5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever overall for this subject, September 6, 2011
This review is from: The Low-Starch Diabetes Solution: Six Steps to Optimal Control of Your Adult-Onset (Type 2) Diabetes (Paperback)
First of all, I am a retired doctor who has had diabetes for about 15 yrs. This is the best, clearest, and most realistic book on this subject that I have read. I would say that this doctor's experience mirrors mine except I took longer to get the message. It is good that he doesn't dismiss medication and insulin because some diabetics, like myself, need these things even if we eat zero carbs. Believe me I have tried it and my sugar remains higher than I would like. This idea of burned out beta cells is relatively recent and it is very important to address it which he does in the book. Most important, his approach works and I have dramatically dropped my medication and insulin requirements and have lost some 25 lbs in about 4 months with relatively little hunger using this approach.

His book is understandable but still interesting to an educated reader. I should put educated in quotes because so much of the medical information out there is so wrong still. I read his book on my kindle and it was easy to do so. And he does not advocate medication per se for everyone, only those who need it. And he gives the pros and cons and the science in the process. Like him, I could stop my medication, and I have for periods but even with perfect eating the fasting is still about 150 and inches up to 170-180 even if I eat only a little protein. I have experimented and those are the facts. So, the doctor is right and maybe some don't like that but those, again, are the hard facts.

So, again, I like his approach and I do not think he is overly aggressive or dogmatic about it, just realistic, scientific and giving his experience. Also, he tells you what is backed up by science, what isn't and what is his experience and one can judge it from there. I will be recommending this book to all my friends who are diabetic and even some who are probably prediabetic.

The only place where my experience is different from his is that for me the Atkins is not too hard to follow because of "cravings". I do find Atkins helpful and complementary which he does not. One can't agree on everything and I suspect he feels this way due to his patient experience and, perhaps, his personel experience. Certainly, there are plenty of cookbooks out there for Atkins and low carb that are compatible with his approach.

Also, one helpful thing he doesn't talk about is pork rinds, the one great low carb snack that is allowed. Wow, I used to make fun of people who bought these, but now I buy them because they are the only low carb snack type food I have found that is allowed when you want something like chips and they make wonderful breading ground up.

I should note that age and exercise plays a role in the medication thing since when I was younger and first diabetic I could eat low, low carb and drop my blood sugar to normal or exercise a lot and do likewise. With age this is not so and now in my 60's this does not work. One has to be flexible and realistic. I say this and again return to this issue of medication because of the review by the person who excoriated the doctor for advocating medication when it is needed. What can I say, these are the limitations of our genetics for some of us and also the legacy of many years of stressing our beta cells. Had I know all of this when I was younger maybe I now could be without medication but I and many others did not know this because it was not known then. Be flexible I say and experiment but still face facts when you must. This book helps you do that. For that I am grateful to the doctor.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2011 9:51:34 AM PDT
Leona says:
Thank you for your review of this book. I have read and am following Dr, Thompson's "Low glycemic load diet" for 2 months now and have lost 11.5 lbs as of 2 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes about 2 years ago, but never prescribed medication.

After reading this book, over 2 months ago, I called my PMD and requested he send me prescriptions to treat my diabetes and "elevated " cholesterol and triglycerides. (A1C 6.9%) .. also a glucometer. He sent me a prescription for the glucometer only and told me since I was on this new diet he would like me to retest my glucose and lipid profile the beggining of October before prescribing medication.

After I received the Glucometer and tested my fasting blood glucose (178) I called him and he sent m a prescription for metformin 500mg at betime. needless to say, if I had not requested he address my diabetes, I would not know how much damage I could have been doing to my body!

I emailed Dr. Thompson and told him about my situation. He avised me to get this book and said "if I was his patient", he would have me take "1000mg twice a day"

I check my blood glucose twice a day (average 150) for the past two weeks. I know my PMD will increase the metformin. I value my Doctor's opinion and will discuss my present
health care management with him.

Thank you for your suggestion about "Pork Rinds" I also have been eating them as a snack, including nuts, fruit and no sugar jello and pudding.

I am a retired R.N. for the past 10 years. I have been overweight all my life and struggled with trying to lose weight and keep it "off." I am an emotional overeater and use certain foods to make me feel "good" or "happy". Intellectually, I know this is not the answer. I keep telling my self that "starch" (bread, rice, potatoes sugary snacks)
are like poison and I have other choices!
Please feel free to send me any suggestions.

Best regards,
Leona

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 11:05:01 AM PST
Sam says:
Maybe your Kindle is on the blink? Pork rinds are discussed on p197 & included in a recipe on p198.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (25 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $3.75