5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Manic Panic Raven Black (Health and Beauty)
I've had Manic Panic hair for at least a year now and I cannot stop raving about this product! I've used maybe 6 of their colors and I'll review them all for anyone who's curious :)

Vampire Red - LOVE the potency of this color. I had light brown hair and without bleaching it I have bright as day blood red hair. It's awesome! The downside for this color is since it is red, it will fade faster than other colors. Any sort of red hair requires constant upkeep, but it is worth it!

Raven - One of my favorites! Unlike most of Manic Panic's colors it does not fade to a weird shade other than black, it's black for a super long time and will NOT run in the shower.

Rock N Roll Red - Good, but not the best. Gives more of an orangey tint to the hair, whereas Vampire Red will fade to a dark pink. Washes out quickly but the biggest downside is the orange tint.

Atomic Turquoise - If you want full affect you Definitely need to bleach, if you don't, brown hair will be more green than blue!

Wildfire - Eh. Not my favorite at all. VERY orange and doesn't stay for very long, not as potent as most of the other reds.

Electric Lizard - AWESOME! Very nice green shade.

Ultraviolet - Good, for a few days. Fades to blue very quickly :/

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 8, 2012 1:42:16 PM PDT
Afton says:
Warning about Raven - If you have naturally blonde hair, or bleached, it will fade to a horrible green color. So, beware.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 4:48:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2013 4:48:43 PM PDT
MW says:
Actually, since Manic Panic has recently changed their Raven Black -- for the worse -- it's not just blonde hair that it turns green, it's ALL hair. It starts out with a very strong dark-green tint right from the beginning, and only gets brighter green as it fades.

I'm not sure what caused Manic Panic to screw up a product I've used and enjoyed for decades, but they should really change it back, so those of us allergic to regular black dyes can start using their product again. As it stands now, I'm looking for a replacement. Walking around with green hair isn't what most folks who buy black dye are aiming for.

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 2:05:14 PM PDT
Diana Bucher says:
Thanks, I think I will try Vampire Red for my Black Widow Halloween costume. It looked way too dark on the swatch at Sally's and she suggested a lighter one. I love that it will fade to pink, too. Thanks for the review!

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 8:31:48 AM PDT
Darzania says:
What the h*ll was Manic Panic thinking??? I used to dye my hair with this consistantly about 3 years ago, and it was a black color with red undertones. This was great because it would fade out to a nice deep burgundy red-black color that did not look freakish. NOW... i bought Raven and it did turn my hair black, but with STRONG swamp-green undertones. I have a feeling that it will fade to a horrible faded green-grey color. I don't know why they changed this color, but I will never buy it again. Heed the warnings below also; if you have hair that is blonde, your hair will turn grey-green (not black!). If you have brown hair, it will be black for a little while, then turn grey green. If you have black hair, I wouldn't use this product at all unless you want green undertones in your hair. When you go into the sun or bright lighting, your hair will glow this gross slime-green color. All around hate my hair now. If I wanted green hair, I'd go for a more pleasing color for sure.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 8:31:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2013 8:32:38 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2013 2:36:05 PM PDT
MW says:
I agree 100%. Anyone else as annoyed as I am by this change that's ruined one of their best products should post on their facebook page and email them, like I did.

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 1:47:49 PM PDT
Jitka says:
I used Raven and ended up having to cut my hair because the horrible green wouldn't come out, even with dye remover. I love all the other colors I've used, though!

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 12:59:00 PM PDT
MW says:

This used to be accurate when this review was written, back in 2011. It no longer is. Manic Panic Raven now goes on with a strong green-blue tint, and will fade very quickly to an ever-increasingly-bright green color. I don't know why they made this change, but it appears to have happened within the past year or two. It's pretty horrible and worthless as a black hair dye, now.

(See comments other than mine below for more perspectives on the green tint.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (524 customer reviews)

$10.08