu-ray players. They are outstanding value and performance.

I bought this model to replace my horrible Pioneer Elite BDP-31FD; got to be one of the worst players in the world. Crashed all the time requiring hard reset, couldn't scan and was sooooo slooooow[...]

In contrast, this Panasonic player is so fast. Just seconds to eject and it's so fast to get to just about any disc menu. Most Blu-rays I have are loaded on the disc menu in less than 30 seconds. Scanning through movies is flawless. There are so many other features it offers, which I'll let you read in the other reviews. The UI is very pleasing. Wireless and wired network connection and firmware updating was so easy (I have "g" with WPA2).

THE ONE THING I did not do my homework well enough on was determining if it had component video out (1080i) for my non-HDMI HD 1080i tv. I prefer digital audio optical out, which this player has, but I did not see in the amazon details whether or not this player had component video out. Unfortunately, I did not see the hyperlink just below the "Product Details" text that shows you this model's specs from Panasonic, which I learned after unboxing that it does not list component video out as being available. I wish amazon would have had a rear-view picture like so many other models do. So, I took a chance that it had component video because my two other Panasonic players both have component video. Sadly, I had to swap out one of my other players (65K model) for this one. JUST BE AWARE of this if you require component video.

All-in-all, an excellent player. I am sold on Panasonic blu-ray players.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2012 1:04:31 PM PDT
As of January 1, 2011 all Blu-ray Disc players made and sold going forward will not be able to pass high definition video (720p, 1080i, or 1080p) via Component Video outputs. This is referred to as the "Analog Sunset" (not be confused with the previous DTV Transition from analog to digital TV broadcasting).

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 3:34:37 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
I need either Component Video out or RCA audio out or, at minimum a miniplug headphone jack to use my Sennheiser Wireless headphones with this, so this was a very valuable review for me.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 9:24:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 7:41:04 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 12:01:49 AM PDT
Can it work with my LG Cinema Screen 55LM8600 tv ? for 3d movies ?

Posted on May 17, 2012 12:24:05 AM PDT
Please take a rear-view picture of the unit and post it for others.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:39:06 PM PDT
hanshad says:
hello, I was planning to get this one for my CRT TV but then saw your comment on "No Component Video out". Are you sure? I did see few you tube videos and other review that showed, it has Video out. Check below link.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:23:54 PM PDT
LowRider2112 says:
I owe people a rear view picture still, but I am 100% positive it does not have component video (the red-green-blue jacks).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:51:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 11:54:35 PM PDT
David K says:
People are confusing component with COMPOSITE. It DOES have composite, which is the most common type of video/audio connectors, and has been around for decades. There RCA connectors: yellow, white, and red. Older TV's have this type of connection, and will work with this player, but this outdated analog connection isn't high-def.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:42:51 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
A video showing the back of this unit including connections is available on the CNET.com review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:05:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 12:23:48 AM PDT
David K says:
So why didn't you provide the link for us? Actually, no need to watch a video. Here's a picture of the unit's rear:

‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›