2.0 out of 5 stars Werewolf has its moments, but bad werewolf effects and generic storyline hold it back...., October 13, 2012
This review is from: Werewolf: The Beast Among Us (Unrated) (Amazon Instant Video)
I decided to blindly stream this on Netflix (available as of 10/13/12) and enjoyed it a bit. A young doctor decides to join a group of hunters to stop a menacing creature that has been terrorizing his village. It has some decent moments, including scares and thrills, but doesn't live up to it's potential.

The story is fairly simple, as I previously summarized. So, it's easy to follow which can be seen as a plus. But, the characters were very generic and have been seen a dozen times in other films; the mysterious yet cool hunter, the smooth yet annoying hunter, the strong yet attractive female hunter, etc. The dialogue is also littered with one liners, I did laugh at the story of the horse with wheels for legs, though. Also, I heard several different English accents, which didn't really make sense to me. The gore and action effects were actually really good. But, the werewolves felt out of place and the transformations were a little lackluster and disappointing. Also, it's not the scariest movie, but it does pack some decent jump-out scares and some thrilling action sequences (not enough of them, though.) The werewolf's identity was predictable, but a certain part of the ending was not; regardless, it is also a bit boring and typical.

Overall, the story and characters are generic/often boring and the effects for the most significant part of the film (the werewolves) were bad. It has been done before and better. If you're a fan of werewolves or monster flicks, you may enjoy this film the most.

Werewolf: The Beast Among Us has strong violence and gore. No sex or nudity.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 4:18:27 PM PST
Bad effects? I beg to differ. First of all, they were an old school/new school blend that worked quite well. Yes, the movie itself lacked zing at times, but what you really wanted, was to see more of the werewolf in action. "Dog Soldiers" really had crappy effects, but the story was great, and made up for the lack of low-budget effects put into it. So I guess it's really how you look at it. Were you entertained? I was, and though not a great film, "Werewolf..." was fun. Being an artist, I know that tons of work went into making the creature "come alive" on the big screen, and by god...I think they did a tremendous job!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:39:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 6:43:36 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Maybe the effects were a bit more underwhelming than bad; personally, I was hoping for something on par with the stunning transformation in "An American Werewolf in London", especially considering the time difference. And something just felt out of place about the werewolves in this film. As for being entertained, I would say I was slightly entertained, but it was simply too similar to previous monster hunting movies; although I haven't seen many, I felt like I've seen this story unfold before. (as I briefly mentioned in my review.)

And I agree, "Dog Soldiers" is an amazing movie, despite it's lower budget effects, mainly because of the thrilling action, the acting, and the atmosphere. However, I remember the effects being better in "Dog Soldiers" than "Werewolf", maybe I should watch these again?

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 10:03:55 PM PST
bernie says:
Excellent review and very helpful. As I watched I kept your review in mind.
I gave you a positive (yes). If it does not show up soon you may ask Amazon why.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (127 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist