Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlock the sequence of its success!, July 21, 2006
This review is from: Presence (Audio CD)
Presence was the last, and my least favourite, of the great Led Zeppelin albums, viz. I'm not including Outdoor (more like Outhouse!) or CODA.

Presence was always inaccessible to me for some intangible reason and I rarely played it. I had read interviews with Page years later where he was bemused that no one liked Presence, as he personally liked it.

Following the recent 30th anniversary of the release of Presence, there were a number of music magazine articles I read saying the usual deal about what an under rated & over looked album Presence was.

Being a big fan of Led Zeppelin (especially Page's guitar playing & production) and given they aren't making any new Zeppelin albums, I decided I should "study" Presence more closely.

After revisting it and living with it for a few weeks I realised that a number of the filler tracks were quite good and Tea for One was a hidden gem of blues/rock guitar playing - a kind of latter day Since I've Been Loving You. I also came to the conclusion that the tracks were badly sequenced on the album contributing to its inaccessibility.

My solution has been to notionally resequence Presence, as below, and I personally play the album in that order. It's become a completely different (new!) album to me and I have unlocked the sequence of its success!

"Side One"

1. Achilles Last Stand

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2006 8:41:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2006 8:41:24 PM PDT
G. Blanston says:
Personal re-squencing - an interesting approach to "see" familiar music in a new light.

Posted on Nov 9, 2006 6:46:30 AM PST
johnnyb says:
Thanks for the suggestion! This album has always been hard for me to appreciate. I will try your sequence and see if it makes a difference.

Posted on Mar 8, 2007 7:55:27 PM PST
Very unique and interesting review. Thank's for the re-sequencing tip!

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 11:53:10 AM PDT
Pylon 1 says:
I have always been a big fan of "Presence", despite the panning most fans give it. I must say your track resequencing is ingenius! Starting things out with NFBM is smart, that song rocks and gets you going as you start out your listening adventure, then taking a little break in the middle with some of the lesser dynamic end tracks and finishing it off with the funky Royal Orleans works well. For Your Life, which is one of my personal favorites of Zeppelin alltogether, always kind of reminded me of one of those "b-sides" that turned out to be a great hidden gem, even though in reality that is not the case...it is appropriately positioned as the lead track of side two in your repositioning. Candy Store Rock is complete garbage and would be removed alltogether in my version...I blame that song for giving this great album a bad name, since it was the released single track (never quite figured that out). Ending off with Achilles, once again, ingenius. A great, powerful rock epic to finish it all off.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2009 4:59:10 AM PDT
And even worse, "Candy Store Rock" failed to even chart when released as a single, so there is some truth in to it killing the album before it had a chance.

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 9:47:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2009 9:50:47 AM PDT
No accounting for taste - "Candy Store Rock" is brilliant. Its so different then anything I've ever heard from any other band or even Zep, but its a classic rock n roll tribute. I used to hear it all the time on the jukebox at the "Canteen", my high school burger shop hangout joint. Felt like "Happy Days" on acid. It totally boosted my pinball game. Also, reordering the songs is something I always do with albums, even if they were done well originally. It keeps it alive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 10:47:52 AM PST
YrLic says:
I agree - I love this song and play it often.
It isn't my fave from Zep or anything, but it's got a great groove.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 9:51:08 AM PST
R. blair says:
I don't get why a lot of people trash 2/3 of this album. I think many listeners have high expectations KNOWING this is Zeppelin. I'll bet that if no one knew who the band was they might come away feeling a lot better about the songs. I don't care if it took them 8 months or 4 hours to recoud this album, or if Plant was upside down when he sang it, or Page was stoned or whatever. People read too much into curcumstances and let that guide their judgement. I think ALL the songs stand up quite well. And I agree that Candy Store Rock is a hell of a song. If anyone knows anything about rock history OR Led Zeppelin, than this song would make a hell of a lot of sense to them. It's a homage and a sendup of early Elvis. And the title is a reference to the stores that were once a familiar sight. I wasn't even alive in the fifties but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out, just a brain-dead snobbish ignorant rock fan to completely miss the point of this decent song and album.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 12:19:42 PM PST
runner30 says:
Thanks for the sequence. It helps a lot -- I always liked these songs but leading off with Achilles just turned Presence into kind of a chore, in my opinion. Even when I owned this on vinyl at age 15 I usually put the needle down where Achilles ended. But as the last track, it works better: the others have earned your attention by then.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:58:15 PM PDT
Cam says:
That's a brilliant sequence. Always felt "Achilles' Last Stand" should've ended it. Off to make an iTunes playlist of it now...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›